Thread: FUNDING???!!!!

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good :-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default FUNDING???!!!!

HELLO
    I AM STARTING WITH A LITTLE BOY TOMMORROW WHOSE MUM IS STARTING UNI AND WILL BE PAYING ME THROUGH HER STUDENT GRANT AND CREDITS THAT SHE GETS FROM DOING HER COURSE....THE ONLY THING IS APPARENTLY THE FUNDING IN MY AREA IS COMPETLEY BEHIND SCHEDULE AND SHE SAID THAT SHE WONT BE ABLE TO GIVE ME ANY MONEY FOR ANOTHER 6 WEEKS!!! I CANT TURN HER AWAY AS SHE WOULDNT BE ABLE TO START UNI AND PLUS SHE IS SUPPOSED TO HAVE BEEN PAYING A RETAINER TO ME OUT OF THIS MONEY FROM BEG OF AUGUST!!!! I WASNT EXPECTING TO GET ANY FUNDS TILL END OF SEPT BUT DIDNT EXPECT TO HAVE TO WAIT YET ANOTHER MONTH!!!!
    HAS ANYONE ELSE BEEN IN THIS POSITION AND IF SO WHAT HAVE YOU DONE? I ALWAYS ASK FOR MONEY UPFRONT BUT THIS IS A COMPLETLY DIFFERENT SITUATION HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: FUNDING???!!!!

Personally I wouldn't mind the boy until money issues were sorted out. You are not a charity! I've been messed around over money by two sets of parents who couldn't grasp the simple concept that I needed paying and I needed it ON TIME. I went through so much stress trying to get paid and quite honestly wouldn't want to risk being put in that situation again.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. what if she drops out of uni and funding is stopped then you might not see a penny for your 6 weeks work. she will have to beg or borrow. Tell her to speak to her student welfare team and ask them. sometimes the uni's can help out.

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

its a hard decission but i know that students are behind with payouts at the minute.

i think i would do it as long as you are not desperate for money or 6 weeks is a long time to wait

Feb o7
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been in a very similar position and it makes me very cross.

I minded two siblings,mum at uni at the whole payment situation was a total nightmare! I ended up sorting it myself and speaking to student finance.

My situation was exassperated by the fact that mum was really disorganised{or lazy depending on which way you looked at it }

The whole time I was constantly on her back about being paid which obviously caused alot of resentment.

I believe that she was receiving help from the uni to pay for her childcare{I ended up sorting her grant as well} and in the first instance they wouldn't release any money until she had attended fo r about 4 weeks. After that she had to fill in and submit yet another form and then they paid termly.

In the end by the time I got the Sept term payment it was nearly Christmas!!!

All the time no-one seemed to grasp that I was feeding other people's children out of my own pocket.

It makes me very cross,because the government are constantly going on about how they want to help people on low incomes,help lone parents etc.
    The reality is that the system makes it incredibly hard.

Sorry to be soooo negative. My advice would be that if you can afford to work for a few weeks with no money then go for it. But be prepared for a lengthy wait.
    {By the way,they don't pay deposits or retainers and I was told that the notice period is the parent's responsibility}

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

perhaps you can get a letter from the college to the effect that if you agree to do it unpaid they will guarantee to pay you the money for hours worked regardless of whether she drops out or not.

If I didn't have something like this I wouldn't do it.

feb 91
    Post Thanks / Like

Mum should be paying you out of her own pocket and you can refund her when the funding comes through.
    I'll bet she can find money for new clothes for uni etc.

Sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good :-)
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for your replies.
    I started with him on monday and mum said that her grant has now been accepted as an online status which means it may now be just a 4 week wait for funds!!!!! I am kicking myself as she said that they would cover a retainer fee too until she started and in the holidays but reading your replies it doesnt now look like that is likely!!! That means I will loose out on approx £900 as kept place open for her from beg of august!!!and turned down other mindees who wanted the place!! AGHHHHHH. Oh well its my fault and you learn from your mistakes I suppose :-( I have tried to speak to the grant service but cant get through!!
    Even though I stupidly didnt take a deposit from her do you think I have the right still to charge her for the retainer fee if the uni doesnt cover this??? I know she wont have this kind of money but on the other hand its my business!!

Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I would keep trying to speak to someone officially about the grant money, and get somthing in writing if you can.
    Also I would try to get the retainer out of her, even if you sit down and discuss the situation and see what she can afford (better than nothing atall). But if you had it in a contract, then you could take it to a small claims court.

Have you tried taking it to NCMA for advice (if you are a member)?