Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How would you charge?

Hi,

I look after a lo 4 days a week Tuesday - Friday and from January 2015 he will be starting pre-school. I have just had an email from Mum and just wondering what to reply.

Just wanted go over what happens when xxxx goes to PreSchool. I have his name down and have requested the following hours/days.

Wednesday – 9.10 – 3.10 Would need you to do a pick up and drop off
    Thursday - 9.10 – 3.10 Am hoping I can do pick up and drop off
    Friday – 9.10 – 3.10 Am hoping I can do pick up and drop off

Can you let me know what would happen on Wednesday cost wise would we have to pay you all day or just for the pickup/drop off hours? Also would you still be able to have him during half terms/school holidays?

What would you charge for this?

Thanks

melco

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

personally i would only charge for the hours LO was with me, but there are a lot of CMs who would charge the full day especially as you will have LO when its holidays for the preschool.

I think it all comes down to preference. It does sound as though the parent is expecting to still pay you for the whole day though.

Glitter Guest

I think it would depend on whether Mum would want you to be 'on call' to collect the child if something happened at pre-school. If Mum wanted you to be available to have the child if pre-school was closed, or if the child was sent home, then I would charge for the full day.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would charge all day for the Wednesday and so keep that day free. For holidays I would do a variation for continuity of care unless the parents paid for the full days for the other two days.

If they opt not to pay the two days full fee then I would explain that you have a booking from for holiday care and that it has to be completed 4 weeks in advance of care being required and full fee is paid at time of booking and is non refundable if the day then isn't used. I also charge a higher hourly rate for holiday or term time only. I charge £1 hour more rather than charge retainer fees.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would charge all day for the Wednesday and so keep that day free. For holidays I would do a variation for continuity of care unless the parents paid for the full days for the other two days.

If they opt not to pay the two days full fee then I would explain that you have a booking from for holiday care and that it has to be completed 4 weeks in advance of care being required and full fee is paid at time of booking and is non refundable if the day then isn't used. I also charge a higher hourly rate for holiday or term time only. I charge £1 hour more rather than charge retainer fees.

I hate it when parents do this as they want the best of both worlds and to pay as little as possible, I also hate it when they book time at pre school and ask me afterwards with the expectation that I will fit in with them and not worry about the lost income and the inability to be able to fill the gaps!

I have learnt to get quite tough because after all they haven't really considered me when they made the choices so I always do what is best for me and mt setting as well. Why should they feel bad about my reaction and choices if they haven't consulted me before they applied?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

How odd it has posted my post 3 times as I edited it!!! sorry just read the last version!

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Email the parent first and ask are you on stand by when child is at pre school that way parent will be aware of what you are considering when doing your fees. If they say yes then you reply full fee as normal if they say no then you might have to come up with a price to reflect this
    Tess1981

nov 02
    Post Thanks / Like

why do parents always email or txt things like this instead of just asking when they next come to your house!

9. Likes Merlot liked this post