Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Term time only

Registered Childminder since
    March09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Term time only

Just out of interest....I'd like some feedback from those of you with experience of term-time only contracts.
    How do you work fees - do you charge for school hols if you aren't caring for the children?
    I have been given advice to charge 50% during school hols when the place isn't being used as a retainer & charge a slightly higher hourly rate during term time to make up for the lost income over the year.
    What are your thoughts??
    H x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Term time only

I know that lots of childminders do charge retainers, but i prefer not to as i like to be a little quieter in the hols!It means i can spend a bit more time with my children, and we all fit in the cars for days out! I just charge my usual fee, it often works out tho that i have other children in the hols and so don't lose out on much!
    If you charge a retainer you have to be available to work, so i guess you just need to decide what suits you best, we all work a little differently!!

Ali

Non childminder member
    lazy bum!
    Post Thanks / Like

I only charged for hours booked in and was always able to fill holidays with holiday only children with it stated in contract that if parents require additional care during the hols they must book in 4 wks in advance if possible with no garrentee of gaining a space but do give the parents the option of paying a retainer so they do have a spce that can be used if needed.

one of my term time only used to moan about not coming so parents would call me to see if they can come for a play to help break up the hols, they did not pay a retainer and understood if i had to say no sometimes.
    Busy losing the will to live mwuahahahaha!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge for 39 weeks of the year and divide by 11 months (or 12) as long as parents are aware they will need to make up a shortfall if they leave during the academic year.

However, I did myself short this year as our school holidays were only 38 weeks and 2 days but bit hard to ask for 3 extra days money - really annoyed with the schools, I thought the teachers//TA's had to have so much holiday.

apr 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    'good'
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a lot of Teachers and TA's and if they choose 'term time only' thats what I charge for. It is quieter in the holidays (especially this one), but I do have siblings and children that I use to mind that have now started school come back for 'holiday only care'.

In my case I'm happy with this.

But I wouldn't think that you can say 'term time only' on your contracts then charge through the holidays, even if it is half rate..I would word it differently.

Also if you did charge anything for the hols to keep their place, you can't fill that place even with a temp mindee as that place is already booked out.

Hope you can understand what I'm on about