Temporary contract possibly becoming permanent
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    jun 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Temporary contract possibly becoming permanent

I might be about to start caring for a pair of siblings, but the contract needs only to be temporary as the Mum's job is temp until Xmas. Her work contract may be extended or even made permanent after Christmas but due to the nature of the job (sick cover) she will not get much notice if it will be extended.

So am I right in thinking the best thing to do would be to just do a temp contract to cover from between now and Xmas, and then if she comes back to me and wants it extended I should do another contract with a review date of e.g. a years time?

Also, as there aren't that many weeks now until Xmas, and as the first four weeks will be classed as a settling in period where they can leave without notice, I'm unsure if there's any point in taking a deposit to cover any notice period? I already know that it's either ending after Xmas, or I'll find out last minute that she wants to continue with the care. After the 4 weeks settling in, there are only 3 weeks left of the temp period, so I can't ask for 4 weeks notice, so can't really take a deposit (also I think it would be unfair to as I know the lady won't be able to give me much notice).

Also, with regards to advertising the space for after Xmas, as I may be suddenly left with 2 spaces if the contract isn't renewed, I was thinking of taking the names of anyone who wanted care for after xmas. Sort of like a waiting list with the knowledge that there may be a space but there may not be. Obviously the people may find care elsewhere in the mean time, but at least I'd be doing something towards filling the spaces that I might have after xmas!

Does this all sound sensible to you people in the know?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes to waiting list .. Good idea

Yes to temp contract.. I would maybe take a deposit of two weeks or something .. Hold it in an account in case they do leave at Christmas , but good to have one in case it becomes longer term

3. Likes bigfuntime liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn''t do a settling in period if it's a temporary contract. I'd go straight into the full contract and expect the usual 4 weeks notice if they wanted to leave before Christmas.

I would also keep advertising the space with it going to the first family who can sign up for definite for the New Year, whether it be this family or another family.

5. Likes blue bear, mum67, bigfuntime liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I wouldn''t do a settling in period if it's a temporary contract. I'd go straight into the full contract and expect the usual 4 weeks notice if they wanted to leave before Christmas. I would also keep advertising the space with it going to the first family who can sign up for definite for the New Year, whether it be this family or another family.
    Good advice (as usual!) from mouse.!

7. Likes bigfuntime liked this post