Wraparound fee when not emergency contact?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    117
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Wraparound fee when not emergency contact?

    Hi,
    Just wondering how any of you would charge for school nursery wraparound if child arrives 7.45, dropped by me at nursery for 9 till 12, then with me until mum collects at 5.45? It seems the 'norm' would be to charge in full ( I charge by the hour, and don't offer funded hours) for the 3 hours the child is in nursery as I'd be dropping and picking up, but as I don't want to be 'on call' for those hours as the child's emergency contact, I'm not sure how best to approach this.
    Parent wants holiday care too, so I'm debating whether to charge half fee for the 3 nursery hours in term time ,then full fee at normal hourly rate in the hols; the half fee that is paid during term time thereby securing her place in holidays/half terms.
    My inclination is simply to charge my normal fee only when the child is present, but given the (earlier than my usual) start time and the disruption to other children ( 3 school runs a day when collecting older after schoolies) makes me wonder if I should have a re think, and perhaps charge a higher hourly fee on the wraparound days?
    I'd be really interested to hear if anyone's had the same dilemma before I drive myself mad thinking about all the variables....thank you!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    suffolk
    Posts
    1,369
    Registered Childminder since
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I charge a higher rate if a child is here for less than 3 hours. I do,do a before and after school rate which is higher ( less than 3 hours) than my daily hourly rate. If it was me I would charge my before school rate £5 per hour and whilst at nursery if you don’t want to be on call half your normal rate . I usually charge when at nursery if they are taking a eyfs space that I couldn’t fill whist they are there though I would be on call for them.

    Everyone is different so I guess you will get more replies shortly.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    37,489
    Registered Childminder since
    1994
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default

    Hmm if you don't want to be 'on call' then I'm not sure you can charge a fee because that's the way it is worded in the funding operational guidance.

    Are your LA supportive? I wonder if they have any advice

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    at my computer, of course
    Posts
    4,987
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don’t like to charge when a child is at another setting. I’m not providing any sort of service, and I wouldn’t want to pay anybody else for not providing a service if the boot were on the other foot. Besides, I don’t charge for schoolies during school hours, so why charge for preschool children?

    OTOH, neither do I appreciate being used as a taxi service nor a convenience for the hours when some nursery just cannot be bothered to provide care. I only do this sort of wraparound where I see a strong case for the child benefiting from the combination of CM and group setting.

    I would charge the 0745-0900 slot as for a school run (see below) which is what it is, to all intents and purposes. I’d then charge by the hour for the afternoon slots and holiday care.

    After several mistakes, I came around to the idea of a fixed rate for school runs, mainly because I got sick of parents haggling over times/meals/charges, etc for schoolies. For a morning school run slot, I offer up to two hours care; breakfast (if they arrive by 0800); and delivery to the local pen. For that, I charge for two hours at just under 125% of my regular rate.

    Have you been very clear about not being the emergency contact? What will you do if nursery or the parent do call you in an emergency? I ask because this keeps happening to me. School in particular will phone me with a mixture of desperate pleading and emotional blackmail, "Dear Darling Buttercup is soooo forlorn and Mumsie can’t get here for two hours.....” or similar.

    What would you do if you had a full time enquiry, whilst this child effectively 'blocks' the place? Would you stay loyal or give notice? It’s worth thinking through, even at this stage. We often 'do the right thing' by staying loyal, but end up being resentful of what it’s costing us. OTOH if you’re still considering full time use of the space, it might be best to make mum aware of that.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    117
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I charge a higher rate if a child is here for less than 3 hours. I do,do a before and after school rate which is higher ( less than 3 hours) than my daily hourly rate. If it was me I would charge my before school rate £5 per hour and whilst at nursery if you don’t want to be on call half your normal rate . I usually charge when at nursery if they are taking a eyfs space that I couldn’t fill whist they are there though I would be on call for them.

