Retainer fees- am i being taken for a ride?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Retainer fees- am i being taken for a ride?

Hello all, sorry if I am posting this in the wrong place but I have never used a forum before!

I have a question about retainer fees: I have 3 children who are looked after by an excellent childminder. She has recently gone on holiday for three weeks (well deserved as she cares for 7 kids in all!) before going she left my bill. I read it to find that for the three weeks she is away she has charged me a retainer (50% of normal fees). I understand that if I were going away this would apply but I'm not so sure if its the case when she is away as she wont be working???? Help!!! Im totally confused and I dont want to lose a great childminder nor do I want to have the micky taken out of me!

Registered Childminder since
    Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Retainer fees- am i being taken for a ride?

get your contract out, have a look and see if you have agreed to pay half fee for her holidays. Some Cms do (i personally dont, i charge full fees for parents hols though).

Have a chat with her (she might have changed her terms when she took another family on after you and she may be confused and has forgotten you are on different terms....as we all get confused sometimes )

hope this helps...someone who is more with it will come along in a bit

mandy xxxxx
    The bats have left the bell tower.....

jun 09
    Post Thanks / Like

definately check your contract or have a word with her when she comes back. If you've got a good relationship with her then this shouldnt be a big problem i would hope. xx

Aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I charge half fee for my holidays. I don't call it a retainer though, its holiday pay. Every one working a normal job is usualy intitled to full holiday pay 4 weeks of the year, so i don't feel cheeky asking for half. As you say she deserves this holiday and works hard, why should she be out of pocket for having what all the other honest hard working people out there have!
    Live & let live

April08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good nov 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I also dont charge for mine, but full fees for parent holidays. x

Jun 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 6
    Post Thanks / Like

It may just be a simple misunderstanding, don't worry too much, just have a chat with her when she comes back.
    Ali xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You really need to look at your contract - do you have a copy of it?

All childminders are different and therefore charge differently for holidays. Its not unusual for a childminder to charge nothing for theirs and full fee for your holidays, but equally acceptable to charge half fees for everyones holidays. Your contract should state what happens in the event of holiday payments

Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the replies!
    I do have a copy of my contract and there is nothing mentioned about fees being due when my childminder takes holidays only when I go away. Im confused as she has been away several times and one a couple of occassions she has charged and other times she hasnt. Dont know whether im coming or going!! xx

sep 90
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, does the invoice actually say "retainer fee" ? . I really doubt that it is a retainer but more than likely to be half fee for holiday pay. It should be on your contract as has already been said. Lots of cms charge half fee for their holiday and half fee for yours. Personally I dont charge anything for mine but full fee for parents holidays, so it basically all works out the same

The more people I meet the more I love my dog

AUG 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie5 View Post
    Thank you for the replies!
    I do have a copy of my contract and there is nothing mentioned about fees being due when my childminder takes holidays only when I go away. Im confused as she has been away several times and one a couple of occassions she has charged and other times she hasnt. Dont know whether im coming or going!! xx
    what contracts are they hun, perhaps if someone has the same on here they can go through it with you
    Mine are Morton Michel if that helps
    xx
    Jennie x x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mookins View Post
    what contracts are they hun, perhaps if someone has the same on here they can go through it with you
    Mine are Morton Michel if that helps
    xx
    was going to ask the same thing - are they Morton Michel, NCMA or her own contracts?

Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

they are just her own contracts and they do state retainer fee. She is back this week and I have arranged to go through things with her, hopefully that will get it sorted once and for all!! x

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

that's good though you should point out to her that it should not be a retainer fee. retainers are only for when she is available and you don't require her. If she's charging 50% then it is holiday pay, as someone said earlier.

I hope you get it sorted.

aly Guest

She shouldnt be charging you a retainer fee as a retainer is holding a place for you that is available.....for either holidays if term time or a new place.

what she could be charging you is a fee for her holiday...if itsnot on the contract you shouldnt be paying it...as far sometimes chaRGING YOU AND SOMETIMES NOT THEN THAT IS WRONG TOO...SHE CAN ONLY CHARGE YOU FOR WHATS on your contract.

I dont charge for my hols on my mindees as I see it my setting isnt available.

Check she hasnt confused you with someone else.

x

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    CC 4's & 5's
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by parsleypetal View Post
    get your contract out, have a look and see if you have agreed to pay half fee for her holidays. Some Cms do (i personally dont, i charge full fees for parents hols though).

Have a chat with her (she might have changed her terms when she took another family on after you and she may be confused and has forgotten you are on different terms....as we all get confused sometimes )
    This if it's not on your contract then it does sound like the above she has probably just forgotten.

x
    Me x

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

She has to stick to your contract or give you reasonable written notice of any changes. Retainers are to keep a place open for you to use when you are ready not for her time off.
    Why hasn't Gary Barlow come to my rescue yet?