30 hours of funding
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 30 hours of funding

Hi at the moment I'm working in a school nursery and today we were talking about the 30 hrs of free funding due to be introduced in 2017 I'm waiting for my pre registration and I was wondering what consequences this would have on childminding as nursery is dreading it and unsure how it is going to be possible to do . The nursery teacher saying it is going to put childminders out of business I am now a little bit worried as I was going to give up my job to become a childminder. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Sez1980; 21-01-2016 at 10:36 PM.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure why they think it'll put childminders out of business. Did you ask them to explain why?

My local school nursery currently offers the 15 hours to 80 children a week - 40 in the morning and 40 in the afternoon. The majority of parents work, but even if it was only half, that would be 40 children who qualify for 30 hours. If the nursery only offered the 30 hours to those 40 children, where are the other 40 going to go? Repeat the numbers at all the nurseries. That's a lot of children who are going to be looking for non-existent nursery places and may turn to childminders.

Or what if the nurseries carried on only offering the 15 hours? Working parents will be looking for somewhere to send their children for the other 15 hours. The nurseries are full, so they may look at using childminders.

And if the nurseries decide to fill their places with the children receiving their 30 hours funding, where are the under 3s going to go? To a childminder!

Also, the 30 hours is only available to working parents who are likely to need childcare all year round, not just term time. School nurseries don't provide holiday care so childminders could do that.

No one really knows what's going to happen, but there's no reason at all to think this will be bad for childminders. Please do ask why they think this spells the end for childminders.

Post Thanks / Like

She said why would parents pay a childminder when they can get it free. She also said that nursery will be losing children but having them for longer. To be totally honest I don't think she has much respect for childminders or what they do ( please don't shout at me !!!! )

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sez1980 View Post
    She said why would parents pay a childminder when they can get it free. She also said that nursery will be losing children but having them for longer. To be totally honest I don't think she has much respect for childminders or what they do ( please don't shout at me !!!! )
    Not really sure this person knows what she is talking about....she doesn't seem to have a clue..or given you any facts on which to base her flawed reasoning!

So much has to be decided on the 30 hours and cms will certainly be in it ...if that is what they wish to do....in fact many other providers will seek to work with cms all of a sudden!
    30 hours is not compulsory...15 hours will remain so

Tell her to wait and see and not jump the gun!
    Last edited by Simona; 21-01-2016 at 10:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll just let her keep getting her knickers in a twist over this as I'm hoping not to be there that much longer !!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't she realise that childminders can provide funded sessions so it is free for parents? As for parents wanting care for free, I have several families who send their children to the school nursery for their 'free' hours, then pay to send the children to me for additional hours. Most of them don't need to send them to me, they do it because they want to and because they dont want the children to leave my care ! As one of my mums says, they send their child to nursery to mix with a bigger group of children, but they send him to me to learn everything else!

Yes, nursery would be able to have children for longer, but they'll still only be doing the same number of hours over a week. It'll just mean they have say, 20 children doing 30 hours instead of 40 children doing 15 hours. Either way it's still the same number of hours they'll receive funding for. And talking to my current families they say that if the 30 hours was available now they wouldn't want their children in nursery for that long and would split the hours between nursery and me.Just because a nursery can offer the 30'hours funding it doesn't mean all parents will chose to use it.

To be honest, it sounds like she's a bit miffed that you're leaving and she's is trying to put a damper on what you're doing!

Simona Guest

I'll just let her keep getting her knickers in a twist over this as I'm hoping not to be there that much longer !!!
    Hope 'they' get twisted in a tight knot!!

Is this person from a preschool or a school based nursery?

I have posted a couple of articles on the 30 hours expansion in the ICM section...so we all keep updated!

Post Thanks / Like

A school based nursery, to be totally honest if I was told I could have 30 hours free childcare I wouldn't want my son in a nursery setting the whole time. I would much prefer to share the time with a more homely setting.

9. Likes Mouse liked this post
    Simona Guest

A school based nursery, to be totally honest if I was told I could have 30 hours free childcare I wouldn't want my son in a nursery setting the whole time. I would much prefer to share the time with a more homely setting.
    Thank you for your reply
    I had a feeling it was a school based nursery...this person will not need to worry about funding nor does she seem to have spent anytime tapping figures into a calculator!