Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: question from a parent re Bank Holiday charges

what about a compromise and pay half fee's???

but i wouldn't have paid as it's not during term time
    IS BACK

TheBTeam Guest

Just to say that i would not charge for a bank holiday if it was during the holidays and every other Friday in the holidays i couldn't offer you a space, think that is a bit cheeky.

April08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good nov 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Christmas day is on a fri this year so you may need to have a chat and talk about it and how this will effect that BH. Again it is in the holidays and she shouldnt really charge, but at least this way it will be sorted out way in advance.

Mar 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi and welcome

I would only charge you if it was a contracted day and you normally use the space (no space, no charge).

Jeanette

Lady Haha Guest

Just to put a new spin on this! In your contract does it say that your child only attends for the two days in holidays (not Friday), or is it a three day a week contract, but it has just been agreed verbally that she doesn't have the space on Friday in holidays? If this was the case, I could see where she might think she could charge, because as this particular Firday is a bank holiday, she might well have the space if you need it, and if you don't need it, she thinks she is doing you a favour by only charging the before and after school fees.

Thing is, if the contract is a three day a week one, then the contract itself is wrong and should state that Fridays are term time only.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    Hello there.

I charge for Bank Holidays if they fall on a contracted day. I would charge what you would normally pay as your fee on that day. If you wanted me to work that day I would charge double fees.

As you have different contracted days for the holidays and they do not include a Friday because there is no space I would not charge you for Good Friday.
    I would agree with the others it does seem a little unfair.

this is exactly what I do too x
    Love Mrs Edward Cullen x

Sept 00
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mum in town View Post
    In the contract it says that I should pay for BH if it falls on a day when my child regularly attends, and that BHs are payable whether they fall in a school holiday or in term time.
    Me and minder are interpreting this differently - she says my child DOES regularly attend on Fridays (although this is only in term time) and therefore I should pay for the BH (even though it falls in holidays). I am interpreting it that, I would pay for a BH during term time (as my child regualrly attends on Friday in term time), but not pay for a BH in holidays (as my child does NOT attend on Fridays in holidays).

I paid her anyway - I tried to discuss with her but she just wasn't listening to my point of view

Thank goodness I don't use the Minder on Mondays!!! hew
    i totally agree with you that you shouldn't have to pay for the holiday friday, have you actually queryed it with her and if so ask her if she has a space available to have your child, if not then i definately wouldn't pay the charge

incidentally i do not charge for any bank holidays regardless of when they fall as i don't want to work them.

july 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    very good
    Non childminder member
    ex childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

if they dont go during the holidays its not a contracted day so no i dont think you should be paying. i agree with all the others
    karen

04 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree - I certainly wouldn't charge you under those terms, it sounds like you have a good relationship apart from this - I would say call her bluff and say you'll be sending him then - to give yourself a little me time!
    [I]Sharon
    *****proofed the house but they're still getting in!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say call her bluff and say you'll be sending him then - to give yourself a little me time!
    Mumintown can't send her child as the childminder can't accommodate him (think I've read it right).

If she hasn't got a space for him I'm not sure how she can charge you for it. I would definitely challenge her on this. As it falls within a school holiday and she doesn't have your child on a Friday, she shouldn't be charging you for it.

I charge full fee for bank holidays for my mindees, but, as they are term time only contracts - they pay half fee during the holidays - if a bank holiday falls during school holidays it is only half fee. Otherwise it is full fee ie. May Day bank holiday will be charged at full rate.
    littletreasures xx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    Hello there.

I charge for Bank Holidays if they fall on a contracted day. I would charge what you would normally pay as your fee on that day. If you wanted me to work that day I would charge double fees.

As you have different contracted days for the holidays and they do not include a Friday because there is no space I would not charge you for Good Friday.
    I would agree with the others it does seem a little unfair.
    I am exactly the same. It really does not seem fair to charge for a space which is not in theory available

Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I would not have charged for that day... as the space is not available to you should you need it.

Post Thanks / Like

I do not think you should have to pay any fee for Good Friday as your child does not attend your childminder's on Fridays during school holidays. If your contract is not clear about this then I think you should ask for a contract review.

Hope you can get this sorted out

Miffy xx

june 91
    Post Thanks / Like

Same here.I work term times for 2 children Mon to Thursday but dont work Mondays in school holidays so dont charge for any BH.

Seems a shame to have a misunderstanding in an otherwise good relationship. I would def. ask to get contract out and clarify it/rewrite it. She shouldnt charge you anything for an uncontracted day.

Maybe she now has a place on a friday and feels she can offer it you but just hasnt explained that very well.But good luck anyway and thanks for posting.

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't have charged you either. I interpret the contract as you have done. Seems she doesn't understand her own contract.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your replies, and thanks for the welcome!

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Firstly I agree with everything put already by the others. At the end of the day your child is not booked in for school holidays therefore you shouldn't pay for a BH friday as the child wouldn't be at school therefore wouldn't be at the childminders

Quote Originally Posted by mum in town View Post
    In the contract it says that I should pay for BH if it falls on a day when my child regularly attends, and that BHs are payable whether they fall in a school holiday or in term time.

I find this but in the contract confusing as in your case it is very ambiguous as I read it as surely all BH are usually in school holidays and it reads to me that you have to pay no matter what - although I don't agree that that is right - hope that makes sense. I thought this yesterday and didn't reply until I ahd a chance to reread it to see if I thought the same.

Me and minder are interpreting this differently - she says my child DOES regularly attend on Fridays (although this is only in term time) and therefore I should pay for the BH (even though it falls in holidays). I am interpreting it that, I would pay for a BH during term time (as my child regualrly attends on Friday in term time), but not pay for a BH in holidays (as my child does NOT attend on Fridays in holidays).

I agree with you

I paid her anyway - I tried to discuss with her but she just wasn't listening to my point of view

As you have already paid her I would right this one of to experience and ask for your contract to be reviewed and get it made clearer if she still sticks by the same ruling then you need to decide what you want to do
    Thank goodness I don't use the Minder on Mondays!!! hew
    love Kate
    Save the earth it's the only planet with chocolate

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that the contract terms clearly state you shouldn't have paid.

Paying for BH's whether they fall in school holidays or term-time is fair enough but they still need to fall on a contracted day. Does your contract state the actual days your child attends for the term-time and those for school holidays?

I would direct your minder to some of the replies/advice you have been given on this.

Also, the space is not available. Therefore, I presume she is already charging 3 other parents for every Friday, bank holiday or not. If this is the case, then she can't also charge you for a Friday as she is only allowed 3 children and it follows that she is only allowed to charge for 3 children.

I would never charge a parent for a day they would not normally use my services.

Nx

OCT 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think your childminder is being unfair as she couldn't have had your child if it wasn't a bank holiday

But a small amount of money isn't enough reason to fall out so I hope you can stay with her

Allie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12