new client - get rid of current minded child for more money?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default new client - get rid of current minded child for more money?

I have a child on a mon for 2.5hrs along with 5 other minded children that day. I have had a new person enquire regarding after school care for 5 days a week. This is obviously a lot more money but i dont have a space free on a monday. Do i get rid of the child who only comes on mondays? And what do i say to their parents? Is this okay to do?

Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not something I would do or have ever done even when really desperate for more income. I think it's really unprofessional and could damage your reputation and I'm sure something will soon come along that you can take without giving up on an existing mindee.

3. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    July14
    Post Thanks / Like

I know it doesnt sit comfortably with me. Other people thought it was a good idea but i just dont know?

July 13
    Post Thanks / Like

If the sustainability of your business depends on you taking on the new child at the expense of the current Monday child, then do what you need to do.
    If you want to do this purely because you want more money, then maybe not best practice.

I've been in this situation twice before. First time I didn't need to give notice to a family to sustain my business and my family income so I didn't mess about with ending any contract. The second time was when a family drastically shrank their contract and I couldn't afford to keep them on at the expense of another client wanting more hours.

Old family were understanding and my business reputation was not affected. I explained myself fully and they could see why I needed to do it.

Be honest with yourself. Do you want to do this for the right reasons? If so, then I'm sure the family with the child on Monday will understand.

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tonip View Post
    I have a child on a mon for 2.5hrs along with 5 other minded children that day. I have had a new person enquire regarding after school care for 5 days a week. This is obviously a lot more money but i dont have a space free on a monday. Do i get rid of the child who only comes on mondays? And what do i say to their parents? Is this okay to do?
    Any chance you could just take them on tues-fri as that's all you have vacancy wise, you'll be surprised they may say yes?

I don't agree with handing notice just to fit another child unless this current one knows this would be the case or your having problems xx

7. Likes Maza liked this post
    July14
    Post Thanks / Like

I have only been running less than 12 months and I probably made a mistake by taking on 4 children, 3 diff families, for just after school on a monday only but I needed the money and you panic when you first start out. It has meant that mondays are full after school which is a hinderance. But its such a hard decision. I DO need the money but it seems really terrible to drop this child. Although when they first started they wanted 3 days a week which was great but within a couple of months they dropped 2 of the days to use the after school club! So much for loyalty off the parents. I think telling the potential parent i am avail. 4 days may be a possibility. I just dont know Whats best.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's really hard ...

As you are talking about an older child I don't think the impact is the same as for a younger one.

I would never do it for the little ones - they are settled and happy - but with older children I think they could make a transition to another setting for the sake of one after school day a week.

At the end of the day you have a business to run

10. Likes FloraDora, keohane1 liked this post
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I completely agree with sarah - the impact on this child would be minimal as they already go t afterschool club the other 2 days!
    first I would ask the new family about the possibility of tu-fri , but I certainly wouldn't rule out giving notice to your existing mindee if that's the only way and the income is necessary.
    Your main priority is for your own family - if the family finances are stretched then you need to do the right thing for them before the existing mindee.

12. Likes cupcake22 liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't normally give notice to an existing mindee but as you have said this child already uses the after school club 2 days a week and so I would ask the parents if there was any chance that they could go 3 days instead. I am introducing in September a minimum of 2 days a week contract as I am fed up with the paperwork that goes with having so many part timers (as well as all the Xmas & birthday presents for the mindees, mothers / fathers day cards and craft, parent's birthday card crafts and Xmas craft etc).

Or another option would be to suggest that the potential new mindee goes to the After school club on a Monday.

I would be honest with the Monday mindees parents, explain that you have had another enquiry that you can't do as their child only comes one day a week, maybe suggest to them that they send their daughter the 3 days they originally wanted.

14. Likes Merlot liked this post
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with Hectors House. I would speak to Monday child's parents and ask them if they want the 3 days they originally asked for. I wouldn't normally give notice to a parent for more money as it is bad practice and also had it done to me when I had a childminder. I wanted to destroy her reputation but never!

Speak to other parents and see if they can do tues-fri. I've had to turn down lots of parents in the past and some of them have really liked me so arranged their work around my availability. I believe in being upfront and honest then no one can say I never told them.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Can you move the Monday child's day if they do two days at after school club? Could they go say Monday and another day so you get the space back on a Monday? Just back off hols but maybe sorted now. Hope so!