Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Feeling bad

Registered Childminder since
    Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Feeling bad

Bit of a long winded one but could do with others thoughts on this. I look after a school child, sometimes once a week sometimes 3 depending on mums hours. I collect him, take him to school, collect from school, look after till 6 and drive him home.
    My normal rate is £5 and I've only been charging them till 5:30, different long story! Basically I get, including meal, £14.50. The child often bickers with my child and often I feel run off my feet with him which is fine, I knew what I was taking on but over a year later it's getting a little bit too much at times.
    I've told parents that in 8 weeks time I will no longer charge hourly for after school care, it is £25 including lifts and a meal and that will take them to 6pm which is my closing time.
    Parents aren't happy and have basically said they won't carry on with me which is what I expected. I've explained that because it's a business this isn't financially viable anymore. I also know their previous cm charged them £30 a session.

I just feel really bad and that in completely unreasonable. One of the other reasons is I have to make this 'worth it' as, it sounds awful, but my children have to take a lot with me being a cm and for £14.50 a day I sometimes feel like it's not worth it.

Sorry for the essay and thanks for reading, there will probably be some that agree with what I've done and I know that some will shoot me down. I'd just like some thoughts on this as I feel terrible about the whole thing.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you have given plenty of notice. Would you be that bothered if they do leave?

I would be surprised if they can find anyone to collect and delivery while working for so little.

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Don't feel bad! Parents know they are getting a good deal with you at £14.50, particularly as they were paying double that before you came along.

I charge a flat rate for before and after school (1 hr am + 3hrs pm), before 8am is higher, as is after 6pm, I do include food, but I do not pick up or drop off at home.
    £25 is not unreasonable IMO

Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I could never be a cut throat business woman! Short stuff, no I wouldn't be bothered I don't think :-)

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You have given a lot of notice, so are perfectly within your rights.

I think I would have decided whether or not I wanted to continue with the contract at all. If I didn't want to continue with, no matter how much money I was getting, I would just have given notice.

If I decided I was prepared to carry on doing it, but only for the right money, I'd do exactly what you did and put the fee up to the minimum amount I was prepared to accept.

What do you think you really want to do? Continue, but for more money, or end the contract completely?

Nov 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

As mouse said I too would decide if I wanted to continue for a more reasonable fee or give notice altogether x

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems perfectly reasonable to me - both the notice period and the new price. Especially since you are flexible with how many hours they use each week. Hope you can feel at peace with it soon x

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

They've had a good deal with you. You are entitled to earn a decent amount. They will NEVER find another CM to do what you do. Many don't drive kids to their own doorstep for a start!
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Post Thanks / Like

Dont feel bad its your business, most childminders round this way charge a flat rate too and none of them pick up/ drop off or provide a meal. I bet once they look round and realise other childminders are charging the same or don't offer the taxi service for them they will be beginning you to keep him.

Good luck I hope you get the out come you want.

Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy to carry on but only if the price is right as such. It sounds awful but I need the money so hoping they carry on but if they don't then it's probably for the best. I've told them that full days I will charge my usual hourly rate as I have him during holidays. I just started to feel a bit like a nanny/taxi with all the running around.

My kids are struggling with things at the moment for various reasons, they understand why I mind but sometimes find it hard that I have to look after other children. For such a small amount (although it adds up) I sometimes feel like I'm running them through the mill too much.

Thanks everyone, sometimes I find it so hard and speaking to you guys helps. It's certainly a lovely job Sometines and many people don't realise how hard it is unless they are a cm themselves.