Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default After school clubs

Do any of you collect children from after school clubs?

I used to but it became difficult as I was giving children their evening meal so unless my partner was there, I couldn't do it.

I haven't even had a request, just a parent TELLING me I'm collecting her children at a later time as they're going to the after school club in the new year. I've told her I can't do it as my partner is working and I've got to be at home for other children due to pick up times, meals etc. She wasn't happy, telling me her children really want to do the club and she's paid the school. I said it would have been polite to check with me first. She has finally admitted that she should have. Not sure what's happening yet but another family member may be collecting them for a few weeks. Mum won't be happy as I will still be charging my set rate for after school fees. I can't think of another solution for her and refuse to be out of pocket for half a term.

Am I being unfair? I don't think I am but then I'm fed up of parents making presumptions and thinking I should be at their beck and call. Sick of childminding right now! The contracts are for collection at 3.30pm so I'm not contractually obliged. I've had the children for some time now and don't want to fall out but get fed up with being put on. Parents think I'm being awkward.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You have done nothing wrong. Stick to your contract.

3. Likes Merlot liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It is rude of them to assume you will do I - you are not a nanny employed by them. You could suggest that another parent collecting from the after school club could drop the child at yours, but then if the other child was not going to the club one day due to sickness then that would be a problem.

In future, I would make a point of telling the parents at the interview stage that you do not pick up from after school clubs and so THEY will have to arrange for the child to be dropped off at yours after the club, but that full fees still apply. x

5. Likes Merlot liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't do school collections at all now, but when I did I made it clear that I didn't do a collection from after school clubs.

I would simply say to your parent that you won't be doing it. If they need to change their contract you will need 4 weeks notice, otherwise full fees are due as normal.

7. Likes Merlot liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    You have done nothing wrong. Stick to your contract.
    I do a club pick up one night a week and ALL schoolies stay to a club! Then it's a quick rush home and tea! However, next school year I won't have any big schoolies and I'm thinking of stopping the 'club' night! ( I only did it as DD went! )

Other than that, if anyone wants to do a club, all schoolies are told when they start that they need to arrange a lift to my house after club and that normal afterschool fee applies as sometimes clubs are cancelled and then I pick up as usual. Even when my DD did a club, I arranged for someone to drop her home!

9. Likes Merlot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I learnt the hard way..one set of parents asked me to pick up from after school clubs because their child would hate to miss out on them so i was doing a regular pick up only to turn out a short while after to get their child again. Child was never grateful and nor were parents, they saw it as their right. It went right over nap times, dinner times, unsettled everyone, meant we couldnt do anything but wait until it was time to get them. Even when i tried to politely get out of it they still made me feel bad if i wouldnt. I would never say yes to this kind of thing again - its not fair on your or the other children. Sorry...rant over!!

11. Likes Maza, FloraDora, Merlot liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't do school pick ups at all now. I did once to a friend's grandchild and it disrupted the day I felt on the two days I did it. We couldn't go with the flow of the day, we had to be very ' timetabled' - I didn't like that, that's the bonus I feel I Have now , I've had my fill of time tabling and feel it's stops the flow of play in early years...but the LO's loved him arriving and looked forward to it.
    Perhaps if you have an assistant then after school clubs might work.

13. Likes Merlot liked this post
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. Had this family for a few years and they've never been to any clubs whilst in my care but most people would ask me first. I do tell people that I don't do the clubs but it surprises me (don't know why!!) when people go to work and presume someone else is going to run around after their kids!