    Everyone is different so I guess you will get more replies shortly.
    A slightly higher rate does make more sense to me, and reading all the related posts here it seems that generally, wraparound care is charged at a higher rate anyway. I want to keep things as straightforward as possible, and haven't yet felt the need to change my usual hourly way of charging, but maybe it's time for a re think? Thanks Dragonfly for your reply.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    117
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Hmm if you don't want to be 'on call' then I'm not sure you can charge a fee because that's the way it is worded in the funding operational guidance.

    Are your LA supportive? I wonder if they have any advice

    Ah, I see...I think you must be right, otherwise I suppose the 'free' nursery hours wouldn't then be free if I'm charging something for them? Thanks Sarah.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    117
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    I don’t like to charge when a child is at another setting. I’m not providing any sort of service, and I wouldn’t want to pay anybody else for not providing a service if the boot were on the other foot. Besides, I don’t charge for schoolies during school hours, so why charge for preschool children?

    OTOH, neither do I appreciate being used as a taxi service nor a convenience for the hours when some nursery just cannot be bothered to provide care. I only do this sort of wraparound where I see a strong case for the child benefiting from the combination of CM and group setting.

    I would charge the 0745-0900 slot as for a school run (see below) which is what it is, to all intents and purposes. I’d then charge by the hour for the afternoon slots and holiday care.

    After several mistakes, I came around to the idea of a fixed rate for school runs, mainly because I got sick of parents haggling over times/meals/charges, etc for schoolies. For a morning school run slot, I offer up to two hours care; breakfast (if they arrive by 0800); and delivery to the local pen. For that, I charge for two hours at just under 125% of my regular rate.

    Have you been very clear about not being the emergency contact? What will you do if nursery or the parent do call you in an emergency? I ask because this keeps happening to me. School in particular will phone me with a mixture of desperate pleading and emotional blackmail, "Dear Darling Buttercup is soooo forlorn and Mumsie can’t get here for two hours.....” or similar.

    What would you do if you had a full time enquiry, whilst this child effectively 'blocks' the place? Would you stay loyal or give notice? It’s worth thinking through, even at this stage. We often 'do the right thing' by staying loyal, but end up being resentful of what it’s costing us. OTOH if you’re still considering full time use of the space, it might be best to make mum aware of that.
    Thank you, Bunyip...Not had this particular dilemma before, but if I stick to my normal hourly rate for wraparound just to keep things simple, I know I'll feel a bit peeved (not to mention short changed) when I know that it's usual for CM's to charge (and parents seem to expect to pay) a higher or at least different rate for wraparound. I'd be comfortable with the idea of charging a slightly higher hourly charge for the first school run slot, and normal hourly rate for any subsequent term time or hols hours actually worked, as I feel the disruption and effort involved for that first hour justifies the increased rate . I've never really been keen on the idea of charging when at Nursery either (don't think I can anyway, if not 'on call'),and yes, have explained that unless the school is forced to close in an emergency, I'm not available as a contact; I wouldn't always be able to scoot off to school at the drop of a hat as I may have other children at the time,or be out somewhere, and don't think it's fair on other children to be accepting a sick child(if that's the reason). Having said that with my 'you're running a business' voice, I'd probably cave in if I thought the poor child was stranded at school for the hours it might take for someone to get there; maybe I should call myself the last resort??
    Thank you so much for your advice and suggestions...definitely some food for thought..it's not an easy gig, is it?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4,099
    Registered Childminder since
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I do charge and am ‘on call’ but still wouldn’t collect a sick child....if they’re too sick for school they’re too sick to be with me.

  9. Likes Maza, Dragonfly liked this post
 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Quick Links and Advertisements

Important Information Links
Some Useful Quick Links
Advertisements

 

You can also find us on:
Wraparound fee when not emergency contact? Wraparound fee when not emergency contact? Wraparound fee when not emergency contact?

We use cookies to make this site as useful as possible. They are small text files placed in your browser to track usage of our site but they don’t tell us who you are.
By continuing to use this site you are consenting to cookies being placed on your computer. Find out more here: Cookies in Use

Childminding Help and the Childminding Forum are part of Childcare.co.uk