Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Parent has paid me more in vouchers and expects me give her the rest

Sent out my final invoice to a parent
    Was around £100
    She said to me she had £300 sitting in her voucher account and could she transfer me the whole £300 and I could then transfer the other £200 into her account
    I explained I couldn't as she had not been taxed on this and I remember from my induction being told years ago that I wasn't able to do this and I think illegal ( not sure)
    I also explained that as I'm stopping childminding I plan to put my self assessment in as soon as the new financial year starts and I don't want to confuse myself or my accountant etc
    Well just had a email from voucher company stating she's done what I asked her not to
    Never had to deal with this before
    What do I do
    If money goes into my account am I able to return this to the voucher company as obviously parent hasn't been taxed on this

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You would need to contact the voucher company if you are overpaid to ask their procedure, email would be best as in writing. Some accept the payment back and then the parent arranges with them to have the money returned to the employer and then tax and NI is taken off before being given to the parent - BUT, as this costs the voucher company time and money (and also the employer), some are saying to give it to the parent and it is the parent's responsibility to do a tax return to declare the return payment. If the voucher company advises you to pass onto the parent, get the parent to sign a receipt to acknowledge the return and that they understand that it is their responsibility to declare the money to HMRC to ensure that tax and NI has been legally paid on the amount x

Sept 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I just found this, see question 16

Childcare Vouchers - FAQs for Childcare Providers

and 29 on here:

Childcare Vouchers - Working parents Frequenty Asked Questions (FAQs)

It may depend on the specific provider, but I expect the rules are the same. Tell the parent you can carry the credit forward for care, but cannot pay her the cash.

Contact the voucher provider and tell them what has happened, make sure you follow the advice they give. If the voucher company tell you to pass the money on to the parent ask them to send the advice out to you in writing.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

No advice sorry, but just wanted to say what a hassle. I would be really cross - I hate it when people create extra work for me - especially the kind that involves contacting companies etc.

Thank you for highlighting the issue - something for us all to be aware of. Hope you get it sorted quickly.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    I just found this, see question 16

Childcare Vouchers - FAQs for Childcare Providers

and 29 on here:

Childcare Vouchers - Working parents Frequenty Asked Questions (FAQs)

It may depend on the specific provider, but I expect the rules are the same. Tell the parent you can carry the credit forward for care, but cannot pay her the cash.

Contact the voucher provider and tell them what has happened, make sure you follow the advice they give. If the voucher company tell you to pass the money on to the parent ask them to send the advice out to you in writing.
    I've always been told, and told my parents that I have to return voucher payments to the voucher company.

Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am furious tbh as she did ask and I said no
    Will phone up voucher company on Monday and see what their procedure is
    Can't believe I've had this hassle on my last month

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You're absolutely entitled to feel that way.

Remember the following:
    1. You warned her.
    2. She ignored you.
    3. Since you're giving up CMing, she can bad mouth you all she likes..... to absolutely zero effect.
    4. The tax year ends soon, but.....
    5. .....you have the better part of ten months to submit your final tax return.

To me, that all adds up to one thing: not your problem and no need to hurry.

Sure, you'll refund her money..... eventually.

IIWY, I should follow the excellent advice given already. Do it thoroughly. Do it meticulously. And, above all, do it very, very, VERY S-L-O-W-L-Y.

There is absolutely no need to rush retribution, especially when it's entirely justified.

8. Likes Maza liked this post