Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Charges and flexibility out with contracted hours

Hi All,

I'm a newly registered child minder and currently have 2 littles ones. 18 months (contracted 9-4 mon-thur) and 4 years old (3.30 pick up from nursery till 4 mon-thur). The question I have is they are contracted 9-4 but the wee one gets dropped off no later than 8.40 every morning and so far in 2 weeks they have only been picked up at 4 twice. Sometimes its 4.20ish or after 5. Mum can't finish before 4pm so should i suggest a move on the hours?? Also had another day where mum was working later and couldn't get here before 6pm and asked if I would take the kids to meet her husband at his work.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to charge for the earlier than contracted starts and the evening when i had to take my own kids out to drop hers off with hubby.

I do have a late collection policy but this is only for non notification. mum texts all the time to let me know the situation.

Hope someone can advise.

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lyndsaymcfee View Post
    Hi All,

I'm a newly registered child minder and currently have 2 littles ones. 18 months (contracted 9-4 mon-thur) and 4 years old (3.30 pick up from nursery till 4 mon-thur). The question I have is they are contracted 9-4 but the wee one gets dropped off no later than 8.40 every morning and so far in 2 weeks they have only been picked up at 4 twice. Sometimes its 4.20ish or after 5. Mum can't finish before 4pm so should i suggest a move on the hours?? Also had another day where mum was working later and couldn't get here before 6pm and asked if I would take the kids to meet her husband at his work.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to charge for the earlier than contracted starts and the evening when i had to take my own kids out to drop hers off with hubby.

I do have a late collection policy but this is only for non notification. mum texts all the time to let me know the situation.

Hope someone can advise.
    Email Mum with a contract amendment note/ overtime rate note and add it to your contract with her (and get her to email back to accept it).

Something like:

-----------------

Dear X

I have noticed that you may need a slightly longer day for x and y's care.

I propose that for x's contract, we amend the hours to 8.30am to 6pm, for which my daily rate will be £xx. Or if you would prefer, I am happy to add an overtime charge instead onto your bill, which will be £xx per 15 minutes (or part thereof), so that you have the flexibility you need ongoing.

For Y's contract, I propose that we amend the hours to 3pm to 6pm, for which my after-school rate will be £xx. Or if you would prefer, I am happy to add an overtime charge instead onto your bill, which will be £xx per 15 minutes (or part thereof), so that you have the flexibility you need ongoing.

I am available to discuss amended hours/my overtime rate by telephone on xxx xxxxxxx any evening from 7pm, or between xam and ypm on Saturdays or Sundays.

Best wishes,

xxx

-------

Hope it helps,

LK

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Great letter from lollipop kid, but IF you are not happy with working after 4pm, you need to have a completely different conversation with Mum.

4. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Late collection fees should not depend on no-notice being given! Otherwise they will take full advantage, send a text and turn up when they want.

If I was you I would firstly have a meeting and change the contract hours to the time the parents can and do collect/drop off, to the nearest half hour for easy billing- so 8.30am to 4.30pm for example.

At the same time, give a new 'Late/Early Fees Policy' and attach it to the contract as part of the contract, signed and agreed- this can be double rate per 15 mins from the contracted times for example, it is up to you but it has to be enough of a deterrent to stop them taking advantage but not too ridiculous that you won't enforce it.

And if they are turning up too early don't open the door, put up a sign with your 'opening hours', don't accept it or they'll walk all over you.

If a parent asks me to have the child an extra hour one night, within my normal opening hours of 8-5.30pm, and I am happy to do so, I will charge that at my normal hourly rate. But it has to be by prior arrangement in writing.

If you start tough and stick to your guns you can then be a bit flexible for a family who you know are usually on time and have just had bad luck (car breaking down or train late). But if you start with them dictating their times you will be out of control.

6. Likes lollipop kid, AliceK liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Moggy, start as you mean to go on. I do think that parents don't even think that we actually might have a life or other commitments after we "close". My latest finish is 5.30pm and that is because most nights I do actually have to go out shortly afterwards so being late is really not an option unless a parent wants to come and collect their child from me miles away.

I would call mum in for a meeting, you must still be in the settling in period of your contract?? IF you are happy to work until 6pm then remind her of all the times she has been late collecting and advise of what the late collection charges would have worked out to if you were to charge them. Tell her she will either need to amend the contract times or ensure she picks up on time in future and let her know that you may have dropped her children off to their dad on 1 occasion but it is not something you can repeat.

Get tough now or I can see she will walk all over you

xxx

8. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    Oct 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback. the last thing I want is to let her walk all over me, but I also don't want her getting grumpy and bad mouthing me to others when I'm just starting up. Will definitely be having a conversation about possibly changing the contract to suit them more.

10. Likes lollipop kid liked this post