Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy i feel like a mug.

I am new on here,and love all the info im getting off you all,its fantastic.i put in my contracts that pay day was friday every week,and that the fee covered the week after,so that if they didnt turn up i would still be paid,but now some of my regulars think its okay to forget on the friday and they just pay whatever day the week after,i am relly skint at the moment and my fees arent really covering costs and with late payments my financial status is nil at the moment,i have printed out a new policy that states the way i take fees and what days,but i dont think they wil care as it was explained to them when they started and put in their contracts.it upsets me also because over half of my parents are earning more than i ever will in a lifetime and they are the worst.SORRY to droan on but i havent spoken to anyone bout it before

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: i feel like a mug.

We've all been there!

Personally I take a month's deposit in advance & charge monthly in advance, that way i have more control over money...works much better!

PS...Sorry forgot to mention about late fees but i do as below!
    Last edited by Blaze; 12-01-2009 at 11:27 AM.
    Blaze x

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Katie

Most of us have been in the same situation so know just how you are feeling I still have it happen to me sometimes

I charge late fees though of £5 a day

I never had to use it till last year a parent had to pay me £50 in late fees plus her normal childcare fees

Shes never been late or messed me around since so I think it works

Thats what I would do if I were you introuduce late fees

Good luck keep us posted

Angel xx

Post Thanks / Like

Worst part of the business dealing with the money side but you will get tougher!

Do you have a late payment fee stated in your contracts? I think you need to inform parents of the date their fees must be paid (and like Blaze I'd charge a month in advance) and that you will add a late payment fee of xxx if the payment is late.

Good luck

Miffy xx

Post Thanks / Like

I always charge in advance

When I was less experienced though and did not realise back then that parents might not pay me I was always happy to get paid on a Friday

The problem you might have here is that a parent is not going to want to start changing her pay day now
    If she is late paying you now I just cant see her paying you a month in advance

Its good advice though for new parents

We live and learn dont we

Good luck whatever you decide to do but stay strong and stick to your guns

Angel xx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angeldelight View Post

The problem you might have here is that a parent is not going to want to start changing her pay day now
    If she is late paying you now I just cant see her paying you a month in advance

Angel xx
    I take your point Angel but it's not up to the parent to decide when they want to pay is it.

Miffy xx

Aug 06
    Post Thanks / Like

It's the hardest part of the job, I get paid in advance, have a late fee and luckily very good parents at the mo
    ***** proofed the house but they're still getting in!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    I take your point Angel but it's not up to the parent to decide when they want to pay is it.

Miffy xx

I take your point also but they like to think so dont they haha

Angel xx

Pipsqueak Guest

Time to get tough with the parents hun.
    Do a newsletter explaining that the new policy for payments is attached and that you will be implementing late fees from xxx date. Do it up in flowery language. Gently explain that you cannot do this at nursery (they would refuse to have the child) or go and get your shopping at Tesco and "forget" to pay. You have bills and shopping to pay for and this is your business.

Hand parents an invoice on the Thursday with a smile and a flourish.

If parents are late with the fees - tell them at collection time/ get a letter (or a phone call) to them that evening and drop it round stating that they are late with fees and you expect payment to be bought round to you by Saturday morning by xxx time at the latest.

Good luck - we have all been there

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you speak to the parents on the doorstep or do you talk to them outside of hours?

If it is at the end of the day, sometimes it can be rushed.

I have only 1 parent who pays me weekly and I always say on Wednesday something like "got to buy... could you make sure I am paid Friday". If I am not paid on Friday I ask them to bring it that night and if they forget I go and get it. They get used to it eventually.

It is a learning curve
    Debbie

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    Time to get tough with the parents hun.
    Do a newsletter explaining that the new policy for payments is attached and that you will be implementing late fees from xxx date. Do it up in flowery language. Gently explain that you cannot do this at nursery (they would refuse to have the child) or go and get your shopping at Tesco and "forget" to pay. You have bills and shopping to pay for and this is your business.

Hand parents an invoice on the Thursday with a smile and a flourish.

If parents are late with the fees - tell them at collection time/ get a letter (or a phone call) to them that evening and drop it round stating that they are late with fees and you expect payment to be bought round to you by Saturday morning by xxx time at the latest.

Good luck - we have all been there
    I agree we all need firm reminders sometimes and money is our biggest bugbear.
    we have to be tough. i charge in advance pref monthly because i find a lot of parents are paid monthly andthey pay 1st mon of month, weekly pay 1st day of week i see them.
    i always take a 2 week deposit which i hold till the end of the contract.

Feb o7
    Post Thanks / Like

Gosh I soooo know how you feel.It's really awful and I know exactly how you feel.Am relatively new myself and it has been a huge learning curve I think the main prob is that most people still don't take childminders seriously and think we do it for a bit of a hobby. I've had a parent tell me she has lost her bank cards and purse!!!! and a recent one saying 'I've never paid a childminder in advance before,I don't understand why you would need paying in advance'!!!!!!I wanted to say how do you think I feed the children then? but once again smiled sweetly. I could go on and on about fee stories I've decided this year to remind parents that nurseries,after school clubs,breakfast clubs,beavers, cubs,karate,swimming lessons,xtra tuition and anything else our children do all expect fees upfront! So why do they think that I should be different???? On the plus side ,Pleeese hang in there,it does get easier and you will learn to be more forthright as you get more experienced.Pleeese don't think I'm patronising I'm really not. When I had my first inspection,I got satisfactory and was really upset as I'd put in so much work.Inspector said most new minders get satisfactory as they haven't got enough experience.I really gritted my teeth and thought that's really unfair.As the months go on I kind of know what she meant.Hang in there me darlin' I promise it gets better!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    We've all been there!

Personally I take a month's deposit in advance & charge monthly in advance, that way i have more control over money...works much better!

PS...Sorry forgot to mention about late fees but i do as below!
    I do the same month's fee's in advance on first day of care commencing and then paid monthly on last friday of the month, for each day payment is late i charge £5 a day extra, it is your business, dont let parents rule you you tell them how things work and if they dont like it tell them to find someone else, i have toughened up so much this last 12 months or so and may seem like a complete B in some of my posts but im not been dictated to by parents anymore its my business and I do it to suit me and my family if they dont like it they can hand in their notice HTH

good luck it can be daugnting to be firm but start as you mean to go on xxx
    Love Mrs Edward Cullen x

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been there too. In the end I insisted that parent set up standing order to my bank account for the payment day. Most of time still had to wait until their payday before it left their acccount and it took a day or two to hit mine but at least I knew it was coming!

Insist on a weekly standing order (in advance) saying you know how busy they are etc.etc and it's hard to remember, this will make it easier and you won't have to keep asking as it's horrible to have to ask for money.

If they don't like the weekly standing order, they will have to make it monthly. Definiately try the late fee - though I was never brave enough! From the advice you've received it seems it works.

I went through this one year with 2 sets of parents. At the moment I have 6 sets of parents and although standing orders rarely hit my account on 1st I am guaranteed the money on 3rd or 4th latest each month and all are extremely apologetic if it's late. Not all parents see you as 'just earning pin money' I promise.

Good luck
    Nx