what would you do?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default what would you do?

I have shift worker parents who need mon-wed but only use two of those days each week (days differ) so we agreed that they'll pay full amount for those days even if they don't use them.
    in the past they asked me to childmind on a non contracted day because of family emergency and I didn't charge extra, now they need another day and I'm wondering whether to charge or not. Am I being silly? I feel a bit bad as they pay for extra day each week without actually using it but then again that's what we all agreed to and they were happy with it and now they need care on a day that isn't covered by contract.

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would normally charge but more so if it's likely to become a semi regular thing

If it's a 'one off' I might look at how flexible parents have been for me and not charge, but I would make sure they were made aware that I should be charging

Flexibility works both ways, and yes we are a business, but sometimes a little goes a long way....

Edit:
    That probably hasn't helped you at all has it?

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi :-),
    I would definitely charge: you are reserving the days for them so there is no reason why you shouldn't expect payment. It sounds as though they understand too, so I wouldn't complicate matters and risk regretting it later.
    If they have misunderstood and say anything about the day you didn't charge them for, I'd be ready to explain that you didn't charge for compassionate reasons and it was a one off gift.

I do understand where you're coming from - its hard being a nice person who wants to help everyone, especially the families of children we care about - but we need a balance and to maintain our business sense to be able to keep providing our great service. Remember providing excellent care for someone's child is already being exceedingly helpful!

It is a business arrangement at the end of the day and if parents' circumstances change for the worst, they don't pay us extra to help us out. Nor should they. We need to remember our own value and charge accordingly.

Good luck

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

So if I understand it correctly they are contracted for space on a Mon, Tues & Weds only? If so and they want to use you on a Thurs or Fri then irrespective of whether or not they have used their M - W spaces that week they still need to pay for that and count themselves lucky that you actually have a space on those days for them.
    It would be different if they were contracted and paid for 3 days per week but the actual days were not specified but in your case it sounds like the days available have been specified in the contract??

xxx

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks girls xx
    You're right I should charge especially as I have a feeling it might become more regular thing. Why do I feel so awkward then? Lol