Food fees
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Food fees

Post Thanks / Like

Default Food fees

Hi, I'm just starting out and have set my fees as £5ph which includes all foods but if I have an enquiry from a family who do not want food (because of hours or bring their own) should I charge less? I feel bad charging the same but want to keep my fees simple.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Registered Childminder since
    May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Your fees are your fees and if they don't want your food then that's up to them. I wouldn't discount because it would be a hard one to calculate and you can bet your bottom dollar whatever you knock off won't be enough in their eyes.

I am all inclusive too. I have in my policies what time meals are and state a child has to be here at those times to get the meal /snack. I've had requests in the past or late breakfasts and early teas so as parents get their moneys worth. When I was new I did accommodate this but it was a nightmare so have got quite strict. However I will tweak occasionally for regular clients if they need an early pick up for some reason, but only by about 15mins
    Last edited by Tealady; 11-03-2014 at 10:22 AM.

3. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leahsfx View Post
    Hi, I'm just starting out and have set my fees as £5ph which includes all foods but if I have an enquiry from a family who do not want food (because of hours or bring their own) should I charge less? I feel bad charging the same but want to keep my fees simple.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Don't feel bad, if your fee includes all foods then it is up to the parent whether they take it or not. My hourly fee includes food but one parent doesn't need her child to have breakfast but she was fine with that as it's her choice to feed him at home. Defo keep it simple

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I agree. My fee includes all food snacks and outings and I still have one parent who sends the children's dinners cooked and a snack. I asked her why and she said I have enough to do and she wants to lighten my load a little I have other kids I cook for but I don't argue . she was also the one who bought me flowers a couple weeks ago
    Tess1981

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tess1981 View Post
    Yes I agree. My fee includes all food snacks and outings and I still have one parent who sends the children's dinners cooked and a snack. I asked her why and she said I have enough to do and she wants to lighten my load a little I have other kids I cook for but I don't argue . she was also the one who bought me flowers a couple weeks ago
    Aww that's nice it's good to be shown appreciation x

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, I'll keep it simple

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Again I have had parents that provided all food even when I included it in the fees. Got to the stage that everyone was bringing their own food - do you think they were saying something about my cooking

I still charged the same rate

Nov 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would keep it the same too - if you were to reduce it then you would prob end up doing yourself! As a set amount off each hour would end up being much more than the meals worth xx

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

My hourly rate includes meals. They can take it or leave it. But the rate stays the same.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I say meals are free for those who do more than a certain number of hours. But if they don't want a meal, they don't get a refund (why would they when they haven't paid for anything?). It also makes me feel on firmer ground when I say to parents food is offered on a take it or leave it basis. I can't make the child eat, and if they choose not to, I do not offer an alternative. Most parents will then get behind persuading children to eat up what's offered and not be picky, as otherwise they will have to feed them themselves at their own expense and effort.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tealady View Post
    Your fees are your fees and if they don't want your food then that's up to them. I wouldn't discount because it would be a hard one to calculate and you can bet your bottom dollar whatever you knock off won't be enough in their eyes.

I am all inclusive too. I have in my policies what time meals are and state a child has to be here at those times to get the meal /snack. I've had requests in the past or late breakfasts and early teas so as parents get their moneys worth. When I was new I did accommodate this but it was a nightmare so have got quite strict. However I will tweak occasionally for regular clients if they need an early pick up for some reason, but only by about 15mins
    I do this as well. I can't be bothered to charge individually and do all the money in money out accounting lol! Also I suspect I would get parents arguing if the child is off sick and I have bought the food or even prepared a meal. I have always been all inclusive. If the child isn't here for a meal time because it isn't contracted hours then they are not paying for the hour in which the meal is served anyway, if the parent collects or delivers late or early that is their choice.

I have never charged a day rate always by the hour.

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose it would depend on why they don't want meals.

I charge £5p/h and that's inclusive of all meals and snacks. Mealtime in eve is 5.15ish so if they don't want a meal because it falls outside of contracted hours, then they won't be charged anyway. If it's for another reason, maybe dietary needs, then I try to work with parents to find a middle ground. This is after several consecutive meltdowns because one mindee had a different tea to someone else.

I absolutely agree make it easy for yourself, and think worse case scenario so that you never regret your decision! It's much more straightforward to be firm (but fair) from the get go! Xx