Working day
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Working day

Post Thanks / Like

Default Working day

Hi , I'm considering charging £40 per day or £5 per hour inclusive of meals and snacks but what's the average working day hours?

Obviously I'm nit expecting a 9-5 working day but I also want time to get my own children sorted too

Thanks

Registered Childminder since
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think there's an average although most tend to do around 8-6? I do 8.30-6.30 as this fits round family. If you do before 7.30am or after 7pm it might be worth charging more for unsociable hours?

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

I work 7.30 till 6.30 4 days a week and 7.45 till 5 on friday. I charge £3.50 all year n £4 tto. Average here is £3.50 to £4.50

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I work 8-6 and charge £50 a day inclusive of meals and snacks x

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends where you live x my average here is £3.50 but I charge £5 an hour for before 8.30am, after 5.30pm and for weekend care x

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't set your working hours just yet, wait and see what prospective parents need then work around that if you can x

7. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My fees are the same as Karen - £3.50 per hour and £5 per hour but outside 7 am and 6 pm. I only charge by the hour I do not have a day rate. My hours vary depending on what families come forward for vacancies.

AT the moment Mon - 8-7 (8-5.30, 11-7 & 1145-3), Tue 8-7(8-5.30, 9-3, 11-7), Wed 11-7(11-7, 1145-3, vacancy) Thurs 6-5.30(6-3, 7.30-4.30, 9-3, 3-5.30) Fri 7.30 - 5.30 (7.30-4.30, 1145-3, 1145-5.30, 3-5), Sat 6-6 (6-3, 10-6) and an ad hoc schoolie various hours. Things change after easter when one parent is cutting hours, another child is starting school and another child is taking their place, I will have a vacancy tues & 2 Wed so will only work 3 1/4 hours Weds for the time being.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    I work 7.30 till 6.30 4 days a week and 7.45 till 5 on friday. I charge £3.50 all year n £4 tto. Average here is £3.50 to £4.50
    Does this include meals? The average here is £5 per hour some charges£8

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lorraine Owen View Post
    Does this include meals? The average here is £5 per hour some charges£8
    I charge meals on top.

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends on where you are. In Kent I charge £5 per hour but in my local area it varies from £5 to £8. As said before it may be best to see who comes along and how much they seem willing to pay. I work 7.45 to 6.45 but I don't have young family to see to

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Wanna cry. I'm £22-£25 a day includes meals . and snacks. That's the average in northern Ireland
    Tess1981

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in bexley which is south east london/North Kent and the charges do vary but the lowest seems about £4 per hour

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Karen regarding working hours.
    When youre setting up its sometimes hard to get mindees.....wait and see what enquiries you get and see how much you want the contract.
    One of my mindees does 7am to 615pm - not hours I had intended doing originally but I was willing to do them as its a 5 day a week contract , year round - financially I would have been foolish to say no even though I need to get up earlier!!

15. Likes karen2010 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As others have said my working day is dictated by demand. I currently do 8.15-6.15, I'm not sure if I would start earlier than 7am as that just wouldn't fit around my family.

I would initially suggest thinking about what you are prepared to do and advertise as that...as great as the money would be for me to start at 6, I would hate every second of waking up that early! My advice, think about what you are able to do long term and stick to that- don't make it hard on yourself, because it's harder to go back once you have said yes! X