Do you charge family/friends your normal daily rates?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you charge family/friends your normal daily rates?

Please could I have you lovely peoples thoughts about this - I've been asked to mind my nephews who are 21mths and 6. I don't know what to charge my sister as it will be full time and she will be claiming childcare tax credits. Both her and hubby are going to be full time work but I know they struggle financially.
    Anyone got any advice?
    Thank you in advance x

Registered Childminder since
    Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge mine full rate when I have them. They are normally harder work as family always want benefits think it's ok to be late and are a total nightmare if anything family should always pay twice the going rate.

3. Likes Koala, loocyloo, ziggy liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 friends use me, I charge normal rate, charge for their hols and not mine, do all the contracts etc as if they were another parent and keep it professional. Did feel a bit guilty charging them while they were on holiday, and considered letting them off but reminded myself this is my job, its my business, have to put business head on, they'd expect to pay it to a stranger but prefer to send their kids to someone they know and trust already so haven't ever questioned it.
    I think if you set the tone of being professional, hopefully they will follow too, if you give them mates rates and let them pay late etc you're setting yourself up to be messed around and with them being family it'll be even harder to chase it up. Just my opinion though!

5. Likes Koala, loocyloo, funemnx liked this post
    Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you need to earn a living? Do you get 70% off your bills from the government? Ask yourself these questions and you will find your answer yourself.

I look after 2 family members children - supposedly one day each a week - I don't charge because I don't want to and its only 2 spaces for one day, but It is niggling me a bit, especially when they pick up late!!

If I thought they were able to get tax credits I would probably charge them, If they needed full time spaces I would have to charge them Full fee's, everybody struggles so don't be a sucker, they will have to get their act together and cough up. And don't be conned into giving them a freebee their already getting one from the government. Harsh I know, but realistic. hope it work out for you make sure they are aware of your boundaries!! both children and adults.

Oct 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I charged full for my niece & nephew but I couldn't afford not to, it's completely up to you what you charge but be careful not to put yourself out financially. I'm sure if you have a chat to them about it being your job/livelihood they will understand if you have to charge full, they would have to if they went elsewhere anyway!
    I doubt though that with them both working full time they will be eligible for much if any childcare tax, they would probably save more through employer childcare vouchers.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your advice. It's very welcome all of it

9. Likes Koala, loocyloo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I also care for my niece and nephew (I actually offer a very slight discount) the contracts were all done and signed the same as any other parent and like some others have said the holiday and sickness policy and charges are the same. Keep the business side professional and they will too. If you did decide to offer a huge discount or freebie you would regret it as you ll quickly begin to see how precious your spaces are and how much potential money you are losing and that could cause resentment. Good luck, I adore taking care of my niece and nephew :-)

11. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks also natlou for your reply. X

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have looked after my niece for 2 years, thankfully my sister works in a nursery, so for her it was a case of, LO goes to a minder that has to get to know her, or goes to a minder that already knows her - that made it easy

We sat down and I made it crystal clear that we would have 2 relationships, and neither could cross over to the other. Decisions made during working hours were for the business and if there was something she was unhappy with, as with any other parents, she could follow the contract protocol and act on it, without fear of retribution from me towards her, or her towards me, at family gatherings lol

As far as I was concerned, sis is another parent, my niece another minded child - she even knows the difference when she's here as a minded child and as my niece lol, it's quite funny actually.
    And I don't do a discount either.....

14. Likes loocyloo, hectors house liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is really interesting to read! I am going through the same situation at the moment with my neice and nephew. The business will be at my new house which we will be spending all our money on getting it suitable for the business like putting a conservatory on for more room etc. My mum is insisting we mind my Neice and nephew for £2.50 an hour (between them!) for 2days a week and in the school holidays which I'm really not happy about. My brother is pleading poverty which is a load of rubbish and just uses my parents for free childcare they both have well paid jobs but think that childcare should be free. . It's caused a big family feud and myself and my husband are now wondering if its a good idea to go ahead with it. The house we have just bought was purely for the business as its a big house but needs lots of work. I'm nearly 7months pregnant and have a 2year old we will be hopefully taking someone on to cover me while I'm off having our baby. Everything will be 50/50 split. I'm just annoyed we will be losing out on so much money/spaces for them that don't even appreciate it!

Xx

Post Thanks / Like

You probably just need to be blunt with them. Because of your own children you would only have one EY space - and it's important that you are paid in full for that space to keep the business sustainable. I would be reluctant to take them on if they are causing so much stress already, no one else would offer childcare as cheap as they are suggesting so why should you?

Post Thanks / Like

I've sorted the situation out with my sister finally. Gave her 50p discount per child and won't charge her for their time off if different from mine. Even tho they're both working they can claim childcare credits so I'm happy and they're happy. I will be having the boys from 8-5.30 so it did work out a lot without the 70% help but at the end of the day it won't be forever. She did grumble about paying the 30% aswell but tough I've worked bloomin hard getting ready to start I deserve it!!!
    £2.50 between two is ridiculous! Maybe £5-6 between ph, if they're on low wages they would get help if you're registered/or funding (not sure if you are or not I'm newish and I don't know how to go back and read your post :/) like what's been already said if you don't get paid enough then you won't cover your outgoings. I think it would be ok to do it cheap for over 8s but not for under that due to ratios and all the eyfs stuff you have to do.
    Poor you you've got so much going on. Good luck x

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad you've sorted it tonib xx

Post Thanks / Like

It's a joke isn't it! As we will be working together we are allowed 3more children as my 2 and my neice take up most of the spaces. They do have money but expect everything for free with them being family. We gave t started childminding yet as we are waiting for the go ahead with my new house. Xx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jenjen2014 View Post
    It's a joke isn't it! As we will be working together we are allowed 3more children as my 2 and my neice take up most of the spaces. They do have money but expect everything for free with them being family. We gave t started childminding yet as we are waiting for the go ahead with my new house. Xx
    You could just tell them that if they are as broke as they plead then they will get help with childcare therefore if you charged say 6 pound an hour for 2 then they would only contribute 1.80 themselves. And not to be funny if they aren't eligible for tax credits then they are on a decent income and should pay the full rate poss with a slight discount. If they weren't happy with this then I personally would be telling them you simply can't afford to do it and ask them to go elsewhere. Where it will be a lot more than you are offering. If you do it for 2.50 per hour for 2 then you are hardly covering the cost for snack never mind making a profit or outings etc, and you will probably end up resenting them and poss your mother for trying to tell you how to run your business x

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE="littlebears1009;1371380"] You could just tell them that if they are as broke as they plead then they will get help with childcare therefore if you charged say 6 pound an hour for 2 then they would only contribute 1.80 themselves. And not to be funny if they aren't eligible for tax credits then they are on a decent income and should pay the full rate poss with a slight discount. If they weren't happy with this then I personally would be telling them you simply can't afford to do it and ask them to go elsewhere. Where it will be a lot more than you are offering. If you do it for 2.50 per hour for 2 then you are hardly covering the cost for snack never mind making a profit or outings etc, and you will probably end up resenting them and poss your mother.

June 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Whenever I hear anyone thinking about minding a family member it makes me cringe. I know some people it goes well for but iv had a nightmare, lots of friction, never again