Half fee for school hols
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Half fee for school hols

I've just had an enquiry from a parent that wants term time only.

I explained that I charge half fee during the school hols in order to keep the space open and she said there's no need for that as she definitely won't need any care during the hols! I wasn't sure what to say!

Is there another reason for charging half fee over hols as she didn't quite understand. She's calling back in a min so any advice appreciated.

jan 89
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Half fee for school hols

hi i charge half as there holding a fulltime place so you will lose out x amount of weeks pay plus if shes a teacher she gets full for hols

aug 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge term time only, but if you need thefees then id probably say to parent its so youcant fill the spaceas parent needs it for the term time, iyswim, can you not charge for term time onlyand advertise holiday only care to make up the difference?
    Marie.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

the retainer is to hold the space open for them to come back to in term time! and you are doing her a favour by charging half price rather than full price to do so!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps parent has never used childcare before and doesn't understand why you charge retainers.

It's up to you, you don't have to but you may be out of pocket if you can't get any children just for the holidays

If she is a teacher she will be paid for the school holidays anyway

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont charge for the holidays as I dont really want to work them with my older ones, although I do a few ad hoc days with some of them, and they pay as necessary

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I would tell her that a term time only contract uses the space that could be filled by a year round contract, therefore you are losing a lot of income by taking her on instead of someone else, so a half fee retainer is only fare, and nurseries only do year round contracts.
    Why hasn't Gary Barlow come to my rescue yet?

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

i charge half rate for holidays as i need to keep the space open for them to come back to!

one question i have is,
    can i charge the half rate to keep the space open, but not Guarantee a place if needed in the holidays??

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You can always say you will advertise the place and if you manage to sell it for the hols she doesnt have to pay.

I dont charge as I dont want to work, I think you are only supposed to charge if you are willing to allow them to use it but you would have to come to an arrangement about how much notice they have to give

Post Thanks / Like

I charge half fee for school holidays
    full fee if bank holiday falls on term time and contracted to that day
    if bank holidays in school holiday i charge half for that day

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Some people will charge a retainer so that the space is there at the end of the holidays.

I don't as I have children in the holidays that use the space.

If the parent is a first time childminder user she may not understand but she also may not want to pay it.

I would get her around, sell yourself and then approach the fees. You will be able to tell if she will pay or not and then you can decide if it is what you want for your setting.
    Debbie

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Charge her more per day than all year round contracts, That way she thinks she's getting a good deal and your covering a shortfall in wages.

may 01
    Non childminder member
    10/05/01
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karen s View Post
    i charge half rate for holidays as i need to keep the space open for them to come back to!

one question i have is,
    can i charge the half rate to keep the space open, but not Guarantee a place if needed in the holidays??
    if you charge a retainer fee during summer hols and the parent wants to drop the child in the odd day during the hols she will have to pay for those days seperate as she cannot take it out of the retainer fees ..... if the parents is taking the child out during summer and you charge the retainer fee you do not have to guarantee a place as you can offer the summer months to another parent ..... make sure you do up a seperate contract to state that the child will not be with you during the summer months and put on your retainer fees get parent to sign it and date it and keep a copy for youself....

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by upadaisy View Post
    if you charge a retainer fee during summer hols and the parent wants to drop the child in the odd day during the hols she will have to pay for those days seperate as she cannot take it out of the retainer fees ..... if the parents is taking the child out during summer and you charge the retainer fee you do not have to guarantee a place as you can offer the summer months to another parent ..... make sure you do up a seperate contract to state that the child will not be with you during the summer months and put on your retainer fees get parent to sign it and date it and keep a copy for youself....
    yes but if she asks to use the space and you can't offer it to her, then you would need to refund the money to her for the days she requested, I believe. The retainer is to keep the space available, therefore although you don't need to be avaiable at short notice, if you aren't you cannot really justify charging the money for that day, if you see what I mean.