Parent on holiday for  two weeks
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Parent on holiday for two weeks

If parent is on holiday for two weeks, would you still charge them the same? LOt is only here two days a week. Feel a but awkward saying they should, although will be a very poor income month if they don't. Very new to this, so all comments welcomed. Do nursery places charge still?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Antics View Post
    If parent is on holiday for two weeks, would you still charge them the same? LOt is only here two days a week. Feel a but awkward sawing they should, although will be a very poor income month if they don't. Very new to this, so all comments we lcome.
    Hi,

When I'm up and running, I will be charging full fee for Mindees holidays as unfortunately I won't be able to fill those spaces.

However, if I'm on holiday or unable to work then I won't charge any fees.

Good luck with what you decide xx

3. Likes Goatgirl, Hatchlings liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a section in your contract that mentions holidays?

I make it clear to parents when they sign up that if they go on holiday (or keep their child at home due to illness) then they still pay me in full. If I am away (ill or on holiday) then there is no charge. This is written clearly in the contract that they sign. You can only charge if you discussed it in advance and they signed to say they agree to it. Check your contract. If it doesn't say anything about holidays then you will just have to put it down to experience and learn from it for when you take on a new client. Maybe you could review your contract with this parent and include a bit about holidays, but I don't think you could enforce it before this holiday takes place.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What have you put in the contract? If you have put that you charge for their holidays then charge
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

What does it say in your contracts about holidays? If you've been through it with the parents and they have signed to say they agree to pay when the child is on holiday then it shouldn't be a shock to them

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Follow your contract. If it says you charge then do so. It is important to stick with what is agreed as it muddys the waters further down the line.

I always follow my contract to the letter for the first few months, then once the contract has bedded down and I know the family better I will then decide if it's a family I will do favours for or one that will take the Michael if I do.

8. Likes Maza liked this post
    Dec 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, its quite clear on contract and it has been discussed at signature. However, it was more discussed around 'if I'm not available, I won't charge' . Don't think I was clear enough verbally in hindsight. Well, wish me luck, I will discuss with parent later this week.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If your contract says you charge full fee when you are available but the parent is on holiday then you need to remind the parent of this clause in the contract and charge her in full.

11. Likes Maza, Goatgirl liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Antics View Post
    Yes, its quite clear on contract and it has been discussed at signature. However, it was more discussed around 'if I'm not available, I won't charge' . Don't think I was clear enough verbally in hindsight. Well, wish me luck, I will discuss with parent later this week.
    Good luck!

I would try and word it as if they should already know, Say something along the lines of

"I've added X's holiday dates to my diary. As you know, those weeks are charged at full rate, so I will invoice you as usual".

You don't actually say they have queried it, so with any luck they are expecting it anyway

13. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Dec 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Good luck!

I would try and word it as if they should already know, Say something along the lines of

"I've added X's holiday dates to my diary. As you know, those weeks are charged at full rate, so I will invoice you as usual".

You don't actually say they have queried it, so with any luck they are expecting it anyway
    Thank you all for your input and advice. As I say, I am new to all this so you gave me the confidence to be professional and basically respect myself and the service I am providing.

So yes, I confirmed that I would still be invoicing (in advance) for the holiday days in question. However luckily enough (for the mum), I would also be on holiday the following month - so as I would not be charging for those days. It would all equal out in the long run. Mum seems okay with everything at the moment. So all good.