Breakfast
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Breakfast

Registered Childminder since
    Sep06
    Post Thanks / Like

How many of you provide breakfast with no charge? I ask parents to provide lunch and i can provide snacks and drinks. so far due to the time my current mindees arrive they have breakfast at home, but i have had the odd few enquiries asking for a 7.30am start or 7.45 and asking what i provide. I know nurseries provide breakfast but should we feel we have to as Childminders? The older the child the more they eat, but then i think if i said no i don't provide it then they make look elsewhere. Does anyone ask parents to provide the cereal or just say i provide but at extra charge,or included in the price or just not do breakfast atall?

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Snowwhite. I don't charge for breakfast. I used to charge £1 for breakfast. I provide snacks for free and charge for lunch and tea meals. When I altered my prices I put that children who start at 8am or before there's no charge for breakfast. It's usually cereal, porridge or toast - don't get any takers on fruit although it is offered. Weighing up the cost of what they eat it's not killing my profits and it's a good incentive for parents too. In the holidays we have treats like pancakes, boiled eggs etc if we have time of course. I did have an older child that ate and ate at breakfast so I limited time to the table and put things away once everyone was eating. Also stopped buying branded cereals as kids can't tell the difference and there's a huge price difference with some of them.

3. Likes Maza, TabbyTuTu liked this post
    Sep06
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Merlot,that's good to know

Post Thanks / Like

I provide breakfast at no extra charge, tbh I think the amount it costs me to provide breakfast is minimal anyway. I offer cereal and or toast, although if the child is school age they have to arrive before 8am to get breakfast otherwise there's not enough time.

May 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding.
    Post Thanks / Like

I ask parents to provide breakfast but only have one child who has breakfast with me. I find as the children get older they tend to have breakfast at home. Children arrive from 7.30 am. I also charge for meals and most parents prefer to bring pack lunches etc.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to charge for breakfasts although DH says that I will ruin my business before it starts with that attitude I plan on being open from 7am, so my own children shall be having breakfast it seems rude therefore not to offer it to a child who arrives at that time. I only buy value cereal and 75p bread anyway, can't really see giving it for free ruining my profits much. It will only be offered to any child arriving before 8am though, like natlou says, no time before school otherwise! Snacks will also be free although I may ask for a charge for lunch/dinner if required

Post Thanks / Like

You have to do the right thing for you, there really is no right or wrong. I choose not to charge as I prefer to offer an all inclusive package, this in turn makes invoicing easier.

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

My minded children bring their breakfast (cereal) or Brioche and I provide the milk - I also make a plate of toast every morning for all to share

Sep06
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do all meals at no extra charge - but Ive never ever thought of it as 'giving it away free'. Its simply part of my service so it is included in the charge!

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    I do all meals at no extra charge - but Ive never ever thought of it as 'giving it away free'. Its simply part of my service so it is included in the charge!
    I do the same. All meals are included in my rates so if a child is contracted to attend over a meal time they get that meal. My only rule is that if children need to have breakfast here they arrive at 8am and no later.

xxx

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    Childminders in my area charge a set fee for hours and extra for meals. As I'm trying to run a business I calculate my costs according. As some parents do not want meals they wouldn't be happy if I charged higher rates and I wouldn't be on par with other minders in the area. As for keeping hourly rates low and include all the meals, it really wouldn't be worth working. My shopping bill has double since childminding. I provide fresh fruit for snacks and purchase fresh fish, fresh meat from the butcher and only ever use free range eggs. Sorry, but healthy living comes at a price. Many people think childminders are glorified babysitters as wages are low enough as it is. I don't want to split even with my figures, I need to make a profit to pay my bills so free food is not part of my service I'm afraid.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Merlot , Im not disagreeing with you about covering costs etc , yes it costs me a lot to provide healthy meals!
    But why do you need to be the same as the other minders near you?
    Most of my local minders charge hourly , extra for meals , parents provide packed lunch etc... I have an all-inclusive daily rate ( excluding formula) . Parents are able to chose the service they prefer and pay accordingly.

15. Likes AliceK liked this post
    July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We charge a higher rate for children coming before 8pm which gives us a bit extra for them eating breakfast. Used to charge extra for meals but it all got a bit complicated!