College funded minding
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default College funded minding

I have had someone contact me today potentially with my first minded child. It would be to commence after Easter break until summer. She is at college so they would pay me but it would be 4 weeks in arrears. Also do I charge for time he is in nursery in the afternoon or not? It's 3 hours. I am also on holidays for a week of it so hoping she has someone else to watch little one for that week but wasn't sure what the charge for with college paying for it?

Thanks hope someone can help

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It is a bit dodgy ground with college-paid fees, so make sure you are 100% certain what will happen if...

...she does not turn up to the course so they terminate her place on the course and then do not make the childcare payment for care already provided?
    ...the college are late in paying you, can you charge them late fees?
    ...she is reguarly late picking up child- who do you charge late fees to? will she pay them?
    ...she asks for extra hours, will she pay in advance of care for those hours?
    ...child is ill so she does not attend course but you still want paying for the place as you are still open?
    ...can she pay a deposit herself (or family member/parents if she is young) that you can keep as security against these things?

I hope someone who has done this before can give you advise.

If I am taking a child to nursery and picking them up I do charge for the hours they are there. I inform parents of this when we sign contracts so all clear and agreed.

Sept 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I did college funded childcare but is was quite a while ago so I don't remember all of the details... What I do remember is getting a copy of the college finance agreement prior to taking on the child so I could check the details, I would suggest you do the same. I had to invoice the college for the hours the child attended each month so I'm not sure whether you could charge for the time the child were at nursery. Payments were never late , but it was made clear that they wouldn't be paid if my invoices were not received on time. I only did college funded care for a short while because the parent's circumstances changed and she left the course - the college wrote confirming payments would be stopping . Hope that helps x

Post Thanks / Like

Parents have sourced their funding in lots of different ways over the years but I unfortunately have learnt the hard way. I now make sure that they understand that regardless of where "they" are sourcing my fees from that "they" are legally responsible for any fees. I also make sure I take a deposit usually 1month, minimum 2 weeks and that they understand that if payments are not paid in full, on time care ceases until full payment made. Deposit returned at end of agreement providing no outstanding fees.
    I have also learnt to claim for the maximum and then adjust accordingly as its really really hard to get money for hours back.
    I also do my own investigation into any scheme, set up contacts etc would advise not to rely on just what parent tells me.
    This may sound very hard but as said learnt the hard way. Most people, if serious about their chosen course, will be able to find a deposit from somewhere. I have a year 2 uni student who borrowed from family and at the end of this year will have repaid them so it can work really well you just have to be very clear and firm. Good luck xx

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, she wants me to start on Monday but has said she can't afford late fees but he's set up the agreement to be paid until 5pm although she would pick up at 4pm ish to cover myself. She has another son which the college pay for his after school club so I'd assume that her attendance is fine. My question is does that mean I don't get paid nursery hours and also I'm assuming I won't be paid during holidays?

Post Thanks / Like

I would be contacting the finance people direct then they can answer your questions. Iv found some do and some don't. Xx

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't think of that, I just called the customer service team who told me the form she would need and that it can take some time to sort out and that id be looking at a couple months. Haven't spoken with the parent in regards to who pays if the college won't but she wants me to start Monday morning so I'm not sure exactly what to do?

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shonar0612 View Post
    I didn't think of that, I just called the customer service team who told me the form she would need and that it can take some time to sort out and that id be looking at a couple months. Haven't spoken with the parent in regards to who pays if the college won't but she wants me to start Monday morning so I'm not sure exactly what to do?
    For me it would be money up front, or a 'sorry but no'. Maybe they can pay week by week in advance (if they can't get money together for a month's fees). I would not risk working for nothing and then finding the funding does not work out for one reason or another.
    Until the funding is set up, you have to see it as a normal contract with a parent, and that would mean payment in advance- just like any other family (or a security deposit or what ever you normally do). The college funding then might start at a future date and at that point you can review the contract and sort out those details.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    For me it would be money up front, or a 'sorry but no'. Maybe they can pay week by week in advance (if they can't get money together for a month's fees). I would not risk working for nothing and then finding the funding does not work out for one reason or another.
    Until the funding is set up, you have to see it as a normal contract with a parent, and that would mean payment in advance- just like any other family (or a security deposit or what ever you normally do). The college funding then might start at a future date and at that point you can review the contract and sort out those details.
    I agree with Moggy.

Academic finance departments can (sometimes) be very reliable. Sometimes.

All too often ,they are keen to wriggle out of paying what they appear to promise - and I had this information from an erstwhile client who worked in one such department.

I certainly would not expect to be paid for holidays and hours at nursery. They tend to work strictly on the basis of paying you only for those hours when the mindee is with you and the mum is in college, and not a minute more.

One thing to remember with the contract. Putting in a clause that "mum must pay if college doesn't" is no guarantee you'll ever see the money. Sure, it would probably win you the case through the small claims process, but if mum doesn't have the means by which to pay, such legal victories frequently prove to be entirely unenforceable. Moral and legal victories do not, of themselves, put food on your plate.

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I realise as a student Mum may not be rolling in cash but would she be willing to pay a deposit? Would cover you in case of non-payment and she would get it back? That way as Moggy says you would have money in hand.