How to get more children
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How to get more children

I have recently started childminding and have a lo for 2 days , she has settled in very well , this week I have had 4 sets of prospective parents visit my setting and leave very happy , but none have come back to me with a definite yes. I think my setting is lovely I have a dedicated playroom , and separate sleeping room . What am I doing wrong ! My price is slightly lower than other minders , the mum I already have told me straight away yes , Do parents normally let you know when they first visit ? Maybe I'm too nice .
    Any and all advise welcome TIA

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It is great that you have had 4 sets of parents see you- you must be doing well with marketing.

When the parents leave after a visit, do you email them?
    I always email the same day- 'it was lovely to meet you and little Johnny, I'd like to confirm I do have a vacancy available for xxx days/times and I'd be delighted to offer the space to you. If you'd like another visit or if you have any other questions please get in touch. I have a few other parents visiting this week so if you would like to accept this space please can you let me know by xxx date. etc.'

I'd also be emailing P&P. If I do not hear back I'd be telephoning to say j'ust keeping in touch, how are they doing with the decision, reminding of other parents looking and can't keep space open for them without a decision'.

If they say 'no' then ask if they'd mind saying why, because you would like to be able to change and make improvements and all feedback helps.

Some parents viewing CMs are just having a look around, comparing nursery/CM, not seriously looking, some view 10 CMers so 9 of them will not get the contract! etc

You must be doing something right to get the parents in so keep it up and the work will come. It also helps once you have your first mindee as it is easier for parents to see what you do and current mindee can write you a reference (get a reference on childcare.co.uk too)

3. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's hard isn't, knowing how to get the balance right between prospective enquiries that are 'seriously serious' and those that are 'just looking'

Think of new house viewings - some are serious, some are looking for ideas, some are just looking because although they would like to move, would like a bigger house, would just love each and every house they see, they haven't started to save for the deposit yet, or sold their own house yet, or even got as far as putting it on the market yet!, and some can be the competition coming to check you out lol

I view childminding in the same way - some parents haven't actually got a job yet, or even applied for one, or even decided for definite that they ARE indeed going to go back to work yet, so are just getting an idea of how much it's going to cost, and who they like the look of should they get a job.

Being cheaper isn't always a good thing, and to be honest, whilst I understand the reasoning behind being lower to begin with, it nearly always bites you in the bum, because at some point, you're going to have to make changes or put your prices up, and then the worry is that parents will leave because of it.
    Some parents are also left to wonder 'well why is x cheaper than y and z. What does x do, or NOT do, to compensate for the decrease' because they won't ask you why you're cheaper.

I waited months, and months for my first child - it was horrendous.
    It got to the point where I started looking at changing my deodorant
    I was getting the enquiries, I was getting the visits, I was getting all the right noises from the parents when they were here, what I wasn't getting though, was the work, and to this day I don't know why not, as I don't do anything any differently on visits now to when I first started.

That said - the parents I have are fab, the children I have all click together nicely, the dynamics work wonderfully well, and I'm not entirely sure it would have been that way with some of the other enquiries if they had in fact come to me.
    There was one visit, that went so well, they were ready to sign up there and then, but I suggested they go away and have a think first (didn't want to seem too eager lol). They were stood outside talking for nearly an hour... and I never heard back from them again, ever!

With hindsight, there were siblings involved so I'd offered a discount (something I never do now lol), the school was a lot further than the schools local to me but as I had no mindees at the time I said the distance wasn't an issue, when it actually would have become one that winter as we had really bad snow - could barely get to the school half a mile away, so definitely wouldn't have been able to get across town, and I'd basically offered to do so much at a reduced rate that it wouldn't actually have been worth my while financially. So I'm rather glad now that they didn't come to me lol

I also found that when I stopped 'caring' so much about wanting the parent to 'like me' things went a lot smoother, less formal, and I started signing them up.... Now I'm getting recommendations and...., and.... I have a waiting list

The FIS and a paid for childcare.co.uk subscription pretty much sorted me out, and that's what I tend to stick to as a 'continued prescence' and update both regularly.
    If I get any spaces that parents on the waiting list can't make use of, then I let current parents know of vacancies coming up, the schools/preschools, and put 'flyers' in the local shops.
    As a paid member I can send a message to any parents on the childcare site and that helps too. My last 6 children came from there

Good luck with it, relax, be yourself, don't try too hard to please (my mistake lol), and don't take on 'any' job just to get you minding as that might not be beneficial longer term, and lets face it, it's the long term we're after

5. Likes Sammy Jo T liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with previous posts. Especially KW's point that a lot of 'prospective clients' are merely 'testing the waters'.

It's worth reminding yourself of the nature of our business. There are a lot of 'fine lines' - attracting or losing a single client can make a huge difference, but their decision might be based on a very small thing, or on nothing more than a random 'gut feeling'.

You're probably doing nothing wrong. Some parents will choose their setting based on the oddest things: gut-feeling being a favourite illogical approach. I know a lot of parents who pay lip-service to "wanting the best for my child", but will choose a CM for their own convenience: either a small cash saving or, more commonly, distance travelled. I regularly get told my location is "too far" from them, when I could walk to their home in 15 minutes, or their route to work is 2 streets away from my house. They wouldn't say it, but they'd rather use some baby-farmer than add an extra 2 minutes to their commute.

