What would you charge
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What would you charge

3 full days a week for siblings but one is going to nursery full time aged 3 , but will require bringing to and from and emergency care and holiday care as nursery only open 40 wks . Do I charge normal rate or wraparound care rate , and please can someone explain if I charge wrap around rate how does this work . Will I be able to provide the care for nursery child as a continue of care . Parents will use 15 hours funding for nursery.

Post Thanks / Like

If it was just bringing to and from then I would just charge for that and try fill the space in between however since they want emergency and holiday care you cannot fill that space. I would therefore charge full day rate. If the parent doesn't agree then give them the option of you charge for drop off and pick only and you will provide emergency/holiday care IF you have the space available as you can't keep that full space open for 12 weeks pay per year unless you are happy to lose that amount of money. If you are happy to lose that little bit if money you could charge for your wrap around and the half day rate to keep the place open for them and then the full day rate in case of emergencies and holidays. IYSWIM x

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The siblings will each take an under 5 space if they are both under 5. You cannot offer a space to both children unless you have 2 spaces available. Continuity of care does not apply as they are new business. As the parent requires the space to be available for the 3 year old in holidays and emergencies then they will be block an early years space so I would charge to make it available for them to use when required - you could offer either half or full fee. Explain they are paying for a limited childcare space not for your time

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I have two spaces but will the child aged 3 who's going to nursery full time need to take up a place , I would be taking him to and from so wouldn't this be wraparound care ,

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny2 View Post
    I have two spaces but will the child aged 3 who's going to nursery full time need to take up a place , I would be taking him to and from so wouldn't this be wraparound care ,
    You could look to fill the space while the child is at nursery, but what would you do in the holidays or if nursery was closed for any reason?

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The child will still take up an under 5 space even if it is wrap around care. A child that is 4 and attending full time school, not nursery, can be classed as an over 5 for ratios but a 3 year old in nursery,even a school one is still early years

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

The parent wants childcare in the holidays as well , have told her that I would have to include this child and charge at day rate , but she has spoken to another minder who is only charging for the morning and late afternoon , and will have also in the holidays , so wondering how this other minder is getting away with it .

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi ,
    It may be that the other childminder is able to do that because she doesn't need to fill all her spaces to earn enough money; or perhaps she has a term time only contract for another child who uses the hours whilst the other little one is at pre school.

We can charge however we like, there isn't a fixed way that it works regarding fees and charges.

With time and experience you will find what works best for you. It can be frustrating to think you may have lost a mindee by charging for preschool time, but if that's what you need to do, you would be very cross with yourself if you had agreed to only charge for hours used and not been able to make a decent living out of your business.

Hopefully a better fit family will come along for you soon. Good luck

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The parent wants childcare in the holidays as well , have told her that I would have to include this child and charge at day rate , but she has spoken to another minder who is only charging for the morning and late afternoon , and will have also in the holidays , so wondering how this other minder is getting away with it .
    The other minder is not getting away with anything she just has a different pricing structure.

Just because some members would charge for a full time place doesn't mean that's the only way.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

10. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would only charge wraparound fee in this instance and full days during the holidays. Yes this does mean if I took on another child during the nursery hours I may not be available for unexpected nursery closures etc but that's the chance the parent would have to take. I am happy to fill the gaps others create and also it's good for AdHoc care

12. Likes bunyip liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry just got back from holiday , so to clarify If I charged wrap around care for the mornings and after school , and charged full rate for the holiday time only would I still of had to count this as one of my 3 allowed as I can't offer continuity of care for him . My option would be to get another to fill in the times , term time only sorry all new to me and I do want to get it right.

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry just got back from holiday , so to clarify If I charged wrap around care for the mornings and after school , and charged full rate for the holiday time only would I still of had to count this as one of my 3 allowed as I can't offer continuity of care for him . My option would be to get another to fill in the times , term time only sorry all new to me and I do want to get it right.
    You cannot offer continuity of care because both siblings are new business. Continuity of care can only apply if you already care for the children and their circumstances change. To offer new business places you have to have them available.

He will take one of your under 5 spaces every day that he attends even if for a few of hours which means you cannot take on another child during the afternoon as you have to factor him into your afternoons and for the full day holidays, however as you say you have a morning space available term-time only that you could fill.

Continuity of care could be used if a parent of an existing mindee had a baby and you were full you could take the baby as continuity of care. Not in the circumstances that you have now.
    Last edited by tulip0803; 31-08-2014 at 09:39 PM.