I love the idea of putting my fees up by 18% to stop parents complaining

Registered Childminder since
    Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bank Holiday Charges

pipsqeak, mouse....stop teasing me ...............lol

of course they will moan about prices, they always do.....
    they are the ones who do not get through the interview process !!!

if they begin by complaining or want to start bargaining when I tell them about my charges, I give them one chance to see the error of their views. If, after the explanation of my charges (what good value I am and what a bargain they are getting) they still want to bargain me down, then I am afraid that they will not be leaving their child with me.

My criteria at the interview are as follows (in this order)
    1. Have to like the child
    2. Have to like the parents
    3. Parents have to buy into my way of looking after their child - I am the professional
    4. They have be available, to fill the spaces that I have open
    5. They have to agree to my charges and payment of these charges in advance

as the meerkat says 'seemple'

I am the business owner, I run my business to suit ME.

In turn, I do not tell Sainsbury's, Tesco's, British Gas etc how to run their business or how much I am prepared for their goods/services. If their prices/methods do not suit me, I go elsewhere.

If you start off 'on the right foot', you will eliminate all those parents who are condescending enough to tell you how to run your CM business, who think that they are in control, who think that they are doing you a favour by paying you for a service.

In short they will give you respect and if they do not, if they 'slip back', then you can always give notice and get somebody who does respect you.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    pipsqeak, mouse....stop teasing me ...............lol

of course they will moan about prices, they always do.....
    they are the ones who do not get through the interview process !!!

if they begin by complaining or want to start bargaining when I tell them about my charges, I give them one chance to see the error of their views. If, after the explanation of my charges (what good value I am and what a bargain they are getting) they still want to bargain me down, then I am afraid that they will not be leaving their child with me.

My criteria at the interview are as follows (in this order)
    1. Have to like the child
    2. Have to like the parents
    3. Parents have to buy into my way of looking after their child - I am the professional
    4. They have be available, to fill the spaces that I have open
    5. They have to agree to my charges and payment of these charges in advance

as the meerkat says 'seemple'

I am the business owner, I run my business to suit ME.

In turn, I do not tell Sainsbury's, Tesco's, British Gas etc how to run their business or how much I am prepared for their goods/services. If their prices/methods do not suit me, I go elsewhere.

If you start off 'on the right foot', you will eliminate all those parents who are condescending enough to tell you how to run your CM business, who think that they are in control, who think that they are doing you a favour by paying you for a service.

In short they will give you respect and if they do not, if they 'slip back', then you can always give notice and get somebody who does respect you.
    I agree with you thoughts but would never give notice if I found the parents to be a pain. After all children are not like a tin of soup that you can return because you don't like the taste. They need nuturing and the ones who need out support.
    Debbie

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about the teasing

I have great respect from my parents & over the years have had very few problems. The key to it for me has always been to make everything very clear from the begining, to remain businesslike at all times & to be consistent with how I run my business. I am the one who sets the terms for my business, not the parents, but that doesn't mean I don't take their views into account. I think there always needs to be a bit of give & take.

That's worked for me & I prefer that approach to a "tow the line or you're out" approach!

Latest Inspection Grade
    6 Excellent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieS26 View Post
    I agree with you thoughts but would never give notice if I found the parents to be a pain. After all children are not like a tin of soup that you can return because you don't like the taste. They need nuturing and the ones who need out support.

But IME if there's a breakdown in the relationship with parents then it is best to part for the benefits of everyone, children included. Sorry but to me that's just like saying people should stay in a bad marriage, for the sake of the children... which is complete tosh imo.

But that's another thread! Can't ahve another thread about a thread about a thread!!

Bank hols - in Scotland it totally confuses me as the only holiday that is really bothered about (apart from the xmas ones) is Jan 2nd and May Day. No thers seem to be observed, the kids even go back to school after Easter on what (to me as English!) is a Bank Hol.

I therefore work them all apart from above and I take Good Friday off too, and I don't charge for them, but when it's one observed elsewhere I don't charge extra.

Maybe someone else in Scotland will come along and explain it better than I!

Post Thanks / Like

i charge double for attendence, nothing if they dont, i like them off

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I do like Oldtimer's way of working out the figures but I must point this out - the actual minimum holiday for employees in this country is 5.6 weeks x whatever hours or days that you do. Employers can include the 8 bank holidays in that 5.6 weeks (plenty do, mine included) So, the minimum holiday is actually 4 weeks (or 20 days) plus the bank holidays for full timers. Not 28 days plus the bank hols. 28 days in TOTAL. I work in payroll & accounts - cannot WAIT to get out! Also can't wait to give myself 7 weeks holiday a year - whoopee!!

May 95
    Post Thanks / Like

A childminder from Portsmouth brought this to my attention way back in May so it was brought up as an issue at the South East RPF in June. Very few childminders were aware of it as not many had used the new contracts yet but none were happy about the changes, what a surprise! It was fed back to the NPF meeting but nothing more has been heard.

On Saturday I attended the NCMA AGM in London and this subject was brought up several times and I have asked for it to be on the agenda for the NPF meeting on October 17th so hopefully we will get some answers then. It was made clear on Saturday to senior NCMA staff, directors and board members that we are:
    1. Not happy to be dictated to in this way or to have parents told that we should not be charging;
    2. Not happy that we were not consulted about the change before it was made;
    3. Not happy with the inconsistency of being told we cannot charge for BHs if we are not prepared to work but also being told that we should negotiate 2 weeks paid holiday!

Will pass on any information I get as soon as I can.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Madminder View Post
    A childminder from Portsmouth brought this to my attention way back in May so it was brought up as an issue at the South East RPF in June. Very few childminders were aware of it as not many had used the new contracts yet but none were happy about the changes, what a surprise! It was fed back to the NPF meeting but nothing more has been heard.

On Saturday I attended the NCMA AGM in London and this subject was brought up several times and I have asked for it to be on the agenda for the NPF meeting on October 17th so hopefully we will get some answers then. It was made clear on Saturday to senior NCMA staff, directors and board members that we are:
    1. Not happy to be dictated to in this way or to have parents told that we should not be charging;
    2. Not happy that we were not consulted about the change before it was made;
    3. Not happy with the inconsistency of being told we cannot charge for BHs if we are not prepared to work but also being told that we should negotiate 2 weeks paid holiday!

Will pass on any information I get as soon as I can.

Brilliant. thanks for this. keep us posted.

Aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

On the ICP course we were told that we should charge for BH. I am charging for BH and I am available for all BH except in the xmas period, where I do not charge anything as I am not available. However if they do decide to use my service it will be charged at double time which is stated in the contract.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12