What to charge for adhoc additional day
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What to charge for adhoc additional day

I charge £22.50 a half day and £32.50 a full day.

I have 2 sisters on a Thursday and charge near enough a full day for both of them. I charge Mum £59.50 for the day (instead of £65) as she picks up at 4.30pm instead of 5pm. Last week she asked me to keep the girls until 5.30pm. I also fed them dinner (I don't provide dinner usually) and didn't charge the Mum any extra for the hour extra or dinner. She did offer but I didn't charge. I open at 8am but she never drops until 9am (her choice, though great for me).

I didn't charge for the extra hour last week as I had two weeks off from them when they were on holiday but she still paid me (it is in my contract that she pays for her holidays but not for mine).

She phoned me today and said has an unexpected interview this Friday morning but no childcare. Could she drop girls with me at 9.30am and she will pick up at 4.30pm. I drop eldest at nursery at 12.30pm and younger sibling at play group for roughly the same time. Pick them both up at 3.30pm. I have said I can do it but haven't given her a price.

So really I will only have eldest child for 4 hours and other chiid for 4 and a half. It is a total pest for me but I have agreed to do it as I know they have noone else to help with childcare.

I was taking my children somewhere for 4pm and it means I will have to go very late now. I don't mind taking them to nursery and play group but picking them up is inconvenient for me. I have my own child to get from High school and my other children to get from Primary all at roughly the same time.

Therefore, I think to charge a half day ie. £45 for all my inconvience on Friday is a good price to give her. Also, will cost me petrol I wouldn't have had and toddler group in the morning.

I am worried she thinks I am taking the biscuit! Because she gave me two weeks off and still paid me and now I am charging for 4 hours. I could charge her for both girls for full days so I feel 2 half day fee's are very reasonable but I'm not sure it is when I consider I got those 2 days off.

I know I've waffled on. What would everyone else do. She always pays me early, she is very polite and grateful and the children are lovely girls to have. I know whe will pay whatever amount I say so don't want to come across as if I'm charging too high because she will pay whatever amount I want to charge.

Thanks for reading!

Post Thanks / Like

I think charging a half day is very fair, I certainly wouldn't consider doing it any cheaper. I am aware that they are at playgroup but it would be very difficult for you to provide care for anyone else during that time plus the inconvenience of going back and forth and the time that takes. Mum in effect is asking for 7 hrs of your time. So at half day rate you would only be asking for approx £3.20 per hour. Don't sell yourself short :-) . The fact that she just paid for her holidays is nothing to do with this new request. She sounds like a fair person who understands your working policies, you are a business please don't feel guilty :-)

3. Likes trickiedickie liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    pre reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Nat. I am going to charge her a half day x2. Turns out the youngest will only be in playgroup for 1 and a half hours of the day (when she is with me not at play group she naps longer!). This also prevents my mindee that day from her longer nap so my day is absolutely hectic now instead of a nice quieter day.

I said to the Mum this morning I wouldn't charge as she had given me two days off but she was adamant she wanted to pay and would never be able to ask me again for help if she didn't pay. She said she really didn't want to be in that position.

I am going to charge her £40. I don't think I would do it again if she asks again as it is really inconveniencing my children so next time I would put my kids first. Also, I look forward to a Friday as I only have one child (through choice) (one child is as good as none!)
    to mind so have a nice quiet relaxing day.

Thanks Nat.

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds good to me and I don't blame you. I used to have a quieter Friday and it's now become one of my busiest days!

6. Likes trickiedickie liked this post