How to calculate fees for 2 children for 4 night/5 Days please..
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    jan 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How to calculate fees for 2 children for 4 night/5 Days please..

Hi Forum Friends!

Need help calculating price for 2 children that I normally childmind, but for 4 nights and 5 days. Friday morning til Tuesday morning.. Any way I calculate this sounds like so much money!

I do this for a parent that has 3 kids for same amount of time and didn't have a problem pricing it, but she is a neurosurgeon and knew that her company paid for it, so didn't feel so bad ...but this is for a single parent who just needs a few days off.
    I've had her kids for past 3 years and is great at paying on time and in advance with never a problem in sight.

Can I see what other childminders would charge in this scenario? Even if I charge £3 x hr x child it still is £720..Sounds like a lot!

I charge £40 x night and £4.50 xhr normal hrs. But Saturdays I charge £6x hr and Sundays I charge £8 x hr.. If I charge my rates it would just be waaay tooo much! Since this is only a one off for this parent and I really want to help, what would you all recommend?

Thanks again!!
    Laura

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You seem to be talking yourself out of charging your normal rates ... so why not sit down with the parent and have an open and honest chat about what she can afford to pay ... tell her your maximum and work out your minimum ... then negotiate from there

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If she is used to paying your fees, she must have some idea of how much you charge, so don't sell yourself short. Does she definitely want you to do it or is she making enquiries now to see how much it would cost?

I would work it out at your normal rates then ask her how much she thinks it might cost. If she is way off the mark she might need a bit of a wake up call and be shown that it's not cheap. On the other hand she might have a realistic idea of how much it would be and the actual amount won't be that much of a shock to her.

If you're happy to do it for less than your normal rate I would charge a set amount that you're happy with. Take into account the extra food you will need to supply and extra resources. I would charge my normal rate for the hours they're awake and active, but maybe switch to a lower rate once they're asleep. That's assuming they're good sleepers and they're not going to have you up all night!

Maybe give her a few options, ie. One night would cost £x, 2 nights would be £y. That way she could look at what she could afford and plan her break around that.

Sept 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If you do do it for less than your normal rate make sure she knows its at a discounted rate. I would draw up a invoice showing the full amount and then, for example, offer Sunday at the same rate as Saturday. If you know it is a one off then price where feel comfortable without selling yourself short.

jan 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks you for all you replies.

I will do an invoice and show what I normally charge with the discounted rate. Great Idea!! That way she knows this is a one off and not take advantage in the future.
    Thanks again for all your help

Laura

June 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Overnights care for 2 children

Am trying to work out a price for 2 children overnights 2 days a week but days will vary

Drop to me at 6.30 and drop to school 8.30

The school is a distance away so would charge £10-15 to do that

I notice others charge £40 for a night but not sure what times that's from and to

Can anyone offer advice please? Am in Surrey area and normal after school charge is £5 minimum per hour minimum 2 hours

Post Thanks / Like

When I worked out my overnight charge I first worked it out at my normal hourly rate. Then I did some research looking at children's activity holidays, summer camps etc that provide overnight care and what they charge, rough break down. I asked other minders what they charged. I ask parents/carers what they were expecting to pay ( I always ask this of new parents). I took into account exactly what the family wanted and then negotiated a figure we were all ok with. Remember just because it's night time doesn't mean you will have sleeping darlings for 8-12 hours even if parents say so. You are still as qualified experienced and trained as in the day so don't sell yourself short.

jan 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JillyBee View Post
    Am trying to work out a price for 2 children overnights 2 days a week but days will vary

Drop to me at 6.30 and drop to school 8.30

The school is a distance away so would charge £10-15 to do that

I notice others charge £40 for a night but not sure what times that's from and to

Can anyone offer advice please? Am in Surrey area and normal after school charge is £5 minimum per hour minimum 2 hours
    Hi: This is how I would price it..(just so you can compare

6:30pm-6:30 am £40 x child =£80
    6:30am till school drop off with breakfast £10 each. = £20
    £100 Total x night
    For 2 nights x week £200 x week.
    You can give them a discount if its going to be a regular thing or not. Its a competitive going rate. And just depends how much you want the work..
    Good Luck, Laura