Retainer vs no retainer
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Retainer vs no retainer

Hi all, I'm after a little advice. For term-time only children, I currently charge a half fee retainer during the holidays. However, I'm considering stopping this as I feel it might deter potential new clients. Having said that, I'm not sure I want to give up so much money, so I'm considering charging a slightly higher rate during term time instead. Has anyone else tried this- if so, how much extra did/do you charge, and was it well-received by the parents? TIA x

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I charge a higher rate for term time only children ...
    Hourly fee £4.
    £4 x 39 weeks ...£156
    £2 x 13 weeks ...£26
    £156 + £26=£182
    £182÷39 =£4.6666 ... so charge £4.65/hr termtime only .

Parents think they are getting a deal. I still get paid for holidays and if they come for additional hoc day in holidays they pay the higher rate. Bonus!
    Only thing is to remember to put the extra in a saving account to pay yourself in the holidays!

Most of my parents have been happy as I've always done this. Odd parent hasn't wanted to pay a higher fee ... so I said fine ... Then it's normal fees all year round! Quickly worked out my way was better for them!
    Last edited by loocyloo; 29-03-2014 at 08:17 PM.

3. Likes alwaysright liked this post
    pre reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I am just starting out and really wanted term time only children. So, I just charge £2.50 extra a day to term time only parents. Nothing during holidays.

After 12 months I am going to up this to £5 more a day for term time with no retainer. Once I'm established I'm hoping word gets out there that I offer term time with no retainer fee and teachers etc. want to start using me.

The post above mine makes perfect sense.

You should work out what you want to earn each week then divide it up to the 39 weeks a year instead of 52. Good luck.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge an extra £1 per hour for term time only contracts with no retainer in the holidays - no complaints so far