Parent 4 week notice for Holiday only contract  HELP!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    jan 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Parent 4 week notice for Holiday only contract HELP!!

Hi! I have a parent that has always been missing payments and messing me around with payments..Now she has not paid me in the last 3 weeks saying that her tax credits stopped and that is why she hasn't paid. But this is the second time she has done this, so I know she's just keeping the money. Our contract stated she needed to pay me £285 x week so it would cover all the holidays for the year if not it'd be too much for her to pay each week in the summer holidays. But now when I asked for payment again yesterday because she's 3 weeks late she told me in a TEXT that she got sacked and wouldn't need me!! That's it, nothing else...
    My question is, am I still entitled to any notice period payment, because in my contract it stated I needed 4 weeks written notice and the 4 week notice would be crouching on 1 week of summer. Plus the fact she's been keeping tax credits money these past 3 weeks without paying me. Where do I stand with her?? So need help!! Thanks, Laura

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The best time to stop working for someone who doesn't pay is the first day payment is not made - as soon as you let them rack up a debt you are on the back foot :/

Send an invoice stating exactly what is owed and giving a timescale for payment (usually 7 days - check your contracts).

Ring your insurance and check their advice.

If money doesn't arrive start legal proceedings either through your insurance or using the small claims court.

Come back if we can help.

Hugs x

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lknight1976 View Post
    Hi! I have a parent that has always been missing payments and messing me around with payments..Now she has not paid me in the last 3 weeks saying that her tax credits stopped and that is why she hasn't paid. But this is the second time she has done this, so I know she's just keeping the money. Our contract stated she needed to pay me £285 x week so it would cover all the holidays for the year if not it'd be too much for her to pay each week in the summer holidays. But now when I asked for payment again yesterday because she's 3 weeks late she told me in a TEXT that she got sacked and wouldn't need me!! That's it, nothing else... My question is, am I still entitled to any notice period payment, because in my contract it stated I needed 4 weeks written notice and the 4 week notice would be crouching on 1 week of summer. Plus the fact she's been keeping tax credits money these past 3 weeks without paying me. Where do I stand with her?? So need help!! Thanks, Laura

Yes you are still entitled to paid notice, however, if mum has been rather lax with payments when she's needed care, I fear getting fees now when she no longer needs care will only happen with 'professional' threats and possibly legal action.
    I'd be tempted to text back "oh no, that's awful! I'll recalculate your fees and let you know if I owe you anything"
    This will lull her into a false sense of security to accept a signed for letter along the following lines:

Dear parent,
    So sorry to hear about your change in circumstances, and accept your contractual notice from xx date (yesterday)
    As advised, I have recalculated your fees and enclose the following breakdown

Fees owed for care already provided upto (yesterday's date) £xxx.xx
    4 weeks paid contractual notice upto (last day of care) £xxx.xx
    Less any deposit/advance payment made £xxx.xx
    Total to be paid by (date you want to be paid by) £xxx.xx

Should payment not be forthcoming I will instruct my solicitors to pursue all outstanding fees through the courts, which could have a negative impact on your credit status.
    I would also like to point out that it is your legal responsibility to advise tax credits of any changes in your circumstances, and I shall also be confirming the last day of care with HMRC on Monday.

Now, it is highly unlikely you are going to get any money at this point, so you can do one of two things. Leave the figures above as they stand, or, offer her a sort of get out clause so you at least recoup what you've worked for already. That decision is yours to make.
    If you decide to opt for just trying to get what is owed to date, then you can always add the following line...

