Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbie, angry with myself!

Hiya
    Im a newly registered childminder. Had my first official enquiry for a full timer (7 months old) today. The lady is coming to see me Saturday. I am angry with myself as I decided that I was going to charge everybody £3 per hour. However, when the lady said "being as its a full time placement is there any negotiation on the fee" I just said yes! ahhhhhhhhhh. Im so weak and I havent started yet. Im thinking now that I might charge £2.90.

My childminder friends say that is good as I need to keep her sweet as full timers dont come along that often, is that right?
    Also she would be needing the place as from January, so do I charge her a deposit?
    Also the bubster is weaning, do I charge her any money for food?

My goodness its a minefield, I hope I get more organised in my head as I go along :-) I need to get a bit tougher dont you think? or I am never going to make a living. I have not partner so its just me and the baby

Any comments/advice would be fantastic.

mar 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Newbie, angry with myself!

If ur only charging that per hour i would say £x amount for food and maybe think about charging for outings. Make sure u get a retainer and deposit because the last contract i did the lady changed her mind and i had turned others away to keep the space

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chels55 View Post
    If ur only charging that per hour i would say £x amount for food and maybe think about charging for outings. Make sure u get a retainer and deposit because the last contract i did the lady changed her mind and i had turned others away to keep the space
    Yep 'zactly what she said ^^^^^

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

well done for getting your first enquiry. your friend is right in saying that full timers dont come along very often and your right wanting to snap them up. im not sure i would give a reduction on fees though, especially at that rate, but whats done is done and it would be hard now to go back on it.

if i was you though dont include food or wipes or anything in the fees so that you are not losing out, and can earn that little bit more.

Good luck

Aug 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't be too hard on yourself....when you are just starting out it can be so EASY to make mistakes. But believe me, you learn quick from them and don't ever make the same mistake twice lol . If that is your hourly rate, I would def. charge extra for meals and get her to supply the nappies, wipes and baby milk.

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A full-time contract is a very good start - if that is what it takes then I would drop the money too, it works out at less than a pound for an 8-9 hour day. I charge extra for food but I do not provide it until a baby is 12 months old/more fully weaned in case of allergy. I do not provide wipes, nappies, nappy cream, baby milk etc. again I explain this is in case of allergy and for hygiene reasons and mums seem quite happy.

It does get easier as you go along and get into the swing of it.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all your replies, they are a great help. I didnt think about allergies developing before 12 months/weaning etc. Probably a good idea for the mum to provide.

How much retainer do you usually charge? Is this taken off their total fee for the month or is it in addition to their fee

Oh my goodness I do hope I can get into the swing of things :-)

June 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd charge a deposit then knock it off 1st weeks invoice..... I'd also get my money upfront a week in advance.

Straws xx

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If she wants to start in Jan and signs up, I would take a half fee retainer till then. You are available now and would not be able to fill the space in the gap. You could be losing potential income as someone might have wanted to use your service from December for example.

I will be doing this (most have been immediate starters in the 15 years I have been minding) and have explained why to parents. Also a deposit for 4 weeks fees, refundable on fees when contract is ending. Then if they don't give notice you have notice money in hand. If they do, the 4 weeks are already paid up.

You live and learn and don't make the same mistakes many times A full time child is not so common around my area at the moment, but then I only ant to work 4 days a week
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks for your replies everybody.

I have a final thicko question ha ha.
    What is the difference between a Retainer and a Deposit? Is one non refundable and one refundable ?

Also how much deposit/retainer would you charge. I do want to keep her a bit sweet as I think its a good placement to have and she does sound on initial contact to be a quite nice person/responsible

Thanks
    Last edited by daytimedolly; 20-11-2009 at 07:56 PM.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok a retainer is usually paid by the parents who would like the place but don't want it to start for a few weeks or months. Non refundable.

A deposit can be taken to hold the place on a short term basis usually no more than 2 - 3 weeks and can be taken off the first weeks/months fees.

However , some minders take a deposit that they keep until the end of the contract to secure against un paid fees.

HTH

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    so you dont take the retainer fee of their first months invoice?

Also how much retainer/deposit is the norm to charge please?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daytimedolly View Post
    Hiya

My goodness its a minefield, I hope I get more organised in my head as I go along :-) I need to get a bit tougher dont you think? or I am never going to make a living. I have not partner so its just me and the baby

Any comments/advice would be fantastic.
    I promise it does get easier and you learn as you go along. How old is your lo? I would set a fee that you are happy with but ALWAYS ask for fees in advance.

Good luck. xx