not sure what to charge.... please help
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default not sure what to charge.... please help

Hi ladies, i have been registered since october 08 but due to circumstances i havnt been able to have any children as until now. i have had a lady ring me today... a friend of a friend who wants before and after school care for her two boys. times will be roughly 7am start until around 6 or 7pm evening depending on traffic etc. she will be getting 80% fees paid for her..... so any suggestions on what to charge or anything you think i shoiuld be mindful off? any advice will be appriciated as this will be my first contract

Thanks xx

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: not sure what to charge.... please help

You need to decide what your comftable core hours of work are. I work 7.30-5.30 and anything over than that I charge higher.

Even though she gets 80% paid for her she still has to find 20% per child which if you are on minimum wage take a big chunk out of it. - I've been there!

For me I would charge more 7-7.30 and again after 5.30. If its a lot of money you could always get her to pay monthly through out the year as that is what tax credits will do anyway so she will still be paying you in the holidays when they don't come.
    Paula

Post Thanks / Like

I would charge a higher rate before 8am and after 6pm but it's up to you.

Miffy xx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If this was me it would be £38.00 school holidays, £14.00 after school plus food. These rates would be from 8am to 6pm and any later would be at £5.70 per hour (time and a half) and in the morning I would charge £5.00 from 7-8am and £5.70 any time before this.

If you work out the whole year based on these figures and give her a weekly fee based on the year then she will have to pay you approx £43.85 with tax credits paying £175.42. I have included food aswell. This is assuming that she will get the whole 80%. On top of this if she can access the childcare vouchers that would give her approx £50 per month in additional wages and this would bring her commitment down to £32.32 a week.

£38 x 5 x 14 weeks (hols and Teacher Training Days) = £2660
    £20 x 5 x 14 weeks (lunch and tea) = £1400

£5 x 5 x 52 weeks (morning 7-8am) = £1300
    £5.70 x 5 x 52 weeks (6-7pm which needs to be included "in case") = £1482

£14 x 5 x 38 weeks (after school) = £2660
    £10 x 5 x 38 weeks (tea) = £1900

Total would be £11402 divided by 52 = £219.27 per week

Hope that is helpful.

The rates are just based on my area but you will need to research yours and change the figures accordingly.
    Debbie

Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your help and suggestions. the lady is actually going to uni and is a single mum so im not sure if she will get other funding?

Also my usual hours would be 7.00am-6pm but i dont mind working around her as i already sort of know her and i was prepared to be flexible if need be
    Last edited by Ebs71; 07-06-2009 at 01:45 PM.

Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

She also mentioned that in the 6 week school hols she wants the children to go the care club at the school because their friends are there but wants to drop them to me before it opens at 10 and pick them back up at the end of day..... so will have to work out how to charge nearer the time

ohh my head is fizzled....