Are you trying too hard when parents visit? It's possible to overload parents with information or scare them off with learning and development (as I did recently), etc. before they're ready to take it all in.

Parents are all different. A lot of the ones with the CM near me have mentioned they knew straight away because of the "chemistry" because she holds the baby/child straight away from the first visit (mind you, some of them changed their minds just as quickly. ) I'm the opposite and don't go grabbing children on first meeting (in any case, I just make the poor little mites cry. ) My theory is that any fool can kiss a baby, but it takes a good 'un to build the foundations for a workable arrangement.

I've learnt not to expect people to call me back with their decision, not even the ones who smile and promise to. Be prepared to call them. When people do speak to you, they will be reluctant to say anything "negative". If you're sufficiently thick-skinned to take the answers, then ask them to be specific, and say you need to have honest feedback in order to improve and attract some business. No offence, I don't know you, but sadly a lot of CMs "can't hande the truth" like this. They send out parent questionnaires, then treat useful "negative" comments as "offensive", "cheeky" or "ungrateful".

See what you can do to fit the needs of parents in your area. Advertise where people need childcare and for the way they need it. eg. If you have a big hospital/school/college nearby, you could consider the needs for flexibility, shift-coverage, term-time-only, etc. and advertise within those establishments on noticeboards, etc.
    Last edited by bunyip; 11-01-2015 at 10:20 AM.

7. Likes Sammy Jo T, Kiddleywinks liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree great you've had lots of enquiries, that's the hardest bit.

I've also found since getting the first couple of mindees I've relaxed and am now much more picky and lucky to be in a position to 'choose' whether or not I want to take on children and parents that visit and have got more sign up the busier I get and now have a waiting list of existing parents wanting extra days.

I always ask parents to bring along a list of any questions they have when they visit, and give them a quick look round downstairs of house then tell them about a typical day at mine and let them ask their questions. I then tell them to have a think and I email them thr following day to say lovely to meet you all please get in touch with any further questions or if you want a second visit, a couple were seeing other places or cms and some are just a bit unorganised so I've heard up to 3 weeks later they've picked me. I find because I make contact people do let me know if they don't want the place which I do appreciate as then at least you're not left wondering.

Sure you'll get more soon, maybe ask existing parents to write a short review for childcare.co.uk

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a bit of an mind blowing moment recently.

I have been with Childcare.co.uk for donkeys years. When I am full I tend not to look at it, and I never get any calls.

Last December I changed by profile to reflect a vacancy coming up. By actually logging onto the site, so many people ave looked at me, and I even had 3 families out over the holidays. I could have filled the space 3 times over.

As the saying goes - you have to be in it, to win it!!!!!

Parents will only look at childminders who have logged on recently.

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Another thing I do, which I haven't seen mentioned, is ask parents when they expect to make a decision by. Mentally, if I haven't heard back from them by then, then I know I won't be getting the child.

11. Likes bunyip liked this post
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

I have a portfolio with all details about me and my family. I offer information about tax credits, car seats for safety, meals, house rules, policies and permission forms and all my certificates. When I get a parent wanting to visit I ask details about the child with likes and dislikes and ensure I've put a few activities out for them to enjoy. I always start by a warm welcome, introducing myself and my family if they are there, or telling them about me and my family and show them around my home before we sit and play. I offer refreshments and whilst I'm making them give them my portfolio to browse over. I explain that all parents get a copy of everything in it then talk about them and their childcare requirements. Like Bunyip, I don't race in to grab the child, I give them the opportunity to explore and feel comfortable in their surroundings.

I was quiet for ages with just a couple of kids after school and after being set up for 18 months, I had a visit from new parents with a baby. I did my usual routine then laid on the floor near the baby but not too close and played with one or two toys until they took an interest. The baby really warmed to me and parents said I was the first childminder he hadn't cried at!

Another parent came along a few months later and found me more professional (her words) as I offered all my paperwork in a portfolio and this attracted her. She was a professional woman so this naturally impressed her. I was very open and honest and at the time had a little one having a meltdown. Mum looked horrified and I laughed and said "Don't worry, it's the terrible two's and will be over shortly". I dealt appropriately with the child and didn't try to pretend life was wonderful. She felt relaxed as she'd seen how I dealt with a situation so was happy. She had a choice of 2 childminders and when I got the feedback she said she felt at ease with me and loved my portfolio.

I am always open and honest with parents - good or bad. I try to use tact () but parents know they get the truth at the end of the day and children know they will be in trouble with parents.

I have been very busy for a long time and something I've learned from past experience is go with your gut feeling. I've had nightmare children but been deperate for business so took them on, only to regret it. I've also had parents visiting just to mess me about then get my Ofsted number to claim tax credits.

Sounds like you're doing everything right just be patient and not desperate. I've been a busy fool with nightmare kids and would rather have lovely children and a happy working environment. Parents are happy with quality childcare which spreads a good reputation.

Good luck!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to update you lovely CM 2 sets of the parents came back to me both full time the first said they didn't actually choose me their daughter (16 months ) did as when she came to my house she smiled and played with me as English is not her first language I was the only CM she interacted with . The other parents said I was the only CM who asked to cuddle their baby .
    I am going to love this . Already full .

14. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats. How lovely to hear feedback like that.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Brilliant news. Well done you x

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Awww, well done

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant news well done you, obviously naturally relaxed with the children and if parents get that feeling their child will be happy witj you that's often all that's needed :-)