Due to the sudden change in your circumstances, I am willing to accept immediate notice from (yesterday's date or today if you had child) provided outstanding fees of £xxx.xx are paid in full by Monday 4th July

Personally, I would contact your insurer asap, get their advice, if necessary, read back the letter above (or your own) to them to check its ok (from a legal standpoint) as they will probably advise that you need to give parent 'time to pay' before they will take on the case. Then get it sent recorded delivery tomorrow for delivery on Friday.
    If she's likely to pay she'll take the offer and you'll have your money and a new vacancy by Monday, or you'll have to wait till the end of next month before you can start the ball rolling.
    The fact that you are informing her you will be contacting tax credits may be enough for her to pay what she already owes, but, I wouldn't hold your breath.
    It is renewal time, so she would be rather foolish to try peeing you off.
    If you haven't heard from her by Monday, call the providers helpline number on Tuesday, and you can inform them that she owes you.
    Good luck

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lknight1976 View Post
    Hi! I have a parent that has always been missing payments and messing me around with payments..Now she has not paid me in the last 3 weeks saying that her tax credits stopped and that is why she hasn't paid. But this is the second time she has done this, so I know she's just keeping the money. Our contract stated she needed to pay me £285 x week so it would cover all the holidays for the year if not it'd be too much for her to pay each week in the summer holidays. But now when I asked for payment again yesterday because she's 3 weeks late she told me in a TEXT that she got sacked and wouldn't need me!! That's it, nothing else...
    My question is, am I still entitled to any notice period payment, because in my contract it stated I needed 4 weeks written notice and the 4 week notice would be crouching on 1 week of summer. Plus the fact she's been keeping tax credits money these past 3 weeks without paying me. Where do I stand with her?? So need help!! Thanks, Laura
    So this parent has paid you approx £7400 since the beginning of Jan (approx 26 weeks x £285pw full year of payments would be £14,820 for all the 13 weeks holidays, £1140 per holiday week) on account to use for childcare in the school holidays?

If they have already used you for 1 week in Feb, 2 weeks at Easter, one week in May then they have used 4 weeks of childcare already. How much would 4 weeks childcare actually cost?

If they have to give you 4 paid working weeks (of the summer holidays) how much will that care actually cost?

You add the actual costs together and take them away from the money they have paid you.

If they are paying £285pw every week to cover 13 weeks school holidays that means you are charging them £1140pw for the holidays

Therefore they have had 4 weeks this year, add 4 weeks notice they owe £9120 and have only paid £7400 so they owe you £1720 that is a lot of money but is only just over a weeks care so I would cut my losses and accept what they have paid and their notice.

Advertise and fill the space. How many children is that for? The amount works out at 175.5 hours at my hourly rate so 3.5 children for a 50 hours a week?

jan 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Started in May!! Not Jan..

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    So this parent has paid you approx £7400 since the beginning of Jan (approx 26 weeks x £285pw full year of payments would be £14,820 for all the 13 weeks holidays, £1140 per holiday week) on account to use for childcare in the school holidays?

If they have already used you for 1 week in Feb, 2 weeks at Easter, one week in May then they have used 4 weeks of childcare already. How much would 4 weeks childcare actually cost?

If they have to give you 4 paid working weeks (of the summer holidays) how much will that care actually cost?

You add the actual costs together and take them away from the money they have paid you.

If they are paying £285pw every week to cover 13 weeks school holidays that means you are charging them £1140pw for the holidays

Therefore they have had 4 weeks this year, add 4 weeks notice they owe £9120 and have only paid £7400 so they owe you £1720 that is a lot of money but is only just over a weeks care so I would cut my losses and accept what they have paid and their notice.

Advertise and fill the space. How many children is that for? The amount works out at 175.5 hours at my hourly rate so 3.5 children for a 50 hours a week?
    Hi:
    I didn't really explain it properly, she only started in May and it was for holiday term only plus every weekend. And I had to pick them up at 7:30a.m before my other kids arrived and on the weekends cuz she lived so far and wouldn't be able to take the bus and get here on time. And no other childminder works Sat and sun in my area..So I was doing her a HUGE favour.. She would pay me every Thursday and that would cover weekends plus future payments for the holidays, which were coming fast and for 2 girls for 9hrs x day plus weekends I was working my butt off. She missed 3 payments and then decided to tell me she got sacked and didn't need my services for the summer. No written notice, just a text! So my question was, can I get my lost payments and/or my 4 weeks notice? I just know that if I go through the hassle of taking her to court that I wont see any of that money anyways.