Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Hourly rate only?

I'm still pre-reg, awaiting CRBs and am in the process of advertising. I was thunking of just charging a flat hourly rate for all mindees- including before and after school, and including all snacks, meals, and only charge extra for special trips, eg zoo.
    Wondered if anyone else does this and are there any drawbacks to it?

Thanks.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hourly rate only?

The main one for me is You WOULD NOT make any money. If a child came for an hour is it worth the £3.50 unless you had lots?

I do session rates and I get paid more.
    Debbie

0ct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I do this but charge £4.50 per hour for 10 hours and above, and £5.50 per hour for less than 10 hours with a minimum of 2 hour charge after school and 4 hours during the day, but I will do 3 hours if it fits in.
    I only include snacks and petrol in this, everything else is supplied by the parents, I ask for a healthy lunch box and don't do evening meals.
    I tend to only offer a morning or all day session though but it just depends what comes your way.
    Don't start off being too cheap and including all the food as its harder to increase your rate, you can always negotiate a slightly different deal for each parent depending on their needs and hours wanted.

Oct 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It can work...I charge a flat hourly rate and have 18 children on my books, I work 7.30 am - 6pm monday to thursday and have only before and after schoolers on friday (my choice)...they are all part timers except one that comes monday-thursday.

In the holidays I am full and work a 5 day week.

it takes a bit of juggling but charging by the hour only, can work
    Last edited by sonia ann; 15-03-2010 at 01:35 PM.

TheBTeam Guest

I only charge by the hour but the hour rate reflects the amount of work involved, food, and total number of hours etc, it varies by a £1 to £2 an hour depending on what is involved and also how it fits etc.

I dont do session rates, simply because I dont want the children here unless i can see i am getting an hourly rate for it, and sometimes i quite like having less here, so dont want them being left because it is being paid for iyswim!

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I charge by the hour for schoolies as they are siblings to the full timers I have so its worth the £3.50 as I have their sibling.
    Paula

Oct 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheBTeam View Post
    I dont do session rates, simply because I dont want the children here unless i can see i am getting an hourly rate for it, and sometimes i quite like having less here, so dont want them being left because it is being paid for iyswim!

you have put into words exactly what I think but didn't want to say

Oct '06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i charge hourly - 3.50 pre school and 4.50 for schoolies if i did them (to allow for before and after care which may only add up to 1 - 2 hrs a day) - i think most minders in my area only do a hourly rate - i do offer a discount for a full timer but only if they are 40 or more hrs a week hth
    To the world you are one person, but to one person, you are the world.

APR 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I find when you start out you make lots of mistakes when it comes to fees etc, I know I did! Have been childminding for almost a yr.

Make sure you charge additional fee if they want you to feed the child, charge for special outings that you would have to pay for, charge more for unsocialble hours etc.

If you have an after school child charge more than £3.50 a day!!!! Thats the mistake I made and am regretting.

Good luck x

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the info. Think I'll start out with an hourly rate but have a minimum of 3 hours and I'll have to have a minimum charge for after schoolers as well.
    Like someone said, if I did a session rate (and I'm planning on being availabe 7.30 - 6) they might just leave their child all day cos they feel they've paid for it. Also I've spoken to a couple of childminders near here and they say that most seem to charge by the hour.

Post Thanks / Like

I charge an hourly rates and i think most minders in my area do the same

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

All the minders in this area charge by the hour - but I do have a minimum of 3 hours per day. Never had to use it though cos only have them for more than 3 hours - even after schoolers

Apr 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm also pre-reg and was going to charge by the hour, but I guess we should have a minimum charge (say 2 hours). I intended to include drinks and snacks but not meals.

Will have a read of your replies and see what others do.

Linda.

Mar 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Im still pre reg but I intend to charge £3.50 an hour but have said that for after school I have a minimum of 2 hours per day.

I do intend to have a slightly lower charge for full time 40hrs or more per week but at the moment the mindees I have waiting for me are all part time.

Is it a good idea to charge a min hours per day for all mindees?
    I can see what people are saying about child being left but I dont think its worth my while having ba child for an hour a day when someone might come along for 2.

Im not supplying food Im asking parents for healthy packed meals but will provide snacks and drinks. I will not be doing evening meals.

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I do a p/hr rate

I did have an enquiry for 1 hour 3 morning a week (to then drop off at nursery, I said no ) as to me not taking up a whole space for 1 hr a morning, so it can work. I am lucky as there is a demand for childminders and new I could fill the space

Mar '10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge a flat rate of £5ph per child that includes food/snacks but no trips/outings

Latest Inspection Grade
    6 Excellent
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge per hour for under schoolies and a session rate for afters.