Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug2007
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I did it! I raised my fees!

As of September I'll have been minding for 2 years and I've kept my fees then same.

I've just handed out July's bills along with a letter telling parents that as of 1st sept 09 my hourly rate will be increasing by 20p.

I've been debating on doing it and I'm so pleased with myself now I've actually done it, I'm useless at money things and worry I'm going to upset someone!

One mum opened her bill in the playground, I panicked when she walked up to me, but it was only to tell me that I didn't need to have her 2 tomorrow afternoon as she has the day off!
    Lucy

Jul 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I did it! I raised my fees!

Well done! 20p an hour after 2 yrs is certainly not a shocking amount so don't think parents should complain

Oct 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Its always scary, wondering how they will react.
    Well done, I'm sure you deserve the increase.

July 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done Lucy You deserve the increase.

I had the same conversation last Wednesday but it was the parent that instigated

Carol xx

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well done it must have taken lots of guts, only be registered 6mths so not needed to do it yet
    Paula

Oct 02
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well Done. Informing parents can be nerve wracking - every time I put my fees up I build myself up to informing parents but they have always been ok about it

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done!!

I'm thinking of raising my fees by 50p per hour for my mindee. I haven't raised it for 2 years. Do you think that's too much or should I do 25p?
    littletreasures xx

Non childminder member
    lazy bum!
    Post Thanks / Like

I've not raised mine for 3 years ... when I informed parents verbally they all moaned big time so didnt bother .. silly me huh
    Busy losing the will to live mwuahahahaha!

Nov 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi - I think talking about money with parents is really embarrassing, I always dread it. I think it's one of the worst parts of our job - it's never easy asking people for money!

But I raise my fees every year on 1st January, giving one month's notice in writing prior to that, so my parents expect it. Remember, a few pence increase every year will only just keep your take-home pay in line with inflation.

So well done!

Hilary

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I put mine up when i have new mindees with times being hard its best to have some money coming in than none at all I DID THIS ONCE AND ONE PARENT SAID TO ME ALL I was interested in was making money she then finished with me and went to someone who was not a childminder...

veronicax

Mar 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just given out my letters today for a fee increase in September and have stated that they will now rise every sept. One parent opened hers and signed it (didn't look that happy). I have put mine up for before/after school by 20p per hr and full timer by £1 per day. Like you never put it up before and been minding for 2 years!

March09
    Post Thanks / Like

Could someone give me a bit of help please- I charge £27 for a full day and £19 for half day I was recentle told bu NICMA that I am the cheapest childminder in the area! I include food in my price as well and other childminders are charging at least £30 without food- I was thinking about putting my fees up to £30 and £20 is this too much of a jump I was going to say that after this I would not be putting them up for the next two years.

Also would anyone have a copy of the letter they send out letting parents know about fee increase I'm terrible at writing those letters.
    Thanks in advance

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I upped my fee last September - but I didnt have any mindees at the time, so it was just a case of when the next one came my fee was £* per hour.

I felt that was easier than raising it when somebody was here, so was cheating a bit lol!!
    Helen

Post Thanks / Like

Well done Lucy

Angel xx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angel9199 View Post
    Could someone give me a bit of help please- I charge £27 for a full day and £19 for half day I was recentle told bu NICMA that I am the cheapest childminder in the area! I include food in my price as well and other childminders are charging at least £30 without food- I was thinking about putting my fees up to £30 and £20 is this too much of a jump I was going to say that after this I would not be putting them up for the next two years.

Also would anyone have a copy of the letter they send out letting parents know about fee increase I'm terrible at writing those letters.
    Thanks in advance

I don't think a rise from £27 to £30 is a lot for parents. Sit down and explain to them why you are doing it and they will voice any objections and you can negotiate. Or you can tell them that you are introducing a cost for food of £x as prices have risen so much in the last year and their child is older and eating more.

I would advise everyone to do a rate review each year and even if you don't increase it, make sure you email the parent and tell them. That way they know what you are doing and won't be surprised the following year.
    Debbie