Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Charging for every other friday?

Was wondering if anyone could help with my query?

I have a parent who has asked me to have her daughter tues, weds and thurs and every other fri, I advised her that as it was only every other friday I would still have to charge her every friday as it would be very difficult to find another child who needed the free fridays and therefore I would be loosing 2 days pay out of each month.
    Does everyone else agree with or am I wrong - or am I in one of these situation where there is no right or wrong answer????

Thanks guys x

sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Charging for every other friday?

i would charge her for it even if she doesnt use it as it will be so hard to fill that place and u will be losing business
    heaven = bar of galaxy

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It is one of those cases where it's up to you.

Personally I would only charge for every other Friday and would look forward to having an easier day on the weeks when you don't have the mindee.

I know there's the argument that you can't fill that space every other week, but I'm happy not to fill every hour of every day.

May 95
    Post Thanks / Like

As you said, there is no right or wrong answer here. I think it really depends on how much you want the business! If you need to take this child on then if you say you will charge every Friday she may go elsewhere and, to my mind, getting paid for Tues, Wed and Thurs every week and every other Friday is better than having an empty space on those days, but there is no work here so I am biased!

If you have a waiting list, or work is not scarce in your area then feel free to tell her that you will have to charge. Maybe you could say that should you manageto fill the place then you would stop charging, you never know, she might know someone who would love that space!

Let us know what you decide and whether she takes the place.

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

the right thing is too charge for every friday as you can't fill the space.

Thats what i would say to her. if you dont get a good reaction and could potentially loose the mindee altogether over it then i would compromise and charge full for the days used and half fee for every other friday.

It depends on how much you need the money at the moment and if you could afford to loose them

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Could you charge a half fee for the fridays that are not used as a retainer?
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

What about half fees as a retainer for the Friday she doesn't use

June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your advise, I think it is half and half and therefore there isnt a right answer. The parent in question is very unhappy with the nursery that her daughter currently attends and has enquired into other possible care, without luck, she is familiar to me as a parent at the same school that my own two boys go to and therefore I think this gives her more reason to be happier for me to have her child. I also work out cheaper than the nursery fees she is used to paying - including 4 fridays per month not just every other, I will always of course be available to her if she need me any friday - does this sound fair to people who thought I possibly shouldnt charge for all the fridays??

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Merry-Minder View Post
    Thank you for your advise, I think it is half and half and therefore there isnt a right answer. The parent in question is very unhappy with the nursery that her daughter currently attends and has enquired into other possible care, without luck, she is familiar to me as a parent at the same school that my own two boys go to and therefore I think this gives her more reason to be happier for me to have her child. I also work out cheaper than the nursery fees she is used to paying - including 4 fridays per month not just every other, I will always of course be available to her if she need me any friday - does this sound fair to people who thought I possibly shouldnt charge for all the fridays??
    I think that sounds very fair.

Like I said, I personally wouldn't charge for every Friday, but that's just how I work. I'm not saying you shouldn't, just that I wouldn't. I think most minders I know would charge. Maybe it's got something to do with having been a working mum & paying for childcare - I know I'd have appreciated any reduction in nursery fees!

If the mum is prepared to pay for every Friday and you're available for every Friday, then go for it

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would charge for every week or at least half fee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Merry-Minder View Post
    I think it sounds very fair. As already said there is no right or wrong answer but this parent will probably be happy to have found better alternative care at a cheaper price.

Good luck with it

Miffy xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a little boy Tuesday, Wednesday for about a year. Mum has just upped the hours to every other Friday. I only charge her for the Friday's I care for her son.

This suits me because it means if I don't have him, I have the day to myself as the only other child I have on Fridays is a schoolchild who's 8.

It really is up to you what you decide to charge. Try charging her for every Friday and see what she says. If she says it's too much then you could say you will charge her half fee, that way it looks like you are being very generous!!!
    littletreasures xx

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

i have a 3 CHILDREN BEFORE AND AFTER SCHOOL MON-FRI BUT EVERYOTHER WEEK THEY GO TO THEIR DADS SO DONT NEED PICKING UP ON FRIDAY. I DONT CHARGE FOR THIS

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

excuse the caps didnt realise i had clicked it on

June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: Charging for every other friday?

Hi guys,
    Thank you so much for all your advise! I gave the parent my price, and she was very happy, considering the nursery she intends on pulling her daughter out of would have charged her over £60 more for the same hours!
    She has now given her notice to the nursery and coming to visit me to complete contracts on Monday - although I did advise her wait giving notice until we had talked properly - she is clearly eager, I just hope she will be happy!!!