Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Am I too expensive?

I am a bit upset as my mindees are leaving in 2 weeks and they have only been coming 2 weeks. I work from 8 till 6pm and they need to have someone to do 7.30 everyday and to be honest, its enough to have them from 8 til 5.30.

I said I could think about it, but the mum then replied that they have put her (2yr old) down for a nursery which is £10 cheaper than me a day. I charge £40 per full day and £3.75 per hour and £160 per week for a full time 5 day week placement, I cant compete with the nursery and explained what I have to offer is a more personalised service, but they obviously want to save all of £10 for the week.

Am I too pricey?

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Am I too expensive?

I personally think only you can say of your too expensive.
    Have you considered what other childminders in your area are charging ?

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I always think it depends on what the other childminders are charging in your area? I know in my area that childminders charge as little as £2.00 an hr!! And proberbly the most is £3.50. I charge £3.00 but are always..fingers crosses pretty full up. If i was to charge £3.75 i doubt i would get any children but like i say it depend what others are charging! I worked in a nursery before becoming a childminder and for a full day 8 -6 was only £32.00. To me £3.75 is alot but i think thats because i only charge £3.00. I think sometimes you have got to lower the price. but as you say cant understand why you would move a child for the sake of £10 a week! Especially when they get alot more one to one interaction with a childminder hope this helps

V xx

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

i charge £150 for a full week and don't include meals - depends on your area but tbh i can't see why a parent would come to you for 2 weeks when the nursery is cheaper to begin with and then change their minds, very weird.
    Blessed Be!

Aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Between £3.50 and £3.75 per hour is the going rate.

Aug 01
    Post Thanks / Like

I always go on the going rate in my area. I don't do a per day or half day rate as i really can't be bothered by the hassle ever since i started 8 years ago i have just charged an horly rate.

My current rate is £4.00 per hour without food or £4.25 with an evening meal included. saying that my rate will be going up from January to £4.25 & £4.50.
    £4.75 per hour & extra for food, she has not got any work at the moment.

My parents know about this and are more than happy to pay. I start at 7.30 as i have a couple of parents who start work at 8 and as i am up with my children its not a problem for me

Good luck in finding replacements for the 2 you are losing

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Well maybe you could try and lower to £3.50?

Aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by viclou88 View Post
    I always think it depends on what the other childminders are charging in your area? I know in my area that childminders charge as little as £2.00 an hr!! And proberbly the most is £3.50. I charge £3.00 but are always..fingers crosses pretty full up. If i was to charge £3.75 i doubt i would get any children but like i say it depend what others are charging! I worked in a nursery before becoming a childminder and for a full day 8 -6 was only £32.00. To me £3.75 is alot but i think thats because i only charge £3.00. I think sometimes you have got to lower the price. but as you say cant understand why you would move a child for the sake of £10 a week! Especially when they get alot more one to one interaction with a childminder hope this helps

V xx
    Well thats it, for a week which includes meals I dont think its too much for £160, I may move my price down to £3.50 I think.

Post Thanks / Like

Could it be that nursery was always the plan, and that the had to wait until a space became available, and now it has? and maybe they were just using you in the meantime?? it happens

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mississmoomoo View Post
    Well thats it, for a week which includes meals I dont think its too much for £160, I may move my price down to £3.50 I think.
    Yeah you could always put it back up in the future. Could you not lower the price for the child that is going to nursery or are they dead set in moving? saying that they new the price when they picked you!! tut!! x

Aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAROLYN View Post
    Could it be that nursery was always the plan, and that the had to wait until a space became available, and now it has? and maybe they were just using you in the meantime?? it happens
    Possibly, who knows, but I am quite upset about it as the bonding has been for nothing.

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it for two children?

jun 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

i recon carolyn is right on the mark there you was used as a stop gap

if i was you i would ring up other childminders in your area and ask how much they are charging just say your looking for your own children and most will tell you over the phone its no secret in our town what everyone charges and the ones that are experenced and have qualification seem to get filled up first

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, definitely look around and find out what other local childminders are charging. Some of their fees might be on the CIS site.

Maybe something has happened to their finances and they have been forced to make savings and this is one of them? They probably wouldn't tell you that as it's quite personal. Even if it's only £10 p/w, every little adds up when you're a bit short.

Before you lower your prices though check with others in your area.

Hope you get some new mindees soon.

x

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge a daily rate of £36.00 with food or an hourly rate of £4.25, so for a five day week 8-6 thats £180 a week. Yes a nursery may be cheaper for them but don't forget that as a childminder you are limited on the amount of under fives you can have, you have lots of expenses and you provide a much more individual and probably a more flexible service than a nursery. I believe an under five has more one to one time and obviously better continuity of care with a childminder. They also get experiences of local groups, park visits and outdoor time in general more than nursery children would. I'm sure you provide a valuable service and if these parents would rather save money then thats up to them. Don't sell yourself short, I feel childminders should be well paid instead of being moaned at about fees all the time. I hope things pick up for you.

Dec 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge £15 a day, and parents struggle with that, but then I dont live in a very affluent area.

Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge £4 per hour, I only have space for 1 child ontop of my own, so I need to make it worth my while.
    I have not got anyone yet, but have a lady coming to visit tomorrow and also a few enquirys I could not take on, and they know the price.
    When you consider all our expenses, it doesnot always pay to go cheaper and you may be left out of pocket in the end. I would wait if you can at your current price to see if someone else comes along.
    Just put it down to a bad experience.

Aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice girls. Its cheered me up as I sink into a bottle of wine . I think I was a bit shocked when she told me, I did mention that I have had an enquiry from someone whos LO is at the nursery she is on about putting her daughter into as he hasnt settled at all since starting so they are looking for alternative.

Needless to say I have been to the nursery when looking for childcare myself back in January and both me and my husband were totally put off by the way it was set up like a cattle market and all the carers looked no older than 18 and had faces liked a slapped bottom. It was far from a nice homely environment.

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by julie w View Post
    I charge £15 a day, and parents struggle with that, but then I dont live in a very affluent area.
    How on earth do you manage to make a living from that amount, what is your hourly rate? .
    I charge £3.50 for less than 20hrs a week and £3.40 for 20hrs +
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

i charge £3.50 an hour with food. since i changed to this from £3.75 i have got 5 kids

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast