over night charges for siblings...advice please!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default over night charges for siblings...advice please!

Hello iv had a Mum ask me about over night care once a week whilst she works nights. I normally charge £30 per night per child. One is 5 one is 2, I'm thinking min wage is £6.30 ish an hour if I charge her £60 for the night it will be most of her nights wages what shall I do? I thought about £50 but that's still nearly 8 hours wages if she's on minimum :-(

Sept 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you know mum is definitely on NMW or whether she gets higher rate for night shift? Is there a partner also working night shifts? TBH I'm not sure that should make any difference & you need to charge what you at comfortable with & mum can either accept or not (or negotiate). If you rate for overnight is usually £30 I think a £50 for a 2 & 5 year old is more than fair.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. The charge is about what you need to earn to make a potentially sleepless night bearable. Being happy in a setting during the day is 1 thing but overnight is a whole new ball game. Personally I would not reduce my usual fees as there is the potential for resentment to creep in.

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Give her your rate and she can decide if she wants the over night care or not. You are still doing the hours after all and it means no leaving the house either so you are house bound 1 evening a week and with lighter evenings coming in that can be hard enough I like to be out and about in the evenings.
    Tess1981

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea she is married and her husband also works nights and increasing his days that's why they need me for one night a week. I don't know how much she earns I'm just going on a guess I think she's a nurse at the local hospital. Ok I see your points thank you I'll keep it to what it is she can either say yes or no can't she!x

nov 02
    Post Thanks / Like

a nurse at a hospital will defo not be on the minimum wage! and they could also be getting tax credits for childcare

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

You must remember a lot of childminders do not offer overnight care - no one in my area does!
    I charge £5 an hour per child throughout the night - you are on hand every minute should there be any problems and these are young kids !
    Easy to forget we are offering a professional service - we are not babysitters!!!!!!!!!