late fees letter
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default late fees letter

Hello all

Over the last few months. My parents have become increasingly late in paying. My bills come out on the first and I ask for payment by the 28th. Only 1 parent pays ontime so I tend to have to chase for the money. Thankfully every other month I have a few days grace that I can sort this and cover my bills. This month I do not and need the payments.

Can anyone help me on what to write in a nice but firm manner. Im useless at this.

Thank you xx

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I would put it in a newsletter saying something like: I would like to remind you all that fees are due and cleared in my bank by the 28th of each month.

I have my parents fees calculated over the 12 months so get the same amount each month and payed to me on direct debit each month so they are not late, if there are any extras these are paid seperately either into the bank or by cheque/cash

Hope you can get things sorted
    Cath

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Always a hard one this and I think the bain of any childminders life.

I have just put a note in our Newsletter which reads as follows.

Payment Dates – Please remember that, as stated on your contract, all payments are to be made by the 30th of each month.
    A late payment charge of £10 will be applied, if payment is not made on or before this date.
    If there is a problem in making the payment date then please contact us.

We have used the late payment fee a couple of times which does work

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i would do a general letter too. making sure to thank everyone for paying on time then reminding late payers that a late fee will apply at xxx per day until payment is made.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that I would put it in a general letter, possibly highlighted so that it stands out and parents can't say that they missed it. Definitely mention a late fee (mine is £5 per day, although I've never had to apply it).

6. Likes Greengrass74 liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The content of your letter will depend largely upon the content of your contracts and policies. Do you have late fees? Do you reserve the right to suspend your service if payments are late? Do you say you will withdraw the right for clients to pay by Childcare Voucher/cheque/etc. if it isn't done in good time? etc. etc. If not, get these included at the next contract review.

The tone of the letter will depend on your relationship with the clients and how badly they need to be told to start taking you seriously. Unfortunately, some people think that good ol'-fashioned straight-talking is "offensive", or that it's "rude" to tell them you no longer wish to be treated as a doormat.

If you have late fees in your contracts, then I'd be minded to give each client a calculation of how much they would have paid to date if you'd enforced the late fees. Then state that you will be enforcing them from now on. A big number with a £sign in front always seems to concentrate a client's mind.