Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    sept 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Feel i need a total overhaul..

My job seems to have changed a lot and I feel I'm working for very little (more so waiting for funding money) but doing more work?!

I have a lot of running around to do which is something that's increased with long term children over the years and as new ones have started coming its started having an impact.

I normally charge hourly and an after schools rate unless funded (then you get what you get!)

I have one after schooler who comes to me for about 1/2 hr in total..the trip though in all to and back from school takes an hour..i charge mum an hour but include a snack..ive worked out im prob making about £3.75 to do this whole pickup. Im thinking of saying if you take a seat up after 3pm you have to pay the after school rate? its hard as shes taking a seat I could fill with an afterschooler (if there was work) or a full timer.

Food I include but my friends started asking for packed lunches to be brought..do any of you do this? it seems far easier and quicker for her in a morning/holidays to just jump in the car whereas im dashing round trying to find enough bread!!

Cant think what else to do but know its getting quite stressful and I used to enjoy it! (I have to drive to school btw as not near us!)

Thanks for any help

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would definitely introduce a minimum contract for the child you only have for half an hour and would also charge for the snack.

I used to include food in my hourly rate but decided years ago to charge separately and now I do funding I'm really glad that I do as I can charge this to parent's extra - it's only £1.50 for a cooked lunch or a cold tea but the local Nurseries charge about £3.50 for lunch so I think it's good value.

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

All my eyfs mindees bring their own packed lunches. However, this took me about 18 mths to phase in as didn't want to upset the current parents, at the time, by asking them to suddenly start bringing a packed lunch. So as each new eyfs started they brought a packed lunch.
    All eyfs children get snacks and tea included in their hourly rate. After school mindees have to contribute £1 towards their tea. This isn't much money, however, my line of thinking was 'parents can't expect much for £1' so won't make demands or complain their kids come home hungry. (Never have a complaint yet). So some evenings they have beans on toast, another spag bol.

4. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jelly Baby View Post
    My job seems to have changed a lot and I feel I'm working for very little (more so waiting for funding money) but doing more work?!

I have a lot of running around to do which is something that's increased with long term children over the years and as new ones have started coming its started having an impact.

I normally charge hourly and an after schools rate unless funded (then you get what you get!)

I have one after schooler who comes to me for about 1/2 hr in total..the trip though in all to and back from school takes an hour..i charge mum an hour but include a snack..ive worked out im prob making about £3.75 to do this whole pickup. Im thinking of saying if you take a seat up after 3pm you have to pay the after school rate? its hard as shes taking a seat I could fill with an afterschooler (if there was work) or a full timer.

Food I include but my friends started asking for packed lunches to be brought..do any of you do this? it seems far easier and quicker for her in a morning/holidays to just jump in the car whereas im dashing round trying to find enough bread!!

Cant think what else to do but know its getting quite stressful and I used to enjoy it! (I have to drive to school btw as not near us!)

Thanks for any help
    My after schoolers I charge £4 ph, & regardless if they only need half an hour I charge them the full 2 and a half hours which works out at £10 as I can't fill that space if mum picks them up early or what ever,
    I just provide mine with a simple snack fruit etc that I don't charge for but if I was providing tea, then I would be charging extra for that too,

sept 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your help/input I've had trouble getting logged on so haven't replied!

I've changed invoices & all is well

The only thing I'm now struggling with is the fact the 2 I feed after school have become totally fussy.
    They like lasagne but won't eat spaghetti Bol, they are fed up of any fish, they find fault with everything even a pizza that I thought was fail proof!

I asked mum to sit down at the weekend and compose some meals that we both agree on and will work and re plan dinner as at the mo it's all going in the bin

7. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sounds like you are making some positive changes it's important that you are happy in your job and feel like you are being properly paid.

We write menus with the children and involve them in all decisions about what food we provide. We juggle things around during the week so they all have a favourite meal at least once...

I hope it works for you! x

9. Likes hectors house liked this post