How much discount for 2 nd baby?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  24
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How much discount for 2 nd baby?

Hi , my mindies mummy is having another baby and wants to know how much I'll be charging for baby no 2? I charge £25 per day so how much discount should I give ?

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Hiya. I charge £4 an hour for first child and £3 an hour for siblings x
    If all else fails......add glitter!

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

i did discounted rates for family of 3 then she left, so never again, I now charge daily rate no matter how many hours or how many from each family

4. Likes Maza, rickysmiths, lilac_dragon liked this post
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donna porter View Post
    Hi , my mindies mummy is having another baby and wants to know how much I'll be charging for baby no 2? I charge £25 per day so how much discount should I give ?
    None.
    Which part of your service does she suggest you reduce in order to reduce your fee. Does she want lesser care for the second child? no. so why would she pay a lesser fee.

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't offer a discount anymore - all children require the same amount of care so....

When I did - I charged a bit less per hour for the older one who might or might not be in school/playschool and therefore here less hours anyway

7. Likes lilac_dragon liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Aaaah. How sweet.

Isn't it touching when you find a truly dedicated mum who values her children.................... like they're part of some 'buy one, get one half price' offer at the supermarket.

I too would recommend the big, fat zero% percent discount.

Brief pause for thought. Which of the following would she expect:-

The supermarket will give her 20% off nappies.? All she has to do is remind them that she used to buy the same brand for the first child.
    When they're a bit older, Maccy D's will give her discount on HappyMeals, cos there'll be 2 sprogs dining.
    And of course she'll be delighted when her employer says he will pay her 20% less for every 2nd day she works. Obviously, like she expects of you, she can't expect to get paid more for doing more work.

In fact, 2 children from the same family are potentially a liability. F'rinstance: If she cooks up a dodgy meal and they get food poisoning, then you have to notify EHO and Ofsted of 2 simultaneous food poisoning cases. They'll close you pending investigation. Weeks later, when the lab tests are back and you're cleared. Mum will be nowhere to be seen. And you'll have lost all your other clients and left to start again from scratch with no income, no compensation, no clients, and an unfairly tarnished reputation to boot.

9. Likes lilac_dragon, Merlot liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't offer any discount to the siblings I care for at the moment and they were my first clients. It didn't even come up in conversation with mum. OP I would reply ill charge you my daily/hourly rate as normal and leave it at that.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be saying since your first one started my new rate has increased to ..... But I'm happy to continue child one as agreed x

12. Likes Koala, Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If the second child takes up one of my early years places I don't offer a discount at all.

If I take a baby on under continuity of care, so they are my 4th EYs child, I may offer a slight discount, although in the past I have done what Watford Wizz says and told parents my rates have gone up, but I am prepared to keep them at the current rate for both children.

14. Likes Chatterbox Childcare liked this post
    Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are going to do a reduced rate, you should charge full for the youngest child, and deuce the rate for the oldest. The oldest may do less hours per week, plus, they are likely to leave/need less care, while you will remain with the youngest.

do not reduce the youngest's fee, but the oldest's child's

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I cared for siblings. They took up 2 of my 3 EYFS places.
    They gave notice 4wks before Xmas. Lost 2 thirds of my income in one go.
    I'd never given a sibling discount, it is actually increasing our risk to have siblings (above example)- I'd like to charge extra!
    I would seriously have to think about whether I'd even have siblings again.

17. Likes Maza, ziggy, bunyip liked this post
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

£25 a day is extremely cheap IMO....I charge £35 and I thought that was on the low side. I would only offer a discount if they were both 5days a week.

I have a sibling starting in August and mum asked me if I offered a discount but child 1 only attends 18hrs a week so I said no. If my 50hr a week mindee was to have a sibling then I would offer a discount
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

19. Likes Chatterbox Childcare liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I offer a small discount for eldest child of 2 (or more) children if BOTH attend for a minimum of 25 hrs a week.

X

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I told a mum last November that I used to offer a small discount for the second child but her discount would be that I was keeping the price the same for both children as I had put prices up in September for new business.

The eldest child is off to school in September so I have informed all parents that the price is going up, especially as for the last 2 years I have been able to have 4 children on a Monday due to continuity of care / sibling baby, but will have to go back to only having 3 children now so instantly a £35 a week wage decrease.

22. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    SEPT 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I offered a discount for one family at £4 per hr when i have just one lo, then £7 per hr when i have the 2 of them. One of them is at school full time so i only have her in school hols. I offered the discount for the 2 children purely cos at the time i didnt have much work. I must admit i wouldnt offer discount again. It just worked for me at the time.

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't offer any discount any more. I have 3 siblings and they get 0% discount! Costs mum a small fortune. I can't help she had 3 children. She still gets full family allowance and tax credits so why should I miss out. Tell your parent you don't or no longer do discounts. I used to have 2 siblings when I first started. To be honest they were a pain in the @r5e! I should have charged double for my trouble!!

25. Likes ziggy liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Aaaah. How sweet.

Isn't it touching when you find a truly dedicated mum who values her children.................... like they're part of some 'buy one, get one half price' offer at the supermarket.

I too would recommend the big, fat zero% percent discount.

Brief pause for thought. Which of the following would she expect:-

The supermarket will give her 20% off nappies.? All she has to do is remind them that she used to buy the same brand for the first child.
    When they're a bit older, Maccy D's will give her discount on HappyMeals, cos there'll be 2 sprogs dining.
    And of course she'll be delighted when her employer says he will pay her 20% less for every 2nd day she works. Obviously, like she expects of you, she can't expect to get paid more for doing more work.

In fact, 2 children from the same family are potentially a liability. F'rinstance: If she cooks up a dodgy meal and they get food poisoning, then you have to notify EHO and Ofsted of 2 simultaneous food poisoning cases. They'll close you pending investigation. Weeks later, when the lab tests are back and you're cleared. Mum will be nowhere to be seen. And you'll have lost all your other clients and left to start again from scratch with no income, no compensation, no clients, and an unfairly tarnished reputation to boot.
    No we don't notify it is the GPs job to do this in cases of Food Poisoning and any other Notifiable disease. They don't automatically close a Food Premises down either it depends what is reported actually. The doctor won't report anything until he has had stool test results back and actually cases of Food Poisoning are relatively rare. Just because you get a bad stomach for a day doesn't always mean you have FP.

A few years ago I had a really bad episode of FP. Bacillus cereus. (from a Risotto.) We had been staying in a very good hotel in Birmingham for the weekend, a treat it had a pool and spa etc. We ate in the hotel restaurant in the evening so we could have a drink, no driving home. I got up next morning and did feel well. Two hours later I was vomiting and had violent d. How we got home to London I don't know but we stopped at every service station on the way and stopped by the road I was so sick. I rang Dudley EHO the next day to report it and they weren't bothered at all. As far as they were concerned the Hotel had a good Hygiene record and as it was only one case they would not even investigate it. So the Hotel never had a visit or anything. I wrote to the Hotel and they didn't even reply and showed as little concern as the Hotel staff had on the Sunday morning. It was appalling. When I visited my GP he had had a very similar experience a couple of weeks before me, not in the same palce but the EHO hadn't even taken notice of a GP!!!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

OP I don't offer a discount because every child takes up a space, eats the same, uses their own bedding, same resources, uses their own craft stuff, takes up their own seat in the car. Just because I have two from the same family they don't cost less to maintain than two children from different families!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I thought it was standard to give discount but maybe not . I'm in Northern Ireland which explains my cheap rate. :-)

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I suspect the food poisoning issue may well be yet another of those where different LAs deal with things in different ways.

When EHO visited me for my registration, it was one of her 'clipboard questions': "how would you deal with an incident of suspected food poisoning?" Certainly in my borough we are expected to report even single cases of suspected food poisoning to EHO. She said that it was "standard practice" to close you down pending inspection if they believed there was evidence of multiple (2 or more) cases and a doctor had diagnosed at least a likelihood of food poisoning. I know of a few local food outlets who've had this happen, but no CMs - so maybe they are a bit more reasonable/lenient 'off the record' or CMs are doing better than take-aways/cafes.

It is certainly a regulatory requirement to notify Ofsted (EYFS 3.47), although EYFS does not detail how much evidence is required. Is it when the doctor diagnoses, or mum suspects, or what....?

Anyway, I still think siblings are frequently more trouble than they're worth, and for other reasons too. I certainly wouldn't be giving them a discount. I gave my first set of siblings a discount and lived to regret it.
    Last edited by bunyip; 23-06-2014 at 06:19 AM.