Can I offer just 3 hours funding if child attends for 5 hours?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Can I offer just 3 hours funding if child attends for 5 hours?

I have a child who attends 2 days a week 9:30-2:30pm who is has just turned 3 and wants to use funding from next term. Do I have to offer all 10 hours a week as funded or could I offer say 3 hours funded 2 hour not each day?

Funding is more than £2 an hour below my normal rate and whilst I do offer it for full time children, I just don't think it's worth it for so few hours and might have to let her go if that's the case

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrsP2C View Post
    I have a child who attends 2 days a week 9:30-2:30pm who is has just turned 3 and wants to use funding from next term. Do I have to offer all 10 hours a week as funded or could I offer say 3 hours funded 2 hour not each day?

Funding is more than £2 an hour below my normal rate and whilst I do offer it for full time children, I just don't think it's worth it for so few hours and might have to let her go if that's the case
    It is entirely up to you. If you did say yes where would she use the other 5 hours a week? I offer funding but all my eyfs children also attend a local preschool. I ask parents to give the preschool as much they can first and I'll take the 'leftovers'. When the 30 hours funding comes in this situation will rise time and time again. Cm's need to think ahead how they are going to survive. If you said no would the parent pull her out? Would you be able to replace her quickly? You do not have to offer funding. A lot of cm's don't.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Government info regarding funding :

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...dance_2014.pdf

It says minimum session should be 2.5 hours so you could stipulate that at your setting you do this- or 3 - like pre schools and nurseries do. But you do risk your parents seeking altrnative 15 hour funding.

I offer 7.5 a day for my 2 day 3 year old funded child who I have had for a couple of years but I do charge a set rate for before 'school ( funded) and after and meals which brings me up to my daily rate so I don't lose out - but my parents could opt to just bring them for funded hour time and insist on providing their own meals - then not pay this extra . ( I know they won't).
    You should not insist a family pays this and if you are looking at 2 year old deprivation funding then it is likely the family would be unable to pay.
    Legally the parents have the option to not come outside your 'funded' hours - so you could say I do 3 hours funded and then they use the remainder of their funding elsewhere.
    It's a tricky balance if you offer funded places.

Sept 12
    Post Thanks / Like

They can't get a pre-school place until September so won't be using the full 15 hrs regardless of what I offer & the most I will offer is 2 x 3 hrs out of a total 8 hrs childcare and she will be paying for 2 x 1 hr lunchtime sessions which goes some way to making up the shortfall.

She is only coming for these few hours a week to give mum a bit of time with new baby so if I can't offer at least some of the hours funded they will stop. I'm ok about filling the space if she leaves but would like to keep her if I can as the hours work ok and she's such a lovely child.

5. Likes BallyH liked this post