Parents threatening to leave before notice period, advice please?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  98
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Mouse, I have to say you are very good at wording tricky emails/letters. I also often wonder why you chose your forum name? I think of mice as timid little things but you come across as very professionally assertive. I mean this as a huge compliment of course!

2. Likes JCrakers, Ripeberry, rickysmiths liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Years ago I had a parent who shoved a notice letter through my front door as soon as I went on a 2 week holiday - they also were sending the child to Nursery - this is the letter I sent them.

RE: Termination of Childminding Contract

I was very shocked and saddened on my return from my holiday, to read your letter regarding your intention to terminate our childminding contract for X and whilst we shall all really miss her, I am sure that X will embrace whole heartedly the social side of Nursery.

I am however, unable to accept the period of notice mentioned. Please refer to page 3 of your copy of the NCMA contract which states “Period of notice to end the contract – 4 weeks (Notice of termination of the contract must be given in writing and should not include a period of holiday or paid time off.)” Note 25 on the back of page 3, clarifies this “Such notice of termination must not be given during a period of the registered childminder’s time off or where no fee has been given for time off.”

X's childminding place therefore remains available for her to use or you to pay for (in lieu of notice), until Friday, 23 November . If you are unsure of your legal position in this matter you can telephone the NCMA Legal advice line on 01253 777468, as I have done this morning.

I hope you enjoyed your holiday, and assume I will be seeing X tomorrow, as your letter was not completely clear whether or not she would be attending during the notice period. If this is not the case can you please contact me to arrange for collection of X's belongings (clothing, topic work etc), and payment in full for 4 weeks @ £115.50 per week.

Assuring you my best intentions at all time.

They did in the end send the child back for the whole 4 week notice period and it was absolute HELL - but I was so hell bent on making them respect the contract and adhere to the terms, so in hindsight I think I would let parents go especially if you think they could make trouble down the line.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for another great response guys- that is my worry hector I don't want this to be unpleasant there is no need, that being said, I have contracts for a reason, as we all do, so i feel like a right hypocrite to just end it...I don't know what to do for the best, if they are going to be rude to me or begrudge sending their child here then it's probably best for them to be at nursery... I really appreciate all of your input!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Mouse, I have to say you are very good at wording tricky emails/letters. I also often wonder why you chose your forum name? I think of mice as timid little things but you come across as very professionally assertive. I mean this as a huge compliment of course!
    I haven't always been this assertive, but after a long time in this job I've figured out what I'll put up with and what I won't! I run a very tight business and I'm very clear on my rules - stick to contracted times, pay on time and don't send sick children. Any parent who breaks my rules feels my wrath and doesn't usually dare do it again! They know that if they get that sort of email or letter from me I'm not happy and they're usually very apologetic!

But by being so strict on the business side means it doesn't normally need more than the occasional reminder and we never really need talk about it. Parents only really see the other side of me - fun, friendly, helpful, interested and always doing the best for their kids. They love me and are slightly terrified of me all at the same time

As for the username, I can't remember where it came from, but I am a cute fluffy little thing really

Post Thanks / Like

Just got another email saying how disappointed they are in me!

I am going to have a cup of tea and calm down, then send them an email back terminating contract with immediate effect

7. Likes Maza liked this post
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleMarie88 View Post

I am going to have a cup of tea and calm down, then send them an email back terminating contract with immediate effect
    Sounds like they are trying to make you feel guilty by playing to your nice side. When will people learn that this is a job not a hobby
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Post Thanks / Like

I think they see me as the pesky hired help, as opposed to someone they should respect for looking after their child. If I was paying someone to look after my daughter I would treat them like the queen!!!

10. Likes Maza, Ripeberry liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I reckon that's what they're aiming for. They're hoping to wear you down so you'll give in. It'll come back to bite them on the bum though when you give immediate notice and they're stuck without childcare until nursery has their space.

12. Likes Kiddleywinks, Maza liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree with Mouse above - that's probably what they're aiming for

For 4 days, I think I'd let it go and know that by giving immediate notice you are probably going to upset their little applecart a bit.

For the future though, I would also take it as a learning curve and insist on 4 weeks deposit from any future clients to prevent the possibility of being 'out of pocket' again.
    It's so hurtful when parents turn like this, so feel for you.

14. Likes Maza, rickysmiths liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm very angry for you. I hate the fact that the emails are from both of them to one of you. Be strong, be professional and hold your head up high. x

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm very angry for you. I hate the fact that the emails are from both of them to one of you. Be strong, be professional and hold your head up high. x
    Great advice and wording so far.

I would just add a word of caution that you ought NOT to send any email tonight, but wait until tomorrow when you can run the content of it past PACEY legal team and make sure first that you're not dropping yourself in it.

It's only a little bit of a delay. Better safe than sorry!

Good luck, and please take a deposit next time. (I've just had a parent give notice as well after 2 years, but I have the deposit to cover me, so I'm just going to work out the child's last day based on deposit in hand and any other monies owing and respond to the parent tomorrow. I want to be as fair to them as possible but at the same time, I intend to stay business-like at the same time - not a criticism of you by the way! It's just my no-nonsense way with these things as I have a lengthy Client service background behind me.)

Hope it all works out well for you and that the next family really appreciate you. (Funny how these things work out.)

and big hug.

LK

17. Likes Maza, hectors house, bunyip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You are so right about the deposit, really learnt my lesson!!!!

I haven't sent anything tonight as I got another email asking for a copy of the contract, they have lost theirs, and they were quick to point out how I was refusing to listen to them and completely missing the point. The dad said he expected more from me because they were so good to me to allow me to have maternity (what the f-bomb!)

I've sent my other half on a wine run!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You are so right about the deposit, really learnt my lesson!!!!

I haven't sent anything tonight as I got another email asking for a copy of the contract, they have lost theirs, and they were quick to point out how I was refusing to listen to them and completely missing the point. The dad said he expected more from me because they were so good to me to allow me to have maternity (what the f-bomb!)

I've sent my other half on a wine run!
    Oh my word. Some people really have no idea, do they? I hope you manage to get this sorted quickly and can move on from them asap.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

They are starting to embarrass themselves now! I think the fact that they lost the contract means they didn't ever really take it seriously. BUT why are they suddenly looking for it - are they starting to panic a bit?

21. Likes lollipop kid, Kiddleywinks liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

NCMA (as they were back when I sent my letter) helped me word my letter - not sure if PACEY could do the same for you now, ask them tomorrow - don't reply to any more e-mails, put everything in a letter it's more professional. (You could reply to them something like "I have been advised by my legal team to refrain from corresponding by e-mail".

23. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    NCMA (as they were back when I sent my letter) helped me word my letter - not sure if PACEY could do the same for you now, ask them tomorrow - don't reply to any more e-mails, put everything in a letter it's more professional. (You could reply to them something like "I have been advised by my legal team to refrain from corresponding by e-mail".
    Just a thought, but why should you respond tonight anyway? It's not as if they're paying you for your time.

Speak to Pacey tomorrow and don't do anything for now - it might help just to let them stew for a bit.

LK

25. Likes Maza, BallyH liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They are starting to embarrass themselves now! I think the fact that they lost the contract means they didn't ever really take it seriously. BUT why are they suddenly looking for it - are they starting to panic a bit?
    I was thinking the same ... suddenly realising it was a contract and your 'proper job' not something you do for fun! And that you are not going to let them wiggle out of it.

Good luck. xx

27. Likes Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    I was thinking the same ... suddenly realising it was a contract and your 'proper job' not something you do for fun! And that you are not going to let them wiggle out of it. Good luck. xx
    That's interesting maybe you are right! X

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

And they are messing around for 4 days care? What skinflints! I'd be planning to make sure that down the line what they 'saved' by not paying you would end up having to be spent by them 'in one way or another'. I can be very patient and creative.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

30. Likes lollipop kid, rickysmiths liked this post
    Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ripeberry View Post
    And they are messing around for 4 days care? What skinflints! I'd be planning to make sure that down the line what they 'saved' by not paying you would end up having to be spent by them 'in one way or another'. I can be very patient and creative.
    I like your style, Ripeberry! I have been known to 'go sick' in the child's final week when a parent starts to play silly beggars. (Only used as a last resort mind, and I made sure no other families were affected.)

Shhhh!

LK

32. Likes Ripeberry, Maza liked this post

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast