Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fees and retainer for sibling newbie help

Hi,

I am just starting and had an enquiry I am wondering what others would do with regards to fees. Enquiry is for 2 children, 3 year old and 1 year old. 3 year old to start asap 1 day a week. 1 year old sibling to start in September 2 days a week and 3 yr old will also increase to two days per week in September. Hope that makes sense! Would you charge a retainer fee to keep the space open for the younger sibling? Was thinking of charging half rate for the sibling, but unsure whether to charge retainer for the second day the 3 year old isn't using until September as well?! And assume you then would not fill that space if you are charging retainer.

Any advice or coents what you would do in this situation would be greatly appreciated!! They are coming to visit tomorrow and I just want to be clear where we stand with fees straight off.

Thank you 😊

Registered Childminder since
    Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have the spaces available now then yes you can charge a retainer but I wouldn't do this for so long. I only hold a space for 3 months in advance with a retainer. Maybe suggest that the parents get in touch later on and take a chance on you having 2 spaces or see how they react when you say they have to pay to hold the places.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good idea about the retainer fee but not being for more than three months. How does the retainer fee work though do you just deduct it from there first months fee?
    I have a lady who was starting in June now saying she wants August so u was contemplating doing the same thing x