Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 16
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Newly registered price setting query

Hi all

Had my OFSTED registration visit last Tuesday, answered a local ad on Facebook on Wednesday, mum and gorgeous baby came to visit Thursday and agreed to be my first customers that evening :-) Am thrilled to bits - but a bit at a loss as to where to start sorting out the practicalities. I quoted my hourly fee for the 2.5 days he'll be attending (which was fine) - but then got into a bit of a muddle about whether I would charge for two weeks holiday pay for myself, given that it's a term time only contract ... Advice please on what's normal?

He's not due to start till May but I guess I also clearly need to get registered with Pacey and send his mum my policies - but whe would I send her my contract and expect it signing? And would I start settling in after Easter?

I've another mum and daughter coming to see me on Tuesday - it's all moving so fast! Where else do people advertise?

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Will you be taking holidays in term time? If so, you need to decide how much and if you will charge full, 50% for that or no charge- it is just a personal decision, no right or wrong. Make sure you have an agreement of term-time dates, they differ across counties and schools, and check you are in agreement about inset days and days the schools are closed for snow etc.

I have learned from experience that a verbal agreement means absolutely nothing until contract is signed AND deposit paid. The most lovely family can say yes-yes-yes but then there is a change in their circumstances, or Granny unexpectedly offers to have baby, or mum's return to work goes wrong... and you are let down.

I would say clearly that the space will be reserved for them once contracts are signed and deposit equal to 4-weeks fees paid in full. Until then, I am actively looking for other new clients. I make this clear as soon as I meet a family. There are a lot of time wasters out there- they too have cute babies. Hopefully this one will work out for you, but be professional and protect yourself.

Contract signing needs to be done in person- face-to-face, talk through each section, make sure illness policy is clear, holiday pay agreement, early/late arrival/drop-off, when fees need paying and how, late-fees policy etc. This needs to be with both parents (if both parents have parental responsibility, even if parents are split).

I get a lot of work from childcare.co.uk

Good luck, good to hear you are getting enquiries!

Jan 16
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    Will you be taking holidays in term time? If so, you need to decide how much and if you will charge full, 50% for that or no charge- it is just a personal decision, no right or wrong. Make sure you have an agreement of term-time dates, they differ across counties and schools, and check you are in agreement about inset days and days the schools are closed for snow etc.

I have learned from experience that a verbal agreement means absolutely nothing until contract is signed AND deposit paid. The most lovely family can say yes-yes-yes but then there is a change in their circumstances, or Granny unexpectedly offers to have baby, or mum's return to work goes wrong... and you are let down.

I would say clearly that the space will be reserved for them once contracts are signed and deposit equal to 4-weeks fees paid in full. Until then, I am actively looking for other new clients. I make this clear as soon as I meet a family. There are a lot of time wasters out there- they too have cute babies. Hopefully this one will work out for you, but be professional and protect yourself.

Contract signing needs to be done in person- face-to-face, talk through each section, make sure illness policy is clear, holiday pay agreement, early/late arrival/drop-off, when fees need paying and how, late-fees policy etc. This needs to be with both parents (if both parents have parental responsibility, even if parents are split).

I get a lot of work from childcare.co.uk

Good luck, good to hear you are getting enquiries!
    Thank you moggy, that's clarified my thinking. No, I will always take my holidays in the school holidays when I'm closed for business anyway - I think that's why I was scratching my head a bit at the idea of building in any holiday pay. Ok, I'll send policies etc through and advise that the place will be held once contracts are signed. I hadn't thought of them paying a deposit - will add that to my list to factor in!

I registered on childcare..co.uk yesterday but hadn't realised you have to pay a membership fee to contact people through there.