Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Another before and after school question

Hi, I have an enquiry for before and after schoolie aged 5 from September. I have spoken to parents and given them my charges etc.

Now, they have written me a very long letter stating they want me to look after their child and agreeing and not agreeing to certain things. One of the issues if of course holidays.

He will be coming two afternoon three till six, actually he put in his letter 3.10 to 6.10, but I charge from 3 as have to get there, but that's another story. He will also be coming three other morning only from 8 till nine.

He states that he does not need holiday cover for Oct half term and Christmas this year. He want me to look after child first week in Sept full time as school starts week later.

Just for this year only, I am taking holiday for 10 days and he is querying paying half for this. I have decided wont charge him for this. But, what should I charge him for holidays, just half fees for the two days he comes in the afternoon, although he may want more days as going to do a mixture of holidays clubs etc.

I just need to get it right and everything in the contract as I just know he will be one of those parents who will question everything.

I am taking him on for three morning only for an hour, and while this does not affect numbers at the moment as I am allowed three over 5's, I was wondering whether I could put something in contract to cancel this if I find I need the space further down the line, which I doubt, but you never know.

Appreciate your replies.

Thanks

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Another before and after school question

Alarm bells are ringning to me about this sort of parent. I agree that a contract may be there to be negoiated to a degree but dont let him gring you own so its all on his terms.

You dont have to worry about putting it in his contract about possibly cutting the mornings later down the line. As per the contract anyway - you can give 4 weeks notice to changes.

Personally i wont be charging for my hols so i cant help here.

As for the school hols, i would make him choose whether he wants all year round contract , and therefore pay whether he uses you or not. OR a term time only contract, and let him find his own hol care every hol, and leaving you the space to offer to someone who needs hol care only.

hth and you can understand me! hope i havent rambled on!

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    MET
    Post Thanks / Like

Or of course have two contracts, one for term time and a separate one for school holidays.
    Charlotte
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand

Septemb
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

mmm...not sure if it helps but I have mindees before and after school who may or may not use me in the holidays and they charge half fee (of their term time hours) in the holidays and if they use me they pay the hourly rate. I could have a child who needs cover in the holidays too so they pay the retainer in the holidays to keep their space.

I don't charge if I am unable to work.

Good luck...
    Nix, xx

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a set fee for before and after school care NO negotiations (spl??) at all

they don't like it then they go elsewhere.

i would do a term time only contract (no fee during holidays) but charge slightly more for term time
    for example
    I charge £5 for before school and £10 for after school plus holidays...
    for term time i'd charge £5 for before and £15 for after school
    IS BACK

Nov 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would give them the option and say you are happy to do a term time only contract and they wont be charged for holidays if they do not need you but you can not guarentee them a place in the holidays unless they pay a retainer - half of their weekly/daily contracted amount even if they do not need you but full fees if they do

This is what I do and it works well. Parents are asked to give me at least 1 months paid notice to guarentee a space during the holidays for the days they will require. This also means I can care for other children who I would not normaly have after school who need care during the holidays and means I am not out of pocket but its very important thats the parents are aware that this may happen and that it is very important to reserve days they will need in the holidays. I ask for them to be paid upfront as some parents do mess your about and reserve days then not turn up

As For time off any other time, I would charge them full fee if they are off and no fee if I am off

HTH

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, either he wants holiday cover or he doesn't - he can't have it both ways.

However, if you are prepared to say do so many days or weeks cover for holidays that is fine. Just make sure you are happy with it and he's not dictating to you. Might be nice to have the holiday cover money coming in but have some of the time off.