Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1 hour care per week!

Hi I'm looking for some advice on how to charge for one hours care per week for a 1 year old? Sounds bizarre but it's literally due to the cross over of mum wanting to help out running a local group and dad coming home from work (who will collect from me). It's just one hour and I have no idea how to charge for this. I have space but don't want to charge a session rate as the session is not fully available to mum, just the hour (and hour before if needed). How on earth do you charge for an hour so it's fair to both parties?!

Any advice welcomed!

Many thanks

Sept 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would charge slightly higher than my normal hourly rate- if you are happy that it won't block a space you could otherwise fill.

3. Likes Rolacolapink liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I too would charge a higher rate but to be honest depending on the time would not take on x

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you doing it out of 'trying to help out a friend/acquaintance' or is this a total stranger?

If you are trying to help out, I would think further down the line - is this act of kindness going to stop me taking on a full session child? So I would want to make it clear that it may only be temporary as I wouldn't ordinarily do just an hour or two and therefore charge Maybe £5 per hour minimum or not all if it's of a benefit to the industry! or community - depends what the local group is and what it means to me i.e a Good cause etc....

If it's a total stranger - I wouldn't do it as they may expect and quite rightly so that if you take the odd hour contractually, you will be expected to save the place for the lo come rain or shine provide all the paperwork associated with childcare (how you could do this in 1 hour a week I don't know) and for me it isn't financially or practically viable.

Remember your a business and it isn't your responsibility to pick up other peoples responsibilities so that they can follow their own interests. Don't do yourself a miss service.

6. Likes Rolacolapink liked this post
    June86
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know the going rate in your area but l have a parent who uses me for the odd hour if l have the space l charge her £5 (£1.00 above my rate) she expected to pay more but thats not something l could do.

Apr 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Koala it is to help a local mum set up a group that my own daughter could benefit from. I'm in two minds about whether or not to help.

The mum is aware I only have this time slot available and only due to another EYFS child going home shortly before.

Thinking about all possible options I've come to the conclusion I need to remain flexible on times for the child already in my care that day.

I don't need the extra business and tbh it would cause a bit of a headache.

I guess I've answered my own question then! ha ha

Thanks all x