Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bank holidays

Registered Childminder since
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bank holidays

I offer flexibility with working bank holidays with prior notice. If a parent wants me they pay a higher rate, if they don't they pay half rate. Does anyone else work bank holidays?

I have a child for 10 hours which has fallen on a bank holiday. Parent wants me to work 3 hours only. I said I would only do their contracted hours. Am I being mean charging 10 hours at a higher rate or should I charge 3 hours at the higher rate with the rest of the hours half rate? I don't mind working bank holidays but to mess my day about for 3 hours doesn't seem worth the hassle. I have my own family too. In the past the requests have been for the normal contracted hours which was simple.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally would charge full at the higher rate, particularly if it is a contracted day. I charge full if not required and time and a half if required but parents are charged for the full contracted time. Hth x

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep I would charge for 10 hours if that is the contracted time whether she comes for the whole lot or not - or half fee for not attending, it's simple from what you explain.
    I wouldn't get into negotiating any further as these are your terms.
    Would you split normal days i.e if she only came for 3 hours on a contracted day give her a reduced rate for the remaining 7 she hasn't attended? it's the same scenario in my eyes. stick to your terms or it will create resentment mum has the option not to send lo and pay your bank holiday entitlement at half rate or take you up on your very generous offer of working bh but she has to pay for that privilege and make it worth your while like any other business wanting staff to work their holidays.

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that. It's what I thought but sometimes parents make me feel like I'm mean!

Oct 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge time n a half if they need me and nothing if they don't. I had the same situation on Friday as you however it was me who suggested they could do shorter hours and just pay for what they use, they decided on a half day which suited me just fine as it gave me the rest of the day just for my children

My advice is stick to what works for you, we're all different

Oct 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge time n a half if they need me and nothing if they don't. I had the same situation on Friday as you however it was me who suggested they could do shorter hours and just pay for what they use, they decided on a half day which suited me just fine as it gave me the rest of the day just for my children

My advice is stick to what works for you, we're all different

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

As I charge in advance if a parent had needed me for today they would already have paid me double fee for their normal hours. If they then didn't use all the hours that is up to them but I keep the fee exactly the same as any other day.

oct 96
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge for all Bank Holidays & I don't work them

Cupcake22

9. Likes alwaysright liked this post
    Sep06
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake22 View Post
    I charge for all Bank Holidays & I don't work them

Cupcake22
    Do you ever find any parents get a bit arsey with you cupcake when you say Bank Holidays are full fee but you don't work them? I had a couple came to see me last week and i said i charge full fee for two B/H's but i don't work them, and the rest at half fee as they fall when i am off work.They didnt like that and said where there child is now (a nursery) they shut on all Bank Holidays and its no fee
    Last edited by Snowwhite; 22-04-2014 at 03:21 PM.

oct 96
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwhite View Post
    Do you ever find any parents get a bit arsey with you cupcake when you say Bank Holidays are full fee but you don't work them? I had a couple came to see me last week and i said i charge full fee for two B/H's but i don't work them, and the rest at half fee as they fall when i am off work.They didnt like that and said where there child is now (a nursery) they shut on all Bank Holidays and its no fee
    No its not been a problem so far. They know that I charge before they sign up. They all get paid for Bank Hols but don't work them. If it did become a problem I wouldn't charge for future parents but would then average the costs out though the year & add them to their fees.

Cupcake22

12. Likes Koala liked this post
    Sep06
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake22 View Post

No its not been a problem so far. They know that I charge before they sign up. They all get paid for Bank Hols but don't work them. If it did become a problem I wouldn't charge for future parents but would then average the costs out though the year & add them to their fees.

Cupcake22
    Cool.Thanks

nov 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwhite View Post
    i also charge full fee for all bank holidays but dont work them and dont intend on ever doing so, but this is fully explained the first time i meet parents and they then have to choice to use me on these terms or go elsewhere, almost all minders in our area do the same though. and as for nurserys not charging for bank holidays i find that hard to believe!

15. Likes cupcake22 liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If parents want me on a bank holiday, I work at my normal rate. If they don't then I don't charge.

I'm not saying all CMs should do the same as me, though I do resent being told by other CMs (and my DO in particular) that i shouldn't be doing this - I've even been accused of 'stealing other CMs business' because I'm prepared to do what they aren't.

I do feel it's a false argument to say things like "parents all get paid for having bank holidays off." It's not true and it can damage our businesses to demonstrate this sort of ignorance of diverse working/family situations. I despair sometimes that CMs want all the benefits of being self-employed then bemoan the fact they lack the entitlement of employees.

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    If parents want me on a bank holiday, I work at my normal rate. If they don't then I don't charge.

I'm not saying all CMs should do the same as me, though I do resent being told by other CMs (and my DO in particular) that i shouldn't be doing this - I've even been accused of 'stealing other CMs business' because I'm prepared to do what they aren't.

I do feel it's a false argument to say things like "parents all get paid for having bank holidays off." It's not true and it can damage our businesses to demonstrate this sort of ignorance of diverse working/family situations. I despair sometimes that CMs want all the benefits of being self-employed then bemoan the fact they lack the entitlement of employees.

Good for you - each to their own!!!
    BUT
    I don't think anyone is doing this, what is being done is an example comparison and why not. Why shouldn't a self employed person look at what is considered acceptable and ethical in employment when it comes to work ethics and paid holidays to enable them to devise what is acceptable for them - god knows there isn't any legislation to support self employed people otherwise!. And some parents do get paid bank holiday's - some don't (shrug shoulders) whats the matter with you Bunyip 'ignorance' is a bit harsh. Do you need a Buny hug??

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I charge usual fees for bank holidays and double fees if required to work ... No one has ever complained.

But .. I now don't work Mondays, am usually off at Easter and Christmas so no one pays anyway as I don't charge for my holiday!

June86
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge for bank holidays and would work at normal rate if required, haven't needed too for several years and no-one has ever questioned paying for them, there are some families who have to work and have no family to help out. In OP situation l would charge just for 3hrs and if l thought they were just using me l would stipulate the first 3 hrs and not have the day messed up.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Koala View Post
    [/COLOR]

Good for you - each to their own!!!
    BUT
    I don't think anyone is doing this, what is being done is an example comparison and why not. Why shouldn't a self employed person look at what is considered acceptable and ethical in employment when it comes to work ethics and paid holidays to enable them to devise what is acceptable for them - god knows there isn't any legislation to support self employed people otherwise!. And some parents do get paid bank holiday's - some don't (shrug shoulders) whats the matter with you Bunyip 'ignorance' is a bit harsh. Do you need a Buny hug??
    I think my main point is much the same as yours: to each his/her own.

I use the term "ignorant" not as an insult, but in the dictionary sense of "having or displaying a lack of knowledge or understanding". There seems to be an all-pervasive and rather lazy argument that everyone else gets paid bank holidays off and it simply isn't true. This would indicate that a lot of CMs don't know or understand that a lot of parents aren't getting paid time off at bank holidays or, more likely, know that and are choosing to ignore it.

I've worked bank holidays for most of my working life and did not get any pay enhancement for it: just the normal rate. I have clients who are self-employed who don't get paid for not working bank holidays. I know of other self-employed parents with other childcarers who hate the fact they're being charged whilst their children are at home, on the basis that "well, everyone else gets paid time off at bank holidays" and it just makes their childcarers look bad and look unable to see anyone else's situation.

I agree with you about comparisons, but we're collectively cherry-picking the comparisons we make, which can only upset clients who could make rather less favourable comparisons of their own. I think part of the problem is that CMing is rather unique: self-employed, but highly regulated, so a lot of comparisons simply don't work.

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    I think my main point is much the same as yours: to each his/her own.

I use the term "ignorant" not as an insult, but in the dictionary sense of "having or displaying a lack of knowledge or understanding". There seems to be an all-pervasive and rather lazy argument that everyone else gets paid bank holidays off and it simply isn't true. This would indicate that a lot of CMs don't know or understand that a lot of parents aren't getting paid time off at bank holidays or, more likely, know that and are choosing to ignore it.

I've worked bank holidays for most of my working life and did not get any pay enhancement for it: just the normal rate. I have clients who are self-employed who don't get paid for not working bank holidays. I know of other self-employed parents with other childcarers who hate the fact they're being charged whilst their children are at home, on the basis that "well, everyone else gets paid time off at bank holidays" and it just makes their childcarers look bad and look unable to see anyone else's situation.

I agree with you about comparisons, but we're collectively cherry-picking the comparisons we make, which can only upset clients who could make rather less favourable comparisons of their own. I think part of the problem is that CMing is rather unique: self-employed, but highly regulated, so a lot of comparisons simply don't work.
    I know what ignorant means - thank you - And still think it's a bit harsh (I wouldn't think you would ever want to insult anyone) . Lots of people do lots of different things, offer different services, accept to work bh or not as the case maybe and some take it as annual holiday (paid) It's not a lazy argument I don't care what others get paid or not for bh - I want paying as a holiday and my parents want to pay me and do because I am worth it, It doesn't make me look ' bad' I think I am worth it too. These are all proposals to the client who do (if they agree) or do not (if they hate it) accept .

Cherry picking - why not? - isn't that what everyone does? Do what does work and don't do what doesn't I find makes for a very successful business.

I think I will agree to disagree with you on this one because we could go on forever.

22. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can understand both sides of this. My view on it is that I am more than willing to work bank holidays (always have, why would now be any different ) and therefore it is a day when I am available to work.

If a parent chooses not to bring their child to me, that is their choice and their prerogative, all parental holidays and children's holidays are charged at full rate so, theoretically, if they were to book the bank holidays as a holiday then they would still have to pay me anyway. I charge time and a half if the child does attend, as bank holidays typically are considered to be "unsociable" and therefore are charged at the higher rate.

If I opt to "book" a bank holiday off myself I provide all parents with advance notice and do not charge at all due to being unavailable.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not willing to work them so dont charge. I have only been asked once and as soon as I mentioned that I have a rare day with DS by ourselves it was fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast