would you take a child with  NO set day or hours?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default would you take a child with NO set day or hours?

hello,
    I have someone who came to see me for childminding for a 18 months old child.
    The problem is that the dad is self employed with no set days and time, which means some weeks he might not work and not need me and some weeks he might need me for a few hours or days.
    they need flexibiliy from monday to friday and only want to pay when they need help.
    Not sure about it as I can end up with nothing for weeks.
    The mum work and the dad looks after child when not working.
    Also the contract will be difficult to write as there is no weekly payment, days..
    would you do it??
    thanks

June 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I wouldn't do it. You will not be able to fill the days they don't want you and you will lose money.

Jan 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest........no. But its down to how much you need the work, if you did decide to go for it you should ( in my opinion) negotiate a significantly higher fee to cover some of the unused days you will be left with, hth xx

Mar12
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm afraid it isn't something I'd do either I like to plan what we're going to do for the week by what children I have when. It's up to you if you think it'll work for you go for it.

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would offer an ad-hoc contract BUT if I was full on a certain day I would not be able to have the child - my ad-hoc contract states this and the parents sign to say they understand as well as to agree the contract. I could not guarantee 5 days a week indefinitely without some kind of retainer. Explain that you are also self-employed and cannot guarantee a place without any income as you are limited by registration requirements

Do not be afraid to say to the parents that it will not work for you.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If I wanted to work with the family I would offer an ad hoc contract at a higher rate, but explain that I could only have the child if I had the space available and that I was under no obligation to keep any spaces free.

They would be welcome to book time up to two weeks in advance, but they would have to pay for it at the time of booking and the money wouldn't be refunded if they didn't use the time.

I would also explain that if I had more enquiries that wanted permanent places, i would no longer be able to offer them any days.

If they didn't like that they'd be free to look elsewhere, or pay for proper contracted days.

AS for filling in a contract, I just put 'ad hoc care'

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I would BUT only if I was already as busy as I wanted to be and would see this one as extra bonus income. I would either charge a higher hourly rate or charge a minimum number of hours per week whether I had the baby or not...

PLUS... this baby might be a dream and settle straight away but might not settle well as no regularly contact

8. Likes Mrs Scrubbit liked this post
    Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I have done in the past as don't need or want to be full

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would but only on an ad hoc basis - so they only pay for what they use and if I can't do it I say no. I don't keep any spaces for them. I wouldn't keep a space available every day for this. Maybe the child could come for 1 set day a week contracted and then if they need ad hoc on a day when you already have 3 under 5s and you feel you could manage with a 4th that day you could?

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

From a different perspective - it does depend how confident the child is, to have an 18 month old with no routine can be a 'nightmare' and if they are away full weeks then settling in can be an ongoing task, everytime they come it could be like groundhog day .

If you want to do it, I think it would have to be on a mutual ad - hoc basis i.e they can come if you have the space - if no space then they can't come. Personally I don't think it is fair on the child and could affect a positive transition into childcare but you will have to make that call from your experience of the family. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

What is ad- hoc?

Post Thanks / Like

I would only do it as a bump up to your income and have other children full time too. I'd also negotiate a weekly fee to keep the space open, so you get paid something should you not have the child one week.

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks. I will talk to them again and try to get one day minimum per week

Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I just had a parent ask the same,
    Needing me two weeks for before and afterschool,
    Dad works offshore so he would take the extra two weeks,
    Of course she didn't want to pay the extra two weeks,
    I explained that very few childminders would even consider working like this & it's something that unless paid for the full month I would be un-willing to undertake either as it's very unlikely another parent would come looking for the exact same two weeks before and after.

So to answer your question,

No I wouldn't, it's a space you could fill full time

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by someonepops View Post
    What is ad- hoc?
    As and when, no fixed days/times, some weeks not at all.