What to charge?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: What to charge?

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't work on a Friday but a friend has asked if I will have her 2 girls (10&11) for an hour after school once netball club finishes, they will walk back to mine & I'll give tea & drop to them off to the same evening club my eldest dc does.

Mum will collect all of them on her way home from work & drop my school home. So ignoring the lift to the club as it's a mutually agreeable arrangement, we're talking tops 1 hour plus tea for 2 children but with the odd occasion having them longer if 1 or both clubs are cancelled. Fwiw, my usual rate is £6ph + £2 tea but £16 seems an awful lot for such a short amount of time.
    Last edited by MrsP2C; 06-09-2016 at 09:01 AM.

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's always tricky when friendships are involved. Does she know you will charge or is she thinking if she does the collections and brings your child home your are evens? When she asked did you say how much you charge? When I've been in this situation before I said something along the lines of 'are you sure you want me to have them because it would be approx. £16?' Mention the cost to her and see what she says. It all boils down to how much per hour you are willing to give up your free day for.

Sept 12
    Post Thanks / Like

She has asked me to charge & keep it as a business arrangement so she's expecting something, but I guess I'm hesitate to charge full rate because it doesn't actually inconvenience me in any way (bar making tea for 2 extra children) & means I have a definite lift home for dc1 each Friday night.
    I was thinking £2 per child tea then flat fee £10 for childcare so £14? I don't want to start offering discounted hourly rates as they wouldn't apply in the holidays.
    I would also suggest we run it until half term then review as I don't want a long term commitment in case it ends up more hassle than it's worth.

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrsP2C View Post
    She has asked me to charge & keep it as a business arrangement so she's expecting something, but I guess I'm hesitate to charge full rate because it doesn't actually inconvenience me in any way (bar making tea for 2 extra children) & means I have a definite lift home for dc1 each Friday night.
    I was thinking £2 per child tea then flat fee £10 for childcare so £14? I don't want to start offering discounted hourly rates as they wouldn't apply in the holidays.
    I would also suggest we run it until half term then review as I don't want a long term commitment in case it ends up more hassle than it's worth.
    Sounds reasonable. Have you thought about charging for longer hours?

Reviewing at half term is a very good idea. Good luck.

Sept 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BallyH View Post
    Sounds reasonable. Have you thought about charging for longer hours? Reviewing at half term is a very good idea. Good luck.
    I think I'll tell her my usual rate for anything over & above the £10 fixed period & can add to following month's invoice.
    Thank you