Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mother says ing cant pay when off

i spoke to my first enquiry (she been waiting nearly year to get son to me)
    she knows i want 4 weeks off a year (max - tho prob wont use it as dont go away etc) she basically said that when she is off due to illness or her holiday she cant afford to pay me !! ..... tho she knows if she off i still require payment .. i dont know what say to her as im already feeling she telling me how run my business (saying she need reciepts, etc etc - erm yea i know that told her she get them on payment)

grrr parents
    To Dare Is To Do

Pipsqueak Guest

Default Re: Mother says ing cant pay when off

Your business your rules, if you are not in agreement no sign contracts.

There probably aren't many people who can't afford to pay childminder/nursery or the like when their child isn't attending but who is to say that she or her child isn't going to have a day of a week "sick" because she can't be arsed to pay you properly. She could take time of from you willy nilly and your income decreases rapidly.
    Think I would counter that by saying a firm no or telling her the cost per hour will be xxx (think of a nice shocking figure for your area) and that she will have to pay for your holidays and sick days - and you reserve the right to take upto 6 weeks paid hols.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    Your business your rules, if you are not in agreement no sign contracts.
    So why does she think she can't pay, bet you, she gets holiday pay and if she gets WFTC she will still get them.

A cm I know does this but some weeks she only has mindee one or two day because nana etc have them.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Post Thanks / Like

Does she receive tax credits ? If she is ill she is hardly likely to give them a call is she so she will still receive her money therefore she can still pay you

I would not change my rules for anyone

It is her problem and not yours

Angel xx

Non childminder member
    lazy bum!
    Post Thanks / Like

stick to your rules and policies, if she cant abide by them then dont give in or she will see you as a push over and try to get away without paying at other times.

I do not charge for my holidays but that is my choice. NCMA do recomend cm's take 4 weeks paid holidays a year, maybe you could get the information from the NCMA website to back up your recomentation to take paid hols.
    Busy losing the will to live mwuahahahaha!

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annie_T View Post
    i spoke to my first enquiry (she been waiting nearly year to get son to me) she knows i want 4 weeks off a year (max - tho prob wont use it as dont go away etc) she basically said that when she is off due to illness or her holiday she cant afford to pay me !! ..... tho she knows if she off i still require payment .. i dont know what say to her as im already feeling she telling me how run my business (saying she need reciepts, etc etc - erm yea i know that told her she get them on payment)

grrr parents
    At the end of the day it is your business and you set your rates and what they pay for which is why I don't charge for my holidays but some childminders do - neither is wrong we just run our businesses differently.

Stick to your guns and if she doesn't like it then she will have to look elsewhere. In my mind if she 'wins' on this besides you having to let other parents do the same she will continue to push your rules.

Stick to your guns
    love Kate
    Save the earth it's the only planet with chocolate

Aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't budge - could be a sign of what is to come! If she doesn't like it she'll have to find someone else.

Mel

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like she's trying it on to me.

I wouldn't budge on this - if you do there will be something else she doesn't want to pay for...........

Good luck

Miffy xx

Apr 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say I can't afford to reduce my fees, but I could offer the option of a different weekly rate so she doesn't have to pay anything during those 4 weeks holiday. This might be a little helpful if she is self-employed.

ie, 52 weeks fees divided by 48 payments = new weekly fee inclusive of holiday payments.

People often try it on, claiming they've found someone else at half the price etc. I now just say, well I'm sorry I can't afford to drop my fees so I'll quite understand if you no longer wish to continue with the arrangement.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would stick to my terms and that is it. If she has waited a year for you a few pennies won't hurt.
    Debbie

May 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 5
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't budge on this one either - sounds like she is being a bit cheeky & trying it on.

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

what i was thinking .. i have just written a policy on payment (see below).
    Do you think its ok ?

Payment Policy

Our contract is a legal binding agreement.
    The contracted times must be kept where possible.
    Reviews are arranged every 6 or 12 months or when needed.
    Payments must be paid on the agreed date, in full.
    I have the right to charge a late fee.
    Payment is still required when your child does not attend due to illness, holidays and so on.
    I do not charge for my own holidays.
    To Dare Is To Do

Apr 93
    Post Thanks / Like

Stick to what you want - you will feel better which ever way it goes - I have just had a similar situation. Good luck in whatever you decide

Apr-08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are with the NCMA, then most of the payment policy you wrote is already on the contracts. Make sure the parents read the contracts properly.
    If I am concerned about an issue that has cropped up, but the parents still want to go ahead, I also reiterate it on the contract, there is a space to write any 'extras' on. Any problems in the future and you have it to fall back on.

Like the rest of the girls said I would 'stick to your guns,' otherwise this may become a theme with this particular parent. She needs to know right from the start whose boss! I notice this is your first parent so you want everything to be just so, I know I did and just wanted to earn some money. However time has taught me that if there are any niggles at all, it might be best to back off and use your gut instinct. It may take a little longer but there will be other parents and children.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buildingblocks View Post
    At the end of the day it is your business and you set your rates and what they pay for which is why I don't charge for my holidays but some childminders do - neither is wrong we just run our businesses differently.

Stick to your guns and if she doesn't like it then she will have to look elsewhere. In my mind if she 'wins' on this besides you having to let other parents do the same she will continue to push your rules.

Stick to your guns

I agree with Kate tell her NO and let her look else where you will porbably find she will back down as she is just trying to see if she can tell you what to do , im sure she would have to pay else where too and she;ll find that out xxxx

start as you mean to go on hunnie set your rules and policys and stic to them dont let parents tell you how to run your business xxx
    Love Mrs Edward Cullen x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest you insist on payment in advance as well.

If she has paid in advance, then has time off, you have already been paid. If you let her pay at the end of the week/month it may be difficult to get money out of her if she has had time off & doesn't want to pay for it.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I would suggest you insist on payment in advance as well.

If she has paid in advance, then has time off, you have already been paid. If you let her pay at the end of the week/month it may be difficult to get money out of her if she has had time off & doesn't want to pay for it.

I take a month in advance when signing new contracts xxx
    Love Mrs Edward Cullen x

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Say "Goodbye then hope you have luck finding a minder who will allow you to do this"
    Last edited by wendywu; 03-04-2009 at 05:00 PM.
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

OCT 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't budge on this the next thing will be reducing your daily rate and maybe you then shoud pay her for the pleasure of looking after her child!!!!

Respect yourself and others will be more likely to respect you

Allie

Non childminder member
    Ex Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wendywu View Post
    Say "Goodbye then hope you have luck finding a minder who will allow you to do this"
    Or a nursery. I don't know anyone that doesn't charge for when mindees are sick.
    I would just reiterate that if you are available to work then you should be paid - it's not your fault if her children are poorly. Even if she took a sicky or a days holiday to cover her child being ill SHE still gets paid.

Personally I think she sounds more trouble than she'll be worth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast