question from a parent re Bank Holiday charges
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question question from a parent re Bank Holiday charges

HI - I'm a parent and I've disagreed with my minder over a charge, wanted to get opinions from other minders. (BTW, I have paid the charge even though I disagree cos I value her work and she's a GREAT minder. I don't want to fall out with her over this).

Here's the situation:
    My child attends Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday during term time, and Tuesday, Wednesday in school holidays. (Not Fridays in holidays as Minder doesn't have a space available).

Minder wants to charge me for Easter Friday - but as a concession is "only" charging me my normal Friday rate (ie a before-and-after school fee), whereas she says she could have charged me for a full day.

My point of view: if this wasn't a bank holiday, just an ordinary school holiday, my child would not be attending and I wouldn't be paying her anything for that day.

I understand that she shouldn't lose pay just beacuse it's a BH. In effect by charging me (in addition to her normal Friday holiday mindees), she is earning MORE than she would normally.

I'm genuinely seeking opinions here, as me and the Minder are clearly viewing this entirely differently.

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: question from a parent re Bank Holiday charges

Hi and welcome. Glad you came to ask your question

My opinion would be that if your child would not normally attend that day, as it is a school holiday, then you should not be charged. She can't really charge you for a space she does not have available and you do not use in other holidays.
    Pauline x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi and welcome!

I personally would not have charged for that day... as the space is not available to you should you need it.
    Jen

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hello & welcome

I am the same - if your child is not contracted for Fridays during school holidays then I wouldn't charge as it is during school holidays.IYSWIM.

Jan 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I agree, if it is day that your child would not normally attend then i wouldn't charge - especially as there isnt a space anyway!

Maybe have a word with the minder? Maybe it was an over-sight? I hope you manage to get it sorted.

Nic x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello there.

I charge for Bank Holidays if they fall on a contracted day. I would charge what you would normally pay as your fee on that day. If you wanted me to work that day I would charge double fees.

As you have different contracted days for the holidays and they do not include a Friday because there is no space I would not charge you for Good Friday.
    I would agree with the others it does seem a little unfair.

Pipsqueak Guest

Am in agreement with everyone else.

hope you can discuss with your childminder and sort this out.

Welcome by the way - great to see a parent on asking questions and thank you.

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    MET
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree seems a bit odd, I wouldn't have charged you as your child is not supposed to be there anyway.
    Charlotte
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand

Jan 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

No i would not charge for this either.

Welcome to the forum
    Donna

Non childminder member
    lazy bum!
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a copy of the contract? it maybe worth referring to that when questioning your minder again. i hope you get the issue sorted out.

welcome to the forum too.
    Busy losing the will to live mwuahahahaha!

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would look at the contract too.

It also depends when your school holidays start. If they start the thursday before then it could be classed as the friday is term time. However, I am under the opinion that school holidays are starting this Friday therefore as your child would not normally attend in the holidays then I wouldn't charge the good Friday. Does it say in your contract that you pay Bank holidays? Mine say that I charge bank holidays if it is a day your child normally attends.

good luck in settling the disagreement.
    Paula

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If your child would not have been with her on a Friday in holidays then she should not be charging you as far as i am concerned.
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

April08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good nov 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, I also agree with the others, I have a little boy but do not charge holidays as I do not have him.

sept 94
    Post Thanks / Like

have to agree i would not charge to

hope you can work this out

cathy

Post Thanks / Like

In the contract it says that I should pay for BH if it falls on a day when my child regularly attends, and that BHs are payable whether they fall in a school holiday or in term time.
    Me and minder are interpreting this differently - she says my child DOES regularly attend on Fridays (although this is only in term time) and therefore I should pay for the BH (even though it falls in holidays). I am interpreting it that, I would pay for a BH during term time (as my child regualrly attends on Friday in term time), but not pay for a BH in holidays (as my child does NOT attend on Fridays in holidays).

I paid her anyway - I tried to discuss with her but she just wasn't listening to my point of view

Thank goodness I don't use the Minder on Mondays!!! hew

Jan 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the others, I would only have charged if it was a day that the child would have actually attended. As you've said you value her and so have backed down. On your next contract review I would discuss this for future BH's that fall on days you would not normally attend.

Kelly

Jun 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 6
    Post Thanks / Like

Can I just check when the school holidays are? Up here in Scotland good friday is at the end of the first week holidays, so wouldn't be a contracted day for you as schools are off, just wondering if your schools finish later and that good friday is the start of the holidays in which case it would be one of your contracted days iyswim. If it's not a contracted day you should never have to pay for it.
    Ali xx

Mar 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mum in town View Post
    In the contract it says that I should pay for BH if it falls on a day when my child regularly attends, and that BHs are payable whether they fall in a school holiday or in term time.
    Me and minder are interpreting this differently - she says my child DOES regularly attend on Fridays (although this is only in term time) and therefore I should pay for the BH (even though it falls in holidays). I am interpreting it that, I would pay for a BH during term time (as my child regualrly attends on Friday in term time), but not pay for a BH in holidays (as my child does NOT attend on Fridays in holidays).

I paid her anyway - I tried to discuss with her but she just wasn't listening to my point of view

If the Bank holiday was THIS Friday then yes, you should pay - but the Bank holiday is next week, which is in the MIDDLE of the holidays isn't it?

I think she has got it wrong.

Nice to hear of a parent on the forum and lovely to hear the nice things you have said.xx

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi ya, welcome

I agree with the other comments. I hope you get it sorted out x

Non childminder member
    lazy bum!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mum in town View Post

I think you are very good to pay the fees and glad it hasnt forced you to look for another minder. Just sorry to hear you have had a missunderstanding that didnt really get resolved in your interest.
    Busy losing the will to live mwuahahahaha